Carmen Young, Nellies widow

Alex at Wembley I blagged my way into the Bobby Moore section with my 2 red and black scarves that you gave me.

As they came up the steps, I put one round Tevez neck but as he went to collect the cup he took it off, then the other scarf i put round Bernard Halfords neck which he kept on and lifted the FA cup with it on..........

red and black for Neil Young..........

I worked with Neil whilst I was making a documentary on Bert Trautmann. I was invited into his home to interview him and Carmen was the perfect host and a very lovely and special lady. My film crew enjoyed Neil's contribution so much we decided to ask him to be interviewed on the demolished Maine Road site and at the COMs, as it was called then, along with Ken Barnes. He was the perfect gentleman, very patient and a very kind and gentle soul. A Manchester City fan through and through, as well as being a legend, with no ego involved whatsoever. I am now working in Paraguay and had a quiet tear or two when I heard of his passing.

I met them both again when Neil was promoting his book at the Northenden OSC, where Neil told me he had wanted to include a tribute that my brother Mark had written on behalf of the Northenden OSC in his book, but the publishers wouldn't do it sadly. I hope that Carmen can read that, as I know that really touched Neil greatly. Maybe it could be placed on here to illustrate what a great majority of blues felt about Nelly. I was also grateful to be able to give Neil and Carmen a copy of the film, "Hello Fritz! Fancy a Cup of Tea?" and can only hope that film can contribute some comfort to her over the years and for her to know that her husband was deeply admired and loved by all City fans. Carmen your loss is our loss and you will always remain in my thoughts when I think fondly of a great man who touched so many people's lives. Bless you.

I remember watching Nelly when we were crap in the early/mid sixties, and he never ever failed to put in a shift. Great player, very underrated (imo).

Like Mike Doyle, a true blue.....

Carmen rang me after last night's game. She tells me she put something in the Garden of Remembrance prior to the game for Neil which should be worth a visit at the next home game for all Nellie fans.

I was able to tell her of some of the nice tributes and comments on Bluemoon. She told how much she appreciated all the messages both prior and at the time of Neil's passing. The comments all make her feel so much better and she would welcome more.

If anybody would like to send Carmen a comment please email them to me at alexchannon81@gmail.com and I'll print them off and get them to her. If you would prefer to write to her please send it to Carmen c/o me and I'll pass it on. I never open the letters, cards etc with Carmen's name on. If you want my address please PM me and I'll give it to you.

Nice touch from Kismet re the Black & Red scarf. Bernard kept that scarf with the FA Cup. Myself, Carmen and others had photo's taken wearing that scarf with the FA Cup at the Cheque presentation at Wythenshawe Hospital. For me it will always be Red & Black for Nellie.

Eccles Blue said:
Alex

Please pass on my best wishes to Carmen.

On another note, how are you now? Are you getting around ok?

Have a good Christmas and New Year.

Eccles Blue.
x

Hi Sheila, will do. Saw you after the game last night and tried to get your attention but you were busy chatting up one of the stewards. I'm still on crutches and have only just started getting to games again.

A very Merry Christmas to you to and all on Bluemoon.

Alex the Blue said:
Eccles Blue said:
Alex

Please pass on my best wishes to Carmen.

On another note, how are you now? Are you getting around ok?

Have a good Christmas and New Year.

Eccles Blue.
x

Hi Sheila, will do. Saw you after the game last night and tried to get your attention but you were busy chatting up one of the stewards. I'm still on crutches and have only just started getting to games again.

A very Merry Christmas to you to and all on Bluemoon.

Hi Alex,

I have this thing for stewards!!! *lol* Sorry I missed you but glad that you are getting around again. Have a great Christmas, will look out for you on 3rd January.

Sheila

Chris in London said:
Alex the Blue said:
I had a very long conversation with Carmen Young yesterday. She is still very much grieving over the loss of her husband Neil Young and our legend, 'Nelly'.

Despite her great sadness Carmen once again asked me to thank all supporters for the great support of the Neil Young Appeal.

So on behalf of Carmen may I thank all who supported the Appeal, sent Carmen messages of support etc. Diamonds everyone of you.

My grandad died almost 30 years ago. Sadly, I was only just getting to the point where I could really understand and appreciate some of the things he was telling me when he died, and I feel I missed a real opportunity to know him better before he died. But I do remember him clearly telling me what a great player Neil Young was, and what a truly nice guy off the pitch too.

There isn't a lot you can say on a football forum that brings solace for those who are grieving. But if there is the slightest comfort for Carmen in knowing that thousands of total strangers loved Neil, and thousands more who are no longer around to say themselves that they loved him too, then the Internet might not be such a bad thing after all.

Thank you for everything Neil, from me and my grandad

mate your grandad was right, im only 23 but could tell you so much about neil, i was raised in bramhall was lucky enough to have neil as my football coach from the age of 6 til the age of 11, neil was one of the nicest men i ever met, he always,always had time for every single one of us, if that meant staying behine an extra 45 mins with someone who was maybe struggling it was not a problem to him (for no extra charge of cours:) i still cherish the trophies i have from him, i was one of his faves i like to think cos i loved city and had the videos of him.. one day in 1995 (or was it 94??) when i was 7 my dad asked neil if it would be possible for him to get us 2 tickets for my first ever derby, neil said he would see what he could do. the next week at the end of training after school on the weds night neil asked me to stay behind.. and what do you know he had managed to place his hands on two of only around 900 tickets to watch city at o.t the following night (i dont remember why we played on a thurs) we all know what happened we lost 5-0 but ill never forget the things like this neil did for us!!! there are many lads and one girl who went to pownall green primary in bramhall who could share many stories like this!! carmen must be very proud!! thanks so much neil for being part of what made me fall in love with city so much til the day i die i will remember your kindness!!! r.i.p blue army

She was sat at the front of the coach at the top on the way to wembley for the semi-final against the rags with her daughter, i was on the end seat at the front at the side of her.

recognised her straight away, had a good chat on the way down there. Her daughter seemed a really nice lady to.

I still shed a tear or two when I read such tributes to Neil, also Mick and Big Mal they made such an impact on my life. Wonderfull memories I cherish forever.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.