Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

I think he must have realised that Chelsea would break on us. I think he had some crazy idea that OK this will happen, but they will be out of position and my team will kill them on the transition. There must have been some rationale to it.

It annoys me that whatever the plan was it was clear that Chelsea were looking very likely to score and we had Rodri and Fernandinho on the bench and we didn't do anything.

We are never going to understand this.

I hope Pep recovers from this. It is very very damaging. A coaching failure if ever there was one.

But on the other hand the league season was a personal Pep triumph. I think we have to accept that our coach is a genius but he makes mistakes like us all.

I don't understand where the criticism of certain players is coming from. Those who question Sterling are being very unreasonable. I thought he was OK.

There are times when an extra defensive player adds coherence to your attack. We were so open we allowed Chelsea to get to 50-50 possession in the first half. Did we play a really bad offensive game? I don't think so. When you play against a 5-2-3 you are not going to slice through them. You are looking for 3-4 moments in a game, an you restrict their breaks. We totally lost control of that 1st half and it stemmed entirely from the tactical decision.

To be honest I don't know where Gundogan played. Did he play in the position where Rodri/Fernandinho would have played? We needed cover. If he was playing that role then why would you choose him over Rodri, or Fernandinho. Gundogan is not particularly good at defensive cover.

There is no point trying to 2nd guess what Pep was doing. I just hope he recovers.

At least we wont have to worry about complacency next season.
It may well rekindle the fires for next season. Always a danger when you scoop it all. We still have something to prove. And being optimistic, another go at the full sweep.

best team won, we have to suck that up, as everyone has said a tactical fuck up,
tbf to raz i didn't think he did too badly, it was a good battle with james
but we were too loose at the back with no protection of ferna or rodri

we go again as ever

Is it just me or does it hurt more being Chelsea, if it was Real Madrid would it have been a bit less hurtful

Ego. He has faced question marks over over-thinking and he wanted a personal triumph against his critics?

Very damaging for coach and club and players and fans. We all paid for this weakness. He does though have strengths so it would be stupid to hand him his P45.

One might ask Pep, look what went wrong? How can we help you not to do this stuff but it would be a very difficult conversation and would possibly lead to resignation. We just have to accept him as he is.

Prior to the match the team selection for last nights game was the last thing I was worried about. I thought after the Lyon backlash and his consistent team selection this season that these overthinking tendencies were finished with.

But now we’ve just got to realise he’s always going to do something like this. To find a winning formula that comes back from behind to beat Dortmund and PSG, and to then change it for the final is the worst one yet.

I do think that it zapped the confidence right out of the players and fans as well. You can get away with it in the Prem due to the shear volume of games, but every time he does something in the CL it just never seems to work.

I think that is harsh on Chelsea. They forced us into errors and punished others that were unforced from our poor passing and lack of shape with the change in lineup.

They played some good football and tried to win the game. And our weakness has been exposed three times now.
It is not harsh. It is the way they play against us. Yes the ultimate rationale is to end up winning same as us but how they achieve that goal is by consistently doing what you've just said. It's from a negative defensive set up that they won that game which we couldnt break down. We either let them come on to us or we try to get through their narrowest of lines which we tried to do . It didnt work and played into their tactic more often than not. Even with Fern theres no guarantee of a win. Possibly a better outcome we will never know but Chelsea under Tuchel is generally a negative defensive team that feeds on mistakes and presses hard all over the opponent's high line .Let's see how good they are when they have to create something positive facing ten men behind the ball.
We needed guile last night. We are too naive.

I thought Dias was more to blame for that if I'm honest. He's on the wrong side, yes, but Dias was in no-mans land.
Zin should have stuck to his man but Walker and Stones weren't even in their own half. Dias got pulled out of position as did Zinchenko.

Sitting back now after a few hours sleep, and waking up still drunk from the early hours this morning, we just laid the biggest egg we could've in the biggest moment for some time.

I get what Pep was trying to do, it just badly exposed us without Rodri or Fernandinho, and broke up the usual rhythm we play with. That's on him, and I'm sure he's kicking himself more then any of us as much as it hurts right now, and will for some time. The players looked daunted by the occasion as well, not many can hold their heads up with their performance, was just a bad performance and credit to Chelsea as much as that's hard to say right now.

Also farewell to Sergio, he gave everything he had for our club, and won everything he could win, besides one.

Will sit back for a few days now, enjoy the season that was, as much as this hurts right now, but we'll all be back in a few months time, ready to go again.

Thanks to everyone on Blue Moon this season, hope you can all get back to the football next season.

Peps initial mistake was bad but not rectifying it quickly when it was clear to anyone watching that it wasn’t working was worse for me. His substitutions were way too late.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.