Champions League Draw - 29th August '24 | Opponents (pg69) | Fixtures (pg128)

9th - 24th play a playoff round first and the winners play the top 8.

So it could mean 1st plays the lowest ranked qualifier and so on.
It looks as if the play-offs and last 16 draws will be between pairs of clubs.
For example for the last 16 1st and 2nd in the league will be paired with the winners of the two 15/16 vs 17/18 play-off matches and then the draw will be for team 1 playing one of those winners and team 2 will play the other winner.
Then that process is repeated through the remaining pairs of league positions.
For the QF onward it's like the World Cup, two halves of the draw dictated by league position so that in theory the top two in the league meet in the final.

That's not correct, as there is a round before that where 9th play 24th 10th play 23rd and so on. 1st would play the lowest finisher who qualifies from that round.
Pretty sure @kippaxwarrior meant the teams that emerge from the playoff round and so occupy places 9 to 16.

Not the teams that finished the League Stage in positions 9 to 16.

So is there any advantage at all to being in Pot 1 for the draw? It seems to me that Aston Villa - in Pot 4 - is just as likely as City - in Pot 1 - to play any other team. It's entirely possible for a Pot 4 team to end up with a much easier draw than a Pot 1 team, isn't it?
Well, apart from the fact the pot 1 team will find it easier to beat the teams in the 3 pots below them than the pot 4 teams will to beat the teams in the 3 pots above them

So is there any advantage at all to being in Pot 1 for the draw? It seems to me that Aston Villa - in Pot 4 - is just as likely as City - in Pot 1 - to play any other team. It's entirely possible for a Pot 4 team to end up with a much easier draw than a Pot 1 team, isn't it?

Not really. The sole purpose of the ‘pots’ is just to try and ensure each team gets a similar standard of opponents across the eight games.

Well, apart from the fact the pot 1 team will find it easier to beat the teams in the 3 pots below them than the pot 4 teams will to beat the teams in the 3 pots above them

Yes, I get that bit. But say, for example, the rags miraculously qualify again in a few years. There's no longer any disadvantage to them to be low down the coefficients, as they'd have the same chances of drawing good and bad teams regardless of pot. In effect, being continuously successful, like City at the moment, gives no advantage in the draw.

Yes, I get that bit. But say, for example, the rags miraculously qualify again in a few years. There's no longer any disadvantage to them to be low down the coefficients, as they'd have the same chances of drawing good and bad teams regardless of pot. In effect, being continuously successful, like City at the moment, gives no advantage in the draw.
Isn't it better if no team is (dis)advantaged?

It most certainly is.

It looks as if the play-offs and last 16 draws will be between pairs of clubs.
For example for the last 16 1st and 2nd in the league will be paired with the winners of the two 15/16 vs 17/18 play-off matches and then the draw will be for team 1 playing one of those winners and team 2 will play the other winner.
Then that process is repeated through the remaining pairs of league positions.
For the QF onward it's like the World Cup, two halves of the draw dictated by league position so that in theory the top two in the league meet in the final.

If that's correct then the value on finish 1st isn't that great to me. If 24th knock out 9th (I know that's less likely) but 8th place then gets an easier tie (even though they'll have knocked 9th out in that scenario).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.