Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

I still think Aguero has a good couple of years left in him.

Gutted he is going tbh, record goal scorer ,and Club legend literally told he has no future at a Club he has delivered so much for.

I am sure Aguero knows not one Blue wants this.

This is 100% on Pep.

Ironically not good enough for Pep, but still good enough for Pep true love Barcelona.
Completely twisted the situation, his talent isn't in doubt, his fitness is. He's going to Brcelona because they are scratching round for bargains and want to hang on to Messi.He had the option to stay but decided to move on by all accounts.

This is a theory and a belief but it's being stated as though it's stone cold, incontrovertible fact. That you put our strongest eleven on the field, there's only one way they play and, of course, we win. There are numerous weaknesses in the theory, the most notable of which is that Pep shares everybody's view on what the best 11 is and there's some disturbing evidence that he doesn't. What everybody ignores is that this strongest eleven hasn't played together very often at all, and even in the CL QF and SF he seemed uncertain as to whether Cancelao or Zinchenko suited best or if Rodri should play in place of Ferna. Then there was the question of whether we should play a false 9 or not. His experiment with Torres as number 9 worked well at Newcastle but the final trial at Brighton was ruined by the worst referee in England. Then there was the problem of Chelsea's well organised lines of 4/5/6/7 and where Vity really needed the numbers. So selection was by no means as simple and straightforward as many think and the idea that there is one "strongest line up" for all occasions and that Pep overthinks borders on nonsense. The second weakness in the argument is that City played badly because they were playing in a formation they didn't understand and weren't familiar with. I reject this because what City did badly were the basics of control and passing. I think the evidence is clear that the occasion overwhelmed City, not the system. It is not the Pep way to throw players in without preparation, unable to say how they were to deal with something as obvious as a through ball. Our back four simply never played and this chaos was reflected up front where the final ball "didn't come", more often than not because there was no-one to receive it. No number 9 in the team and passing too cumbersome to get a false 9 in there with any support. Ferna came om eventually and made little or no difference and your assertion that had he started City would have been more relaxed and allowed the others to play really does require a leap of faith to believe. We conceded one goal and never looked like scoring one ourselves. We were beaten, we were well beaten and on Saturday night it was hard to see what would have changed that. But if you want to believe it was all because "Pep fucked up again" you cling to your illusions.
The formation and structure was a fundamental problem. Most fans called it when they saw the team and we looked unbalanced from the first minute. There was a gaping hole in front of our centre backs well before they scored there. In fact Chelsea missed a few opportunities to exploit that area before they did score. I agree that some of our players froze on the night but in my view this defeat was really down to Pep. To be fair I think the selection problem Pep did have was that Chelsea are very fast and neither Fern, Rodri, or Gundo is quick. So it is possible we may have lost anyway with Fern on the field but we will never know. I think we needed our Captain on the field from the start.

Amazing the amount of bollox posted about Pep. He will be more gutted than anyone for this not to come off.

We’ve seen some of best football in the history of the English game since Pep arrived and were only too ready to call our genius manager.

We have become such an entitled bunch in recent years, it’d be good for SM et al to fuck off so some fans can get a reality check an experience another York away moment.
If he fucks off he's fucks off, our expectations will drop as the level of our team drops. We've all (well a lot of us anyway) been there and survived and enjoyed it in a different kind of way.
We've seen lots of great football since Pep arrived for sure but let's not rewrite history there's been a fair few non performances as well, games when If we were there yet we wouldn't score.
In fact some of this possession bollox is a tad boring to be honest. Not much exciting about a couple of hundred 4 yd passes and nothing at the end of it.
Give me 2 pacy wingers and a proper center forward anyday of the week.

He was never disrespected, the club gave him whatever he wanted, looked after him incredibly.

He was not fit for the best part of a year, you can't have a place in this team on sentiment, if you start doing that we are finished as a title winning club.
Apparently you can.

We need to still respect Chelsea, Tuchel got to a final with PSG last year and lost. He got Chelsea to two cup finals this year and indeed lost one but he knows how to get far in these competitions. I said it yesterday, Tuchel took a massive risk in taking off Mount etc with 20 minutes to go but he did it because they had a plan and he could settle on 1-0. There's no way we could of gone 1-0 up and settled.

Pep probably wasn't overthinking it, he looked at the last two games against them and probably thought it didn't work then so why now? We'd of probably stood a big chance with two defensive midfielders on to control the ball and at least then the holes would be closed and Chelsea would struggle to score but that isn't the Pep way.

Some teams are our worst nightmare because they play in a way where we need to massively change how we play. That team was Liverpool a couple of years ago and this year it's Chelsea. Unfortunately it's just been total pot luck that we always seem to end up playing these teams at the worst possible time. If Chelsea had cocked up and been beaten by Madrid like they were beaten by Villa last week then we'd probably be European champions now.

I don't think the selection or anything mattered that much because we play how we play, they had 1 chance and scored it, we had a few and didn't, end of really.
They had more than 1 chance mate. Both Werner and Pulisic had clear chances and on the day Tuchels gameplan worked whereas Pep's didn't.

I'm over it personally and I'm quite confident that we're going to appear in more European Cup finals under Pep. I just hope the club/Pep doesn't take their eye off the ball domestically on some crusade to desperately become European champions.

Completely twisted the situation, his talent isn't in doubt, his fitness is. He's going to Brcelona because they are scratching round for bargains and want to hang on to Messi.He had the option to stay but decided to move on by all accounts.
He will forever be at the top of the City pantheon of players but this last season was never gonna be a great bargaining chip, and if he turned down a City offer 'cos he deemed it to be a 'pittance' then the decision not to take it is Sergio's. I can't think that any offer would be 'derisory' considering that he does have a couple of seasons left, barring any long term injuries, but those injuries seem to be happening with some frequency. And if we get, say, a young twenty-odd year old blond bombshell of a player then he would look and think his game time would be severely limited.

noob question, why is Kun being phased out, I believe if given a start he will score some important goals surely

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.