Car insurance

ello_jo

Getting a new car on Wednesday and I'm going to be the main driver of it but it's not going to be registered in my name? How do I go about insurance? Do I have to go down as a named driver under the registered keeper? Also do I get to keep my no claims?

The registered keeper is not required to insure a car!

Your partner can insure it with you as named driver.

We do this and swap every 3 years to ensure we don't lose our no claims bonuses, which disappear after a few years on no insurance.

Done if for 20 years, had claims, never a problem.

We do this and swap every 3 years to ensure we don't lose our no claims bonuses, which disappear after a few years on no insurance.

denislawsbackheel said:

Who is the owner? That's the issue. To legally insure a vehicle you have to have an interest in it.

If it's husband or wife, there's no real issue. If it's owned by anyone else, there becomes an issue.

The registered keeper of a car does not necessary mean they are the owner.
When the deal was done on the car the owner (purchaser) could of registered the car in your name.
If not, this can be done anytime once you have the vehicle and V5.

Most insurance companies I have dealt with are a bit funny insuring people on vehicles if they are not the registered keeper.

Mossy1973 said:
The registered keeper of a car does not necessary mean they are the owner.
When the deal was done on the car the owner (purchaser) could of registered the car in your name.
If not, this can be done anytime once you have the vehicle and V5.

Most insurance companies I have dealt with are a bit funny insuring people on vehicles if they are not the registered keeper.

Agreed, the V5 states "this document is not proof of ownership". The main, and legal issue, is ownership. If the OP doesn't own the vehicle he can't really insure it. If it is registered to someone else, the insurers would want at least to know why (maybe it's registered to a business for example)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.