Centre back options

Mangala himself thinks he is most likely to stay as a back up LB or LCB if he stays. He just wasn't sure when I asked him if he was going to stay or not.

I'd keep him for this season and see how he gets on. Especially if we're going to be playing with 3 at the back. He's left footed so will help with the balance of the team. Still think there's lot of improvement in him.

We are not going to be able to get a CB who is better or equal to what we already have for anything less than £35 million in the current climate.

Personally I'd keep Mangala. He's different and can physically handle the stronger attackers. If we're defending a 1 goal lead away at a long ball side like WBA or United then he'd be the perfect option to bring on.

Plus I don't see his lack of passing ability to be a major problem. The majority of teams that we play just turn up to defend and all you want your CB to do is give it to the likes of Yaya or KDB who normally drop deep or pass it to the more accomplished passer is Stones, Vinny or Ota.

Kompany is a shoe in to start when fit. The club won't give up on Stones who is also a top defender and Otamendi is a criminally underrated player who is easily one of the best CBs in the PL.

Trying to sell the position of 4th choice CB might be difficult to a player but it looks like Eli will be willing to take a squad role and will cost nothing!

It's an near enough impossible task in finding the right Centre back for anything less than £35m. Although I think Mangala should be moved on, he could do a job for this season.

Last edited:
I'm rooting for a Manga comeback, I think it just makes massive sense to keep him around as depth, but unfortunately just can't see it happening.

We are not going to be able to get a CB who is better or equal to what we already have for anything less than £35 million in the current climate.

Personally I'd keep Mangala. He's different and can physically handle the stronger attackers. If we're defending a 1 goal lead away at a long ball side like WBA or United then he'd be the perfect option to bring on.

Plus I don't see his lack of passing ability to be a major problem. The majority of teams that we play just turn up to defend and all you want your CB to do is give it to the likes of Yaya or KDB who normally drop deep or pass it to the more accomplished passer is Stones, Vinny or Ota.

Kompany is a shoe in to start when fit. The club won't give up on Stones who is also a top defender and Otamendi is a criminally underrated player who is easily one of the best CBs in the PL.

Trying to sell the position of 4th choice CB might be difficult to a player but it looks like Eli will be willing to take a squad role and will cost nothing!

I've had a sneaking feeling for a while that we're gonna keep Mangala.

keep Mangala and sign another LB to rotate with Mendy.
Danilo was excellent this morning. Wouldn't mind mangala staying as if we want to play 3 at the back we need another cb but he is far to physical he needs to calm down he wouldnt last 90mins for us with a premier league ref.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.