Centre back options

He quite clearly singled out Kompany & even mentioned how Pellegrini missed him.

How you can twist this is remarkable.

Pellegrini had Otamendi pretty much every week., yet he missed having a 'proper' centre back.

You are basically saying Guardiola was just waffling shite, as it doesn't fit in with your opinion.

We need a centre back, as much or more than any other position, assuming we have not sold all our fullbacks witbout replacements lined up.

Richard Dunne knows. Martin Keown knows. Souness knows. Friends & enemies, scholars of football & casual observers, pretty much every fan you ask, of every other team, all are singing in unison, that City need a better alternative to Kompany.

As is often the case, the only people who are last to realise, are a small minority group of City fans. I bet even Robbie Savage has noticed.

If we don't sign a cb, it will be because we can't get the ones we want.

Behind the scenes, we will be trying to sign one, constantly, until we solve the problem.
This s a conundrum. Guardiola said on a couple of occasions that Pellegrini had communicated his disappointment about the loss of Kompany. At the time I thought that was very significant and was a very public acknowledgement of weakness and yet our transfer market activity seems to contradict this.

Heard the mystery signing could be mangala anybody think we may give him a chance to shine?
Where did you hear it? And why do you think it is plausible?
Personally I think it is highly unlikely, potentially a very decent defender indeed but doesn't have the ability to take the ball in tight areas that Pep requires, which is presumably why we didn't use him last year.

This s a conundrum. Guardiola said on a couple of occasions that Pellegrini had communicated his disappointment about the loss of Kompany. At the time I thought that was very significant and was a very public acknowledgement of weakness and yet our transfer market activity seems to contradict this.

We already have Mangala, Denayer, Tosin if we wanted to fill the spot. We don't have a desperate need for a centre back, we have a desperate need for a top quality centre back.

If nobody who fits that bill is available, then there is no point in bothering.

It wouldn't surprise me if the plan was to get our deals done, at suitable prices, seeing what we have left, & maybe make a stupidly high, Utd style, bid for Van Dijk, if we could afford it.

Alves has probably killed that or any similar attempt at getting a genuine top player for that position.

We already have Mangala, Denayer, Tosin if we wanted to fill the spot. We don't have a desperate need for a centre back, we have a desperate need for a top quality centre back.

If nobody who fits that bill is available, then there is no point in bothering.

It wouldn't surprise me if the plan was to get our deals done, at suitable prices, seeing what we have left, & maybe make a stupidly high, Utd style, bid for Van Dijk, if we could afford it.

Alves has probably killed that or any similar attempt at getting a genuine top player for that position.
I agree. I had dismissed Mangala and Denayer in my mind.

I don't think Pep ever said that. He said he (Pep) believed Pelegrini must have missed him. He also said he didn't speak to Pelegrini.

Its commonsense to think any team might miss a one time deemed best defender in the world. That was simply what Pep was alluding to. He was simply saying Komps is great and Pelegrini must have missed him. Nice compliment. But the extrapolation from.there to we need a CB is fallacious.

We need a CB, the way we need Messi. Meaning Messi will make us immeasurably better. But we don't have a specific need for him.

We needed a few fullbacks coz we didn't have any.

We needed a goalie coz we lost 1 and the other was very poor last season.

We need an attacking player coz our conversion rates were low. Some, might argue, myself included, that this could be improved internally with players improving with experience and knowledge in the system.

If a Messi of CB become a available, of course we'll take him. But its a want and not a need. We actually have 4 capable CBs. 3 of whom Pep likes a lot. If we go by how he has talked about them.

I don't think Pep ever said that. He said he (Pep) believed Pelegrini must have missed him. He also said he didn't speak to Pelegrini.

Its commonsense to think any team might miss a one time deemed best defender in the world. That was simply what Pep was alluding to. He was simply saying Komps is great and Pelegrini must have missed him. Nice compliment. But the extrapolation from.there to we need a CB is fallacious.

We need a CB, the way we need Messi. Meaning Messi will make us immeasurably better. But we don't have a specific need for him.

We needed a few fullbacks coz we didn't have any.

We needed a goalie coz we lost 1 and the other was very poor last season.

We need an attacking player coz our conversion rates were low. Some, might argue, myself included, that this could be improved internally with players improving with experience and knowledge in the system.

If a Messi of CB become a available, of course we'll take him. But its a want and not a need. We actually have 4 capable CBs. 3 of whom Pep likes a lot. If we go by how he has talked about them.

He did say that.

He did say that.

Starting At 1:45:
"I'm not going to discover the quality of that guy "I think" last season Manuel Pelegrini missed him a lot."

Starting at 3:10
"Pretty sure of that, I didn't speak with him but I'm pretty sure Manuel Pelegrini missed him a lot last season...last 2 seasons."

Sometimes it is mind boggling how cocksure you can be about things you are demonstrably wrong about.

You are so loose with facts its annoying arguing with you.

Just got a feeling this ban could be more serious than City are letting out & we are putting our eggs in 1 basket with £300m being spent hoping with the sales of Bony, Kelechi, Delph, Denyar, Fernando, Mangala, Nolito, Nasri, Kolarov & Zaba, Clichy & Sagna gone we are looking for the best part of £100m.

£78m already spent with Walker, Mendy & Bertrand another £100m, Alvez free, Sanchez £50m & then Dembele & a CB will be another £100m. It's to mad to take in for me it's either Aguero is sold & then both in or Aguero stays & a CB is bought.

Increasingly I am coming to the view that a £300 million transfer budget is not going to be enough for what we need this summer (especially if the transfer ban does come into place, which in turn might mean the upcoming season is Pep's last chance to make something of himself at City). I mean (using your figures) to get Walker, Mendy, Bertrand, Alvez, O.Dembele and another CB would end up costing £328 million alone.

Likewise considering how I would prefer if City (because quite frankly they need all these players) got someone like Alaba or Sandero (+£50 Million) instead of Bertrand as our other LB purchase, buying Hugo Lloris (+£35-40 million) as our second choice GK, another CB (£40-50 million), 1-2 Central Midfielders (£100-120 million), Dele Alli (+£100 million) and Harry Kane (£80 million) would require something like £768 million in terms of a transfer budget (Even if you discounted Alli and Kane, you still need something like £588 million). A wishlist which would take 2 transfer windows to achive under nornal circumstances.

Thus if indeed this is the last transfer window we have got before the ban takes place, then we need to be willing to go further than what City have in mind for this transfer window, especially if they want to meet their targets for the upcoming seasons.

I know people think it won't happen but could Aguero be sold & Dembele & Sanchez can fill in ifJesus gets hurt or needs rest.

Just don't see us signing all above unless all that list is moved out inc Sergio.

Even if we do end up sigining Dembele & Sanchez, we still Aguero (and Sterling for that matter) since the club needs to have 3 strikers and 4 Wingers within our squad (Sanchez would be able to count as both).

Starting At 1:45:
"I'm not going to discover the quality of that guy "I think" last season Manuel Pelegrini missed him a lot."

Starting at 3:10
"Pretty sure of that, I didn't speak with him but I'm pretty sure Manuel Pelegrini missed him a lot last season...last 2 seasons."

Sometimes it is mind boggling how cocksure you can be about things you are demonstrably wrong about.

You are so loose with facts its annoying arguing with you.

“Manuel [Pellegrini] last season missed him a lot last season and we have missed him a lot [this season].”

Up yours.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.