Car Insurance

Silvercloud said:
As long as they are fully comp. Beware though they will only be covered for 3rd party fire and theft.

This...and also if you were on company insurance as that sometimes covers you as well. Depending on the policy of course.

Most policies have a driving other cars extension on them which is a wording on the certificate saying you can drive other peoples car with their permission. That will only cover you for third party only (so damage or injuries you cause) not theft or fire but then again cars dont get stolen while you are in them! They dont need to have comprehensive cover on their car this DOC extension is added if you are normally over 25 or 21 with certain companies and dont have any significant driving convictions. I have heard of the police querying this though as really a car being driven should be insured by its owner.

mancitymick said:
I thought they could only drive it if they have your permission and you have insurance

That's my worry. They've got my permission because it's my mum and dad using it, just that my insurance has expired and I've no intentions of renewing

The Fat el Hombre said:
mancitymick said:
I thought they could only drive it if they have your permission and you have insurance

That's my worry. They've got my permission because it's my mum and dad using it, just that my insurance has expired and I've no intentions of renewing

Third party insurance is a minimum legal requirement if you own a car. You are committing a criminal offence by not having it. I believe it also invalidates your Road Fund Licence (which won't itself be a problem if you make a SORN declaration).

markyboyblue said:
Most policies have a driving other cars extension on them which is a wording on the certificate saying you can drive other peoples car with their permission. That will only cover you for third party only (so damage or injuries you cause) not theft or fire but then again cars dont get stolen while you are in them! They dont need to have comprehensive cover on their car this DOC extension is added if you are normally over 25 or 21 with certain companies and dont have any significant driving convictions. I have heard of the police querying this though as really a car being driven should be insured by its owner.
The majority of insurers are removing this extension.

It's no longer on my policy.

The Fat el Hombre said:
If you've got a car but have no insurance on it, is it still ok for other people to drive your car?

Absolutely no way!

Any car on the road has to have insurance in its own right, regardless of whether or not any driver using has their own insurance allowing them to drive other cars.

If someone uses your car on the raod and they pass one of those number plate recognition cameras, they will be stopped, your car will be taken off them and possibly crushed - I know someone this happened to.

Also, is it taxed? Not normally possible to get tax without an insurance certificate for the reg.

The Fat el Hombre said:
mancitymick said:

if they are both designated main drivers on their own insurance and both fully comprehensive, then they can both drive your car with your permission, but they will only be covered on your car for 3rd party fire & theft.

if however, your mum is only named driver on your dads fully comprehensive policy, then your mum wont be insured to drive your car, only your dad

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.