Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

We need to still respect Chelsea, Tuchel got to a final with PSG last year and lost. He got Chelsea to two cup finals this year and indeed lost one but he knows how to get far in these competitions. I said it yesterday, Tuchel took a massive risk in taking off Mount etc with 20 minutes to go but he did it because they had a plan and he could settle on 1-0. There's no way we could of gone 1-0 up and settled.

Pep probably wasn't overthinking it, he looked at the last two games against them and probably thought it didn't work then so why now? We'd of probably stood a big chance with two defensive midfielders on to control the ball and at least then the holes would be closed and Chelsea would struggle to score but that isn't the Pep way.

Some teams are our worst nightmare because they play in a way where we need to massively change how we play. That team was Liverpool a couple of years ago and this year it's Chelsea. Unfortunately it's just been total pot luck that we always seem to end up playing these teams at the worst possible time. If Chelsea had cocked up and been beaten by Madrid like they were beaten by Villa last week then we'd probably be European champions now.

I don't think the selection or anything mattered that much because we play how we play, they had 1 chance and scored it, we had a few and didn't, end of really.
It’s just their manager being willing to be pragmatic then.

Against us, when they know we will attack and are very good on the ball, they sit back and get their chances another way (on the break), and very good chances at that because of our high line.
Against Leicester, Chelsea didn’t do that, they were the City in that match and Leicester did it to them.

Liverpool did it against us back then too, soaked it up and hit us with Salah and Mane’s pace.

Rashford, Vardy, Pulisic, Aubameyang, Son, Zzzzzzz.......

We’re always going to have to play teams that can beat the press and attack quickly. We just can’t play into their hands, like they’ve learnt not to play into ours.

We need to still respect Chelsea, Tuchel got to a final with PSG last year and lost. He got Chelsea to two cup finals this year and indeed lost one but he knows how to get far in these competitions. I said it yesterday, Tuchel took a massive risk in taking off Mount etc with 20 minutes to go but he did it because they had a plan and he could settle on 1-0. There's no way we could of gone 1-0 up and settled.

Pep probably wasn't overthinking it, he looked at the last two games against them and probably thought it didn't work then so why now? We'd of probably stood a big chance with two defensive midfielders on to control the ball and at least then the holes would be closed and Chelsea would struggle to score but that isn't the Pep way.

Some teams are our worst nightmare because they play in a way where we need to massively change how we play. That team was Liverpool a couple of years ago and this year it's Chelsea. Unfortunately it's just been total pot luck that we always seem to end up playing these teams at the worst possible time. If Chelsea had cocked up and been beaten by Madrid like they were beaten by Villa last week then we'd probably be European champions now.

I don't think the selection or anything mattered that much because we play how we play, they had 1 chance and scored it, we had a few and didn't, end of really.
They had more chances, and better chances.

I could see what Pep was trying to do and if it wasn't for Rudiger's last ditch challenge to block Foden he would be hailed as a genius today, instead in a typical show of over reaction he is being questioned.

Chelsea are a fantastic side who are brilliantly organised and defensively as good as it gets, they narrow down space so well it gives no room to play in. So I could see why Pep played Mahrez and Sterling high and wide, they needed to be stretched and we had to pull their CBs out wide to create space, plus playing Mahrez and Sterling high and wide it should have negated their wing backs which it did to some extent. They countered us by swarming all around Kev, he never got in the game, Kante was immense for them, which cut off our supply to the players we had high and wide.

I know people are questioning why there was no Ferna or Rodri, but that position in the game was almost redundant, it would have been a luxury having one of them there, a decisive one though and was our undoing for their goal. It was a fantastic ball by Mount though and perfectly weighted as it left Eddy in no mans land. Normally he would sweep up that no problem, but for some reason he was not sharp enough to cut out the danger.

They closed us down really well and disrupted our usual game. I don't believe playing an number 9 would have made any difference as he would have no service anyway they defended so well. Their full backs were exceptional. Mahrez had made Chilwell look silly earlier this season, this game Chilwell was so tight Mahrez hardly got a kick, James is quick and strong and had a very good game, he is just about the best RB in the country at the moment. And they had Rudiger, he was magnificent, what a player, fuck knows why Frank never played him, the lad is a superb defender and his presence made it easy for the rest of the defence as he won everything. They were also dangerous on the counter, Werner's pace gave them an out ball so we never built up a period of sustained pressure, nor could we over commit going forward because of his presence.

It was disappointing to lose of course, but we lost to a better team regardless of who we put out and now its three defeats in a row to them, all of them we deserved to lose because I do believe it is simply because they are better than us, no disgrace in that. Chelsea will get better as well and we have to improve to match them, we have to find a way to beat them. I do not know how that will be achieved, we have enough good players, but they have the Indian sign over us at the moment and what is worrying is other teams will copy there blueprint against us.

Now it is about how we react to defeat, the players will be hurting, the club is hurting, we have to make sure we come back stronger and I am certain we will. We are still Champions of England, first off we have to defend that and win the title again, the CL will come again and next time we will be better for the experience of losing.

Can’t argue with most of that. Tactical masterclass from Chelsea.

It’s just their manager being willing to be pragmatic then.

Against us, when they know we will attack and are very good on the ball, they sit back and get their chances another way (on the break), and very good chances at that because of our high line.
Against Leicester, Chelsea didn’t do that, they were the City in that match and Leicester did it to them.

Liverpool did it against us back then too, soaked it up and hit us with Salah and Mane’s pace.

Rashford, Vardy, Pulisic, Aubameyang, Son, Zzzzzzz.......

We’re always going to have to play teams that can beat the press and attack quickly. We just can’t play into their hands, like they’ve learnt not to play into ours.
The annoying thing is we did this against PSG, were patient, and hit *them* on the counterattack.

Just a thought

if you think us the fans feel like shit ... imagine how Fernandinho and Rodri feel.. not to mention Sheikh Mansour who will be a couple of million pounds out of pocket for that !!!

I doubt the Sheikh cares.

However the players will. Some have admitted how the Lyon defeat effected them into the start of the season just gone.

Thanks to Peps fuck up I feel the same will happen. Lets hope the ending will be as good if not better.

A fair few of the players will be pissed off with Pep and lost trust in him in the big games.

I was very impressed by Tuchel's intelligence and clear thinking in his pre match interview.

I reckon he will turn into an even better manager than he is now.

I reckon Chelsea will be pushing us hard in the league next season..

JJ

More I think about it I can understand Peps selection. He wanted better control and more legs up top. I think the bigger issue is that we simply didn't perform.
Maybe but what on earth possesed Pep to think that Sterling would deliver?

He’s not had a good game since before Christmas. In fact he appears to have lost the ability to perform basic skills!!

Him being in the team was a disaster waiting to happen and he needs to be moved on so he’s somebody else’s problem to solve

Just had a right good Belly laugh.

Reading the sports supplements

"Sterling said to be considering his future after the Final defeat " bwhaaaaaaaaaaa

Fuck quick !!!!!!!!!............lets offer him £300,000 a week.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.