Champions League Draw - 29th August '24 | Opponents (pg69) | Fixtures (pg128)

Ah so that would line up with the image I posted.

So 1st has a better chance than 2nd at an easier draw because of the groupings but not necessarily a better chance than 3rd or 5th etc...interesting.
Hmm, I'd say 1 and 2 have the same chance as they are a pairing.

Bottom line we should try to get to TOP2, as possible opponents for knock outs would be lower in the table and probably in a worse form than higher ranked teams.

But there are other factors like injuries to change the odds...

On matchday 8 it could happen that teams try to lose to avoid big teams like Real or City on the knockout tree.
Loads of own goals incoming... ;)

Matchday 8 with 18 parallel matches and LIVE table movements will definitely be entertaining, that's for sure.

On matchday 8 it could happen that teams try to lose to avoid big teams like Real or City on the knockout tree.

Matchday 8 with 18 parallel matches and LIVE table movements will definitely be entertaining, that's for sure.
It will be like the last day of Singles in the Ryder Cup, or the last rounds of a F1 Qualifying session. Everyone will need multi screen or a big TV with a dynamic table graphic.... Or to make it easier, City could just win all their games

I think that is highly unlikely.

After only seven games and 36 teams, there won’t be many, if any, teams locked into a position before the last game.

It’ll will be absolute chaos on that last day, with positions changing almost by the minute.

Interesting but probably wouldn’t happen since they would have to advance in the playoff round(9-24) before facing a top seed.

Almost.

1st plays 16th or 17th (depending on which wins the playoff game).
2nd plays 15th or 18th.
3rd plays 14th or 19th.
4th plays 13th or 20th.
5th plays 12th or 21st.
6th plays 11th or 22nd.
7th plays 10th or 23rd.
8th plays 9th or 24th.

So basically if there is an upset in the playoff round and there probably will be, 1st won't have the easiest game.

That's why I see little difference between 1st and 8th.

View attachment 130059
After the playoff stage it resets and goes back to league standings.
So if, say. the 16th ranked team beat the 9th ranked team in the playoff, the 16th ranked team would again be the lowest rated and the seeding is done again for the last 16.
From THEN, it is straight knockout with the 1st ranked team in the league in one half and the 2nd ranked team in the other half.
From THERE, you can get the upsets. A bit like Wimbledon when seeds drop out.

Everyone seems to forget this is a sweetener to the Clubs who were pursuing the European Super League.

The Clubs have driven this not UEFA.
I don’t think it is anything to do with the ESL contenders. More likely it is designed to pacify the lower ranked clubs by giving them a better chance of making the group stages.

After the playoff stage it resets and goes back to league standings.
So if, say. the 16th ranked team beat the 9th ranked team in the playoff, the 16th ranked team would again be the lowest rated and the seeding is done again for the last 16.
From THEN, it is straight knockout with the 1st ranked team in the league in one half and the 2nd ranked team in the other half.
From THERE, you can get the upsets. A bit like Wimbledon when seeds drop out.

The playoff phase is played between the 9th and 24th placed teams so 9th plays 24th not 16th.

I've had it clarified by Dale Johnson from ESPN.

The groupings for potential last 16 opponents are:
- 1st, 2nd, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th are grouped together for the knockout phase. 2 of 15-18 will of course go out in the playoff round (this applies for the next 3 bullet points).
- 3rd, 4th, 13th, 14th, 19th, 20th are grouped together.
- 5th, 6th, 11th, 12th, 21st, 22nd.
- 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 23rd, 24th.

1st and 2nd will be on the opposite side of the bracket.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.