Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

In the end, despite the criticism for not playing a DM, we only conceded 1 goal. I think we would have all thought before the match that if Chelsea only score once that we would win. What’s let us down is an almost complete lack of a goal threat, until the last 10 mins when we finally pushed forward with desperate intent. Whether this is down to the system, the players, Chelsea’s defensive ability or what, someone else better equipped than me will say, but not having out and out goal scorers doesn’t help. Yes, Chelsea have won this without a big scorer too. It their system is built on 1-0 wins ours isn’t.

I dare say we’d have absolutely destroyed Chelsea last night if the PSG team had played. I still can’t believe why he’d not do that.

Yep. Chelsea deserved their win, well done.
Pep brainfart did it again.
Not feeling that bad after the season we've had - was a free hit, we didn't get it, but we made serious strides forward this/last year.
Last night was another major step.
We stay in the news.
We continue to compete for the top prizes.

As a season it was great.

Remember PSG, Dortmund. The league games. There was much to be proud of.

We will lick our wounds and recover. I hope City don't make any stupid transfer decisions over the Summer.

It will be an interesting Summer. What direction do we take with the team? A new centre-forward, or do we embrace the 4-6-0, and enhance the 6?

In ways it was reminiscent of the Lyon game. We saw the lineup and were uncomfortable right away. About 20 minutes into the game we knew, yeah, this is not going to go well. And just like that game, we did nothing to change it or realise it needed changing.
Like we were uncomfortable with the lineup I am sure the players were too and the game was lost almost psychologically.

Perhaps Pep's tactic was the right thing to do but with a history of overthinking games it was inevitable that the players were affected. Add on top of this the difficulty of playing against tight defences and it made an already difficult game even more so.

The way I saw it was YES this was solely down to Pep and his team sheet, it's a Champion's league final, you play your best team, END OF. As soon as I saw the team sheet I thought "We're fucked", playing Sterling meant both Foden and Gundogan played out of position and both hardly had a kick in the first half and this for a player who has been dire for virtually the whole of the season, WHY?, it nullified Foden and took away Gundogan's attacking threat which has been brilliant all season, Pep's clearly never heard the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Said it to loads of people after the match and I’ll say it again
We’ve not looked vulnerable to that through ball or ball over the top since Tottenham game, we’ve had Ferna or Rhodri giving protection to the back 4, last night he changes it in our most important game against a team with a lightning quick striker, they should’ve been 2 up before they scored. Gundo has had his best season for us playing in a more advanced role and so he takes him out of that position
It’s his quick interplay with KDB & Foden in and around the box that has unlocked defences all season so he’s basically taken that option away v a team who are brilliantly organised defensively
He’s put a player in who has not performed well for my months and is so out of form and low on confidence he’d struggle to get in a lot of sides at the moment
He’s not done this in a CC tie he’s fine it in a CL final

what the actual fuck Pep, WHY

Bar the odd game, I think we have looked vulnerable defensively since we lost to United, particularly with goals starting from that side of the pitch. With the exception of the Everton game and the two European ones, we have been a bit off our game for the last couple of months.

How are we feeling in the morning?
Gutted we didn't give it our best shot. Such a disappointment. In a champions league final we should never be left wondering what if, as much as we are. Should have played the best team in the best positions.

Would have been our best ever season with the win

But not to be, dissapointment still hasn't gone away, the day after

But victories at Anfield, wins over Dortmund and PSG and the way we beat them will still make this a memorable season

Our 5th Title and another cup title, makes this a very memorable season regardless of yesterday's avoidable defeat

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.