Champions League Draw - 29th August '24 | Opponents (pg69) | Fixtures (pg128)

Just skimming the thread as late to it, but re posters asking what the point is of striving to finish as high as possible in the table when you only need 8th to progress or 25th to get into a play-off, do you get significantly more prize money for your final position in the group table, regardless of how much more you get from further progress through the latter knock out stages etc?

Just skimming the thread as late to it, but re posters asking what the point is of striving to finish as high as possible in the table when you only need 8th to progress or 25th to get into a play-off, do you get significantly more prize money for your final position in the group table, regardless of how much more you get from further progress through the latter knock out stages etc?
Not sure about prize money but in theory the higher you finish, the easier the draw you get in the last sixteen. I think there might be some prize money for each game but I've not heard anyone speak of that recently so it might be a figment of my warped imagination.

I’m late to the party.
Seems confusing.
Can anyone explain how this works to the simplest of the simple?
Is it 4 home 4 away games but all different teams?

Not sure about prize money but in theory the higher you finish, the easier the draw you get in the last sixteen. I think there might be some prize money for each game but I've not heard anyone speak of that recently so it might be a figment of my warped imagination.
There must be either money on each individual match result or based on league table final position (or both maybe). As well as getting an in theory easier draw, there must be some financial incentives too you’d imagine.

Pretty sure I read that from the last 16 the draw is totally seeded like it is in tennis so in theory the two teams who finished 1st and 2nd will be seeded to meet in the final. But let’s say we finish 16th and somehow a team like Benfica finish top we would be drawn against them in the last 16, home first leg though. Think the top eight will play first leg of last 16 away. I think eighth will play ninth, seventh to play tenth etc. it’s all about money though. As fans it could mean four more games just to reach the last 16.

Interesting format and should make for more exciting games. The previous format needed shaking up. In terms of City the PSG, Juventus and Milan games stand out.
Would be a lot more interesting to go back to a straight knockout each round but never going to happen as too much money involved for everyone including us unfortunately.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.