Champions League Draw - 29th August '24 | Opponents (pg69) | Fixtures (pg128)

**NERD ALERT**

Quite like the new format, 8 different teams to play, including a couple of new opponents. But I still don't like the draw - there's simply no advantage to be in Pot 1.

Anyway, statistically, we've got one of the harder draws. If you go by average coefficients of the teams drawn, we've got the worst draw of the British teams:
Celtic: 59.4
Aston Villa: 61.7
Arsenal: 63.4
Liverpool: 64.9
City 65.7

And overall, only 12 teams have a harder draw than us. On paper, even Girona has a marginally easier draw (64.6). Of the Pot 1 teams, Dortmund and Real Madrid have the easiest draw (<60 average coefficent) and PSG by far the hardest (74). Feyenoord has the toughest draw overall having the three toughest teams they could possibly draw (average 74.8) and Young Boys the easiest (55.8).

All interesting! Not disagreeing with the accuracy of any of that, but just from looking at the fixtures I didn't think ours look too bad and I thought Liverpool's looked tougher.

Well, Girona wasn't an option, so really only three possibilities.

Speaking of Girona, they get both Liverpool and Arsenal at home. Would love to see the reaction if those two get injuries in that match. Cue the conspiracies.
Girona was 100% an option and unsurprising they drew an English team given the number of English and Spanish sides in the earlier pots.

Girona was 100% an option and unsurprising they drew an English team given the number of English and Spanish sides in the earlier pots.

Interesting. I thought I had read that somewhere about Leipzig and Salzberg. OK. Would have been cool to play Girona.

It probably will owing to the higher you finish the easier should be the route to the final, in theory that is.
But it's better to finish 1st than 8th (probably) so the last two games won't be meaningless.
In theory. But it's also always been better in theory to finish top of the group and thay doesnt always workout to be true either.

You're relying on practically the entire schedule going as predicted for it to actually be of any benefit. Theres more games that no manager wants this season so most teams will probably look to secure top 8 or 9-24 depending on their aims and then take it, concentrate on the league, play a weakened side in the last few games when they can and take whatever happens.

Between the last week of November and last week of December we've got spurs, Liverpool, united and villa amongst others. Lets say for arguments sake we've already secured a top 8 finish going into the last couple of games, i doubt we're going to be sticking out a full strength side in search of top spot that might not even give us any benefit in the last few games that are crammed inbetween that set of league fixtures.

Last edited:
**NERD ALERT**

Quite like the new format, 8 different teams to play, including a couple of new opponents. But I still don't like the draw - there's simply no advantage to be in Pot 1.

Anyway, statistically, we've got one of the harder draws. If you go by average coefficients of the teams drawn, we've got the worst draw of the British teams:
Celtic: 59.4
Aston Villa: 61.7
Arsenal: 63.4
Liverpool: 64.9
City 65.7

And overall, only 12 teams have a harder draw than us. On paper, even Girona has a marginally easier draw (64.6). Of the Pot 1 teams, Dortmund and Real Madrid have the easiest draw (<60 average coefficent) and PSG by far the hardest (74). Feyenoord has the toughest draw overall having the three toughest teams they could possibly draw (average 74.8) and Young Boys the easiest (55.8).
Interesting but you have to factor on the coefficient of the team so Celtic may have on paper easier fixtures than us but they were in pot three for a reason.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.