Cardinal Pell.

For better or worse, a decision of a jury would never get overturned like that over here.
It's a strange one.

To be found guilty by a jury, and then for judges to say they made the wrong decision as they only relied on one witnesses testimony, is a pure and simple overrule that makes a mockery of trial by jury. It's not like they came up with new or previously withheld evidence?

It's a strange one.

To be found guilty by a jury, and then for judges to say they made the wrong decision as they only relied on one witnesses testimony, is a pure and simple overrule that makes a mockery of trial by jury. It's not like they came up with new or previously withheld evidence?
Not based in what I read, no. As you say, it seems counter-intuitive. Our system is predicated on the infallibility of juries, through the prism of the requisite standard of proof; although if truth be told, that predication is clearly a lie. Juries are bound to make mistakes from time to time - to suggest otherwise is simply absurd.

My personal view is that more mistakes (both ways) occur in trials of historic sexual abuse than any other. This is because the only meaningful evidence is frequently the oral testimony of the accuser and the accused, which is usually evaluated simply on their respective performances - which some people are simply better at than others, irrespective of whether they are telling the truth or not.

it’s a difficult one: I think juries’ instincts are usually right; I believe it’s the ‘least worst’ system available; and of course we should prosecute people accused of historical sexual offences (with certain robust caveats) - but the notion that juries never get things wrong, even with all the available evidence being before them, doesn’t stand up to any objective scrutiny, or the lessons of history.

Not based in what I read, no. As you say, it seems counter-intuitive. Our system is predicated on the infallibility of juries, through the prism of the requisite standard of proof; although if truth be told, that predication is clearly a lie. Juries are bound to make mistakes from time to time - to suggest otherwise is simply absurd.

My personal view is that more mistakes (both ways) occur in trials of historic sexual abuse than any other. This is because the only meaningful evidence is frequently the oral testimony of the accuser and the accused, which is usually evaluated simply on their respective performances - which some people are simply better at than others, irrespective of whether they are telling the truth or not.

it’s a difficult one: I think juries’ instincts are usually right; I believe it’s the ‘least worst’ system available; and of course we should prosecute people accused of historical sexual offences (with certain robust caveats) - but the notion that juries never get things wrong, even with all the available evidence being before them, doesn’t stand up to any objective scrutiny, or the lessons of history.
Wouldn't disagree with that, with one possible exception. The older I get, and the more people I come across, I'm not sure juries are the 'least worst' option to be honest. Some people simply do not have the faculties to comprehend a lot of the evidence in a case, especially complex cases. I guess it keeps the general public on side to a degree, as we have involvement in the process, but I doubt it increases the 'accuracy' of convictions.

Released to live out his days in the safety of the Vatican City surrounded by young male priests.........

Wouldn't disagree with that, with one possible exception. The older I get, and the more people I come across, I'm not sure juries are the 'least worst' option to be honest. Some people simply do not have the faculties to comprehend a lot of the evidence in a case, especially complex cases. I guess it keeps the general public on side to a degree, as we have involvement in the process, but I doubt it increases the 'accuracy' of convictions.
I think the problem with any alternative system is that it would inevitably involve the judiciary in the decision making process. Circuit judges are generally a cynical, case-hardened group who’ve heard and seen it all before. It would almost certainly lead to a higher conviction rate. Most circuit judges are prosecution minded these days, that’s for sure. This contention is supported by the conviction rate in the magistrates’ court (either via district judge or lay bench) which is considerably higher than the crown court and in Japan, where jury trials aren’t part of the system, where I think the conviction rate is over 98%

That will give some people a hard-on, no doubt, but it’s a dangerous road to go down, and would doubtless enable the investigating authorities to take short cuts more readily which would inevitably lead to more miscarriages of justice.

I take your point about complex cases - I certainly wouldn’t want to sit through one - but I don’t think there’s a straightforward answer.

Last edited:
This contention is supported by the conviction rate in the magistrates’ court

From the figures we can also see that an astonishing ninety four percent of defendants that are tried in a magistrates court plead guilty. This is due to the magistrate court dealing with summary offences such as minor theft or driving offences.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.