Cardiff new expansion plan, bigger than MCFC's! :-)

adr2.8i

And i know this will be boring for a lot of you but i was just wondering for the people who might have been to the old cardiff ground and maybe have made the recent trip to the new ground, how you compare the 2 grounds in terms of atmosphere and looks?

for me i still prefer the old ninian park

its just been announced that our stadium is to be increased to nearly 35,000 for next season and a few pics have been released.

Last edited:
I've been to Ninian park but not the new ground

I much prefer the new grounds over the old except for the seating.

Maine Rd went all seater for quite some time before we moved to our new ground, and I much prefer the new ground in terms of facilities, appearance and atmosphere.

We have yet to hear official confirmation of MCFC's expansion plans. I think it's still at the consultative stage, but its supposed to be starting this season. There's already a lot of work going on around the ground with work on the new Training Ground. It's on the far side of the ground to the way I approach it so so far I have had to rely on pictures. I tried to post some on here, but they were too big. You can see more at http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1417210&page=26

I'm hoping your win over us has given our players, manager and fans a lesson

Any early views on how the Premiership will shape up?

Chelsea - Champions if Eto'o works out. Or Utd. I like the look of Liverpool too. Very solid, with two goal-scorers (most teams are lucky if they have one)

MCFC - Top half, but I'm quite pessimistic after what I have seen so far. Pellegrini's tactics are so much different to Mancini, so much so that I don't think they are suited to what have been our best players like Yaya and Silva. Still very very early days though. Hopefully our new manager will be a little bit more cautious in the coming games. Sometimes playing wingers and 2 forwards makes for less attacking than a 5 man midfield.

Cardiff - Safe because of home form

You can extend it all you want but you need to get your priorities right first.

Can you please employ more bar staff in the boozer outside your ground as the service is shit.

Many Thanks!

Danamy

need to fill it aswell. can't juat sell out for games against us, chelsea, Liverpool, spurs, swansea and them. you need to sell out to the likes of palace, everton, Newcastle. which was clear that you didn't against everton. I don't think we'll constantly sell out 60k when it happens. but we have more chance of doing so than a club like cardiff

Danamy said:

Can you please employ more bar staff in the boozer outside your ground as the service is shit.

Many Thanks!

Danamy
And don't run out of beer before halftime at the first home game of the season

You'd have made enough to buy a new ground serving to City

just looked and it says there was more at everton than our game. Obviously you count the ticket sales and not the people that actually enter the stadium, like us. because there were loads of seats spare half way through the second half. oh and I went to the new ground, never went to ninian park but must say the set up and everything about the new place was spot on. opening the turnstiles at half time for smokers to have a fag, the queueing system for beer etc. wish our place took some notes on how to do it from your lot

squirtyflower said:
Danamy said:

Many Thanks!

Danamy
And don't run out of beer before halftime at the first home game of the season

You'd have made enough to buy a new ground serving to City

Last edited:
adr2.8i said:
mcfc1894 said:
need to fill it aswell. can't juat sell out for games against us, chelsea, Liverpool, spurs, swansea and them. you need to sell out to the likes of palace, everton, Newcastle. which was clear that you didn't against everton. I don't think we'll constantly sell out 60k when it happens. but we have more chance of doing so than a club like cardiff

i had my first season ticket in 1993 and we won the old 4th division title and we averaged almost 10,000 that season, and we were still in the old 3rd division in 2002 remember and we averaged something like 14,000, a decent enough figure (but not a patch on the 33,000 averages MCFC had in the 3rd tier which is bloody amazing it has to be said) and we used to stand on the terraces and say stuff like "imagine how many we would get if we were in the premier league.......we could fill a 60,000 stadium no problem.......the potential here is massive, we just need some money"

and now we are there, reality has kicked in, and most of us have been priced out of the games. Like most people i have a family and a mortgage and simply cant afford my season ticket anymore. I dreamt of seeing CCFC in the premier league and now they are there, i can hardly afford to go! :-(

As you say, it will be easy to fill the ground for the big teams and little swansea, but i think 35,000 is probably the most realistically we should expand to and the moment.
Football at the very top level appeals to a whole different group of people who would never dream of following Man City or Cardiff in the lower divisions.

I normally know most of the faces around me as most people are season ticket holders but against Real Madrid there was a whole army of new supporters with phones and digital cameras there for the moment and to see the stars. The marketing guys will say that you need to have a premium product to attract these people, but it has certainly helped our crowds in recent years.

We used to be known as the "Free the 30,000". We had 30k going to see City in the lower Leagues getting tortured no matter what, but come he FA Cups the crowds would be back down. We had a loyal hard core who just couldn't go to every game

Now every League game (bar one) and FA Cup game for two years has sold out and the club are planning on a 60k stadium.

It's great as long as the 30k who stood by the club can still go. But the fans who turn up with the cameras and autograph books wont want to know if City dip a little bit

That was a canny trick by Cardiff, selling tickets for seats that had been ripped out in the close season to form a new gangway in the away section! We had seats 974 and 975 only to see seat 973 on one side of the gangway and seat 976 on the other!

Despite that I quite liked your new stadium, it certainly generated a good atmosphere and was a million miles better than that craphole Ninian Park which I visited twice in the 80s and then again for that FA Cup tie in '94, although I've no doubt you guys are as emotionally attached to the old ground as many City fans are to Maine Rd. I don't recall much atmosphere at Ninian Park on the first two visits as I don't think the ground was anywhere near full, the Cup tie was lively, almost too lively after the match!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.