Centre back options

The more i think about it, the more i am convinced its koulibaly.
He is 26 - we are told that he is more experienced
plays on the left of defence for napoli
good on the ball and a great passer
a leader in defence, an absolute beast of a player.
we know who it probably isnt... bonucci, vvd, alderweireld, thiago silva, marquinhos, martinez, boateng... koulibaly stands out as a real possibility imo

After Tosin signed a new contract I wouldnt mind seeing him as back up for the first team , I agree left and right back are our priority now Id also like Maffeo to feature more

Agreed. Maffeo has looked very good (albeit in small sample sizes) every time he's been given the chance. It's clear we're going to be signing some "finished article" fullbacks, but I do hope to see more of the kid.

Yes, Pep said we have to cover our backs, if he (Kompany) goes down. He also discussed us not having enough quality in both boxes. Then gives an example of players. with great qualities - 'Otamendi and Kompany' quality Centerbacks he calls them. "They win duels." He said. On other occasions he has also spoken glowingly of the quality of John Stonrs. Once or 2ice early in the season he also lauded Kolarov. Pep consistently spoke glowingly about the CBs but no other position on defense.

His rant about lacking quality in both boxes, was an indictment on our goalie and offense if you pay careful attention. As he said it while pointing out we give up so few chances but concede too much.

Yes, the Kompany backup comment supports what you and the English punditry believe. But it was a way of saying he wasn't confident Kompany was out of the woods yet. I didn't take it as him being literal about buying. I rank our weakest to strongest positions as follows:
LB,RB,GK,DM,WF,ST,CB,AM

In terms of depth and strenght. Only the core of David Silva, Debryune and Gundogan were stronger than our CB core.And yet our first signing was at AM/WF. Which is quintessential counterintuitive Pep smart thinking. Pep doubled down on our strongest posituon. Sure, If we could get Hummels, or Varane of course this would be great and probably another example of doubling down on strengths.

But the notion that CB is our weak spot simply isn't backed by the body of comments by Pep on the issue of our squad. Not just single instances, but the whole. it Isn't backed by how few chances we concede. It Isn't backed by how every statistical measure rates both Ota and Kompany highly, and Stones and Kolarov above average.

Can we get better at CB? Yes. Is it a glaring weakness that is most key. No. Not by a long shot. And the totality of Pep's musings on the issue backs that up.

He quite clearly singled out Kompany & even mentioned how Pellegrini missed him.

How you can twist this is remarkable.

Pellegrini had Otamendi pretty much every week., yet he missed having a 'proper' centre back.

You are basically saying Guardiola was just waffling shite, as it doesn't fit in with your opinion.

We need a centre back, as much or more than any other position, assuming we have not sold all our fullbacks witbout replacements lined up.

Richard Dunne knows. Martin Keown knows. Souness knows. Friends & enemies, scholars of football & casual observers, pretty much every fan you ask, of every other team, all are singing in unison, that City need a better alternative to Kompany.

As is often the case, the only people who are last to realise, are a small minority group of City fans. I bet even Robbie Savage has noticed.

If we don't sign a cb, it will be because we can't get the ones we want.

Behind the scenes, we will be trying to sign one, constantly, until we solve the problem.

CIty sign a new centre back every summer , it's part of the immutable laws of football. Like this year will be Liverpools.

He quite clearly singled out Kompany & even mentioned how Pellegrini missed him.

Pellegrini had Otamendi pretty much every week., yet he missed having a 'proper' centre back.

You are basically saying Guardiola was just waffling shite, as it doesn't fit in with your opinion.

We need a centre back, as much or more than any other position, assuming we have not sold all our fullbacks witbout replacements lined up.

Richard Dunne knows. Martin Keown knows. Souness knows. Friends & enemies, scholars of football & casual observers, pretty much every fan you ask, of every other team, all are singing in unison, that City need a better alternative to Kompany.

As is often the case, the only people who are last to realise, are a small minority group of City fans. I bet even Robbie Savage has noticed.

Behind the scenes, we will be trying to sign one, constantly, until we solve the problem.
a quick look at our CB`s and you can see why we are a laughing stock , Kompany great on the right rubbish on the left Stones good on the right rubbish on the left Ottamendi good on the right ordinary on the left and kolorov a slow left back good in small doses we have not had a decent left CB since Lescott left, so i am not sure the last two lines are correct VVD 60 million and we would win the league this season Koulibaly 35 million and we would win the league the year after,both players would help Stones develop and if he did not want a Cb, Mings 25 million english quota, he could use him in the same way he has used Delph.
All these players are better than we have got

Your penchant for being disingenuous is painful.

Yes in one video in which questions about Kompany were asked he singled out Kompany. I did not twist anything. However he singled out Stones on 2 other occasions (different videos) Even suggested he had big balls. He did similar with Ota as I described above.

Sometimes I'm not sure if this is just an act on ur part... Duh, even if Pep thinks Otamendi was the best ever, he'd still think Pelegrini missed Kompany, as having Kompany would have made us so much better regardless regardlessof how good Ota is.

Its like Pep saying we really missed Robben last year as he is a big big player for us. While that is true, it doesn't negate the fact that so is or was Ribery.... You seem to not be capable of holding 2 complementary ideas at the same time. That's just strange...

Im sorry, but I don't take English punditry very seriously. They mostly know fukall about modern football... And that includes Dunne Keown and Souness. But worse still I doubt any any of them watch as much City as I do.

So your appeal to authority is unimpressive. I'd give more credence to your opinion, marvin's, BigOscar or Tugay's over any YV head. For the mere fact I know you at least watch City judiciously. Souness and Keown? Please!

Your penchant for being disingenuous is painful.

Yes in one video in which questions about Kompany were asked he singled out Kompany. I did not twist anything. However he singled out Stones on 2 other occasions (different videos) Even suggested he had big balls. He did similar with Ota as I described above.

Sometimes I'm not sure if this is just an act on ur part... Duh, even if Pep thinks Otamendi was the best ever, he'd still think Pelegrini missed Kompany, as having Kompany would have made us so much better regardless regardlessof how good Ota is.

Its like Pep saying we really missed Robben last year as he is a big big player for us. While that is true, it doesn't negate the fact that so is or was Ribery.... You seem to not be capable of holding 2 complementary ideas at the same time. That's just strange...

Im sorry, but I don't take English punditry very seriously. They mostly know fukall about modern football... And that includes Dunne Keown and Souness. But worse still I doubt any any of them watch as much City as I do.

So your appeal to authority is unimpressive. I'd give more credence to your opinion, marvin's, BigOscar or Tugay's over any YV head. For the mere fact I know you at least watch City judiciously. Souness and Keown? Please!

Those two know more about defending than you ever will.

And Pep has gone into detail about how much better he feels when Kompany is in the team IN BOTH BOXES, something I have described to you on many occasions, which you have no idea what I'm yalking about, because you never actually see top flight football in the flesh & make most of your decisions by the aid of simple, childish, statistics.

You even refuse to see the obvious improvement Kompany brings & thus assume Pep isn't actually referring to that, when he quite obviously is.

The problem, is finding someone who is actually good enough to have the same effect as Kompany.

That person probably doesn't exist or is unavailable, so simply signing a Kolarov replacement will not be such a priority, in this window. A great cb, if available, would become one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.