Champions League Draw - 29th August '24 | Opponents (pg69) | Fixtures (pg128)

I was just looking at Aston Villa's fixtures and wondering why they weren't playing anyone that actually won their leagues. So I checked out the pots, and noticed they've quietly got rid of the rule that if you win one of the top leagues, you're automatically in pot 1.

Pot 1 included us, Real Madrid, Inter and PSG, who actually won their leagues. Meanwhile, 3 German teams are in pot 1, none of which won the title, while Leverkusen at in pot 2. Liverpool are somehow in pot 1 for finishing 3rd, when they weren't even in the competition last season, and Barcelona complete the top seeds after winning absolutely fuck all last season. Meanwhile, the German champions and Europa League winners are in pot 2, and the Portuguese champions (Sporting) are in pot 3 behind a team that finished 10 points behind them (Benfica). So only 4 of the 'top-ranked' teams actually won anything last season.

If there was any doubt this whole thing was about favouring established teams, it's basically a return to the bullshit seeding system of the past, where big clubs from the big leagues will be given an easy ride regardless of their actual performance on the pitch.
Whilst it does seem strange to be in the Champions league and not play any Champions - I’m not sure that the pot that you are in makes any difference. You still need to play two teams from each pot and they will be of very mixed ability. Leverkusen are going to be dangerous opponents whichever pot they were in - and some might view Villa as a very dangerous Pot 4 team - especially with Emery in charge.

What this draw has done is what they really wanted - it has produced draws that look good for television e.g Liverpool v Real Madrid (which could have happened in old system) City v Inter and City v PSG (which could not) Liverpool v Milan, Bayern v Barcelona - and no doubt some of these ties will be placed on week 5 or 6 to make sure they still matter. There are other ties that will have good regional interest. This all sells to rights and earns UEFA money - the whole purpose of this tournament.

£2 million for winning the FA Cup, £17.4 million just for qualifying for Champions League group stage makes sort of chasing trophies pointless now sadly. That said I was gutted about not winning last Saturday.
You’re right about the vast disparity in money. When we won the treble it is, £3m for the league. £150k for League cup and £250k for the Scottish Cup. Add in the Sky money and it’s only £6m a year we can earn. £6m. That wouidnt keep you lot in training bibs.

We are set to earn about £50-60m even if we win not a single game. I’m confident we will. Whether we will get out of the league set up, I think we can, but, sometimes thinking is bad for your mental health. We could have had a much more difficult draw. So, I’m happy. And we got some great ties too. We have four home games that I think we can take something. We got a couple of players yesterday we were after, so all in all, a happy camper this morning.

You’re right about the vast disparity in money. When we won the treble it is, £3m for the league. £150k for League cup and £250k for the Scottish Cup. Add in the Sky money and it’s only £6m a year we can earn. £6m. That wouidnt keep you lot in training bibs.

We are set to earn about £50-60m even if we win not a single game. I’m confident we will. Whether we will get out of the league set up, I think we can, but, sometimes thinking is bad for your mental health. We could have had a much more difficult draw. So, I’m happy. And we got some great ties too. We have four home games that I think we can take something. We got a couple of players yesterday we were after, so all in all, a happy camper this morning.
Personally I think you will not get to the knock out stages. Best you can hope for is avoiding the bottom 12.

The advantage you have over a lot of clubs especially City is that you play in such a poor league and only have a handful of difficult matches. So you can rest players for crucial CL matches.

Personally I think you will not get to the knock out stages. Best you can hope for is avoiding the bottom 12.

The advantage you have over a lot of clubs especially City is that you play in such a poor league and only have a handful of difficult matches. So you can rest players for crucial CL matches.
Let’s wait and see. Our target is the last team to qualify. Anything else, I may explode hysterically. Looking forward to it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.