Champions League Draw - 29th August '24 | Opponents (pg69) | Fixtures (pg128)

1st plays 16th, 8th plays 9th in the next round (I think)
Almost.

1st plays 16th or 17th (depending on which wins the playoff game).
2nd plays 15th or 18th.
3rd plays 14th or 19th.
4th plays 13th or 20th.
5th plays 12th or 21st.
6th plays 11th or 22nd.
7th plays 10th or 23rd.
8th plays 9th or 24th.

So basically if there is an upset in the playoff round and there probably will be, 1st won't have the easiest game.

That's why I see little difference between 1st and 8th.

1000013326.jpg

Almost.

2nd plays 15th or 18th.
3rd plays 14th or 19th.
4th plays 13th or 20th.
5th plays 12th or 21st.
6th plays 11th or 22nd.
7th plays 10th or 23rd.
8th plays 9th or 24th.

So basically if there is an upset in the playoff round and there probably will be, 1st won't have the easiest game.

If that’s the case then it downright moronic. It makes sense to reseed after the playoff ties otherwise you can have the 23 rd seed play the 7th and the 1st end up playing the 16 th. Then there is absolutely NO REASON to finish as high as you can.

If that’s the case then it downright moronic. It makes sense to reseed after the playoff ties otherwise you can have the 23 rd seed play the 7th and the 1st end up playing the 16 th. Then there is absolutely NO REASON to finish as high as you can.
You know what would be entertaining? After the playoff round you have the higher seeds PICK whom they wish to play. That would be a laugh. Instead of a draw you have a “draft”.

I initially added to my post before deleting it that a reseeding would make sense but I read Dale Johnson's article. He's usually on the ball with stuff like this and that image is from his article with no mention of reseeding.

Which if true like you say means 1st or 8th, not a massive difference.

Link to the article:

Almost.

2nd plays 15th or 18th.
3rd plays 14th or 19th.
4th plays 13th or 20th.
5th plays 12th or 21st.
6th plays 11th or 22nd.
7th plays 10th or 23rd.
8th plays 9th or 24th.

View attachment 130059
Nearly!

It's really confusing, but always when there's a 'or' or 'x/y' a draw will be made, for the reason that you can't calculate your way to the knock outs.

For the playoffs, we'll have 4 seeded and 4 unseeded pairings, e.g. 9/10 - 23/24. In the draw we'll find out if 9 plays 23 or 24 and 10 plays the other one (24 or 23).

Same for the knock out draw:
a draw for last 16 will be made to see if (in this example) 7 will play the winner of 9/23 or 10/24 and 8 will play the remaining.

Those numbers look a bit crude so being a saddo I did an assessment of the pot 1 teams based on the total points of their opponents divided by the club's own points in the rankings to give some weighting to an individual club's position in the rankings.

The lower the number the "easier" the opponents:
Real Madrid 3.520
Bayern 3.523
City 3.756
Liverpool 4.550
Dortmund 4.830
Leipzig 5.215
Inter 5.228
Barca 5.636
PSG 5.834

On that basis PSG can probably feel a bit hard done to being 4th in the rankings and getting the most difficult opponents.
Heres a much better one from Opta:

vus9ilgcysld1.jpeg

You know what would be entertaining? After the playoff round you have the higher seeds PICK whom they wish to play. That would be a laugh. Instead of a draw you have a “draft”.

That used to happen in rugby league and they all absolutely hated being the team doing the picking.

You might as well go in the opposition dressing room and give them their team talk yourself.

Agree, it would be fun though. The reaction to City picking Girona would probably be the highlight of my life.

Nearly!

It's really confusing, but always when there's a 'or' or 'x/y' a draw will be made, for the reason that you can't calculate your way to the knock outs.

For the playoffs, we'll have 4 seeded and 4 unseeded pairings, e.g. 9/10 - 23/24. In the draw we'll find out if 9 plays 23 or 24 and 10 plays the other one (24 or 23).

Same for the knock out draw:
a draw for last 16 will be made to see if (in this example) 7 will play the winner of 9/23 or 10/24 and 8 will play the remaining.
Ah so that would line up with the image I posted.

So 1st has a better chance than 2nd at an easier draw because of the groupings but not necessarily a better chance than 3rd or 5th etc...interesting.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.