Champions League group permutations

Villareal were not easy at home , it will be a lot harder today.

If we beat them then Napoli still have to go there. It will be a massive face saving exercise to beat Napoli last game.

Like Blackburn in the Champion League, they were out after 4 games then won 4-1 their last game at home.

Corky said:

If we beat them then Napoli still have to go there. It will be a massive face saving exercise to beat Napoli last game.

Like Blackburn in the Champion League, they were out after 4 games then won 4-1 their last game at home.

Thought Napoli's game against Villareal was at home in Naples - might be wrong mind

Corky said:

They are carrying a lot of injuries now and really after losing to us like they did they'll be a bit depleted. I can see us winning the game but unfortunately i can see them getting beat by the other 2 as well. I can see it going right down to the Bayern game for this group.

dctid said:
Corky said:

Thought Napoli's game against Villareal was at home in Naples - might be wrong mind[/quote]

That was 'match day 2'

2 high profile injuries does not help, but most home teams would still retain the advantage and get something.

Is it not just as simple as 2 wins and we're through? Wouldn't it be impossible for any other 2 teams to get more than 10?

If we beat Villarreal and then Napoli or Bayern, neither Napoli or Bayern can get 2 wins.

Bongo Joe said:
Is it not just as simple as 2 wins and we're through? Wouldn't it be impossible for any other 2 teams to get more than 10?

If we beat Villarreal and then Napoli or Bayern, neither Napoli or Bayern can get 2 wins.

Say you beat Villarreal and Napoli. Loose against Bayern.

Bayern could win all games. They have 16 and are 1st. Napoli only wins against Villarreal. Than Napoli has 8 points and is 3rd.

If Bayern and Napoli would tie, both Napoli and Bayern win against Villarreal
Bayern had 14 is 1st. Napoli had 9 and is 3rd.

Napoli wins in Munich. Bayern would have 13 and be 1st.
Napoli would have 11 and is 2nd.

---------------------

You beat Villarreal and Bayern. Both win against Villarreal. You loose against Napoli.

Bayern wins against Napoli and 13 - 1st.
Napoli would have 11 and is 2nd.

Napoli and Bayern tie.
Bayern would have 11 and be 2nd.
Napoli would have 12 and be 1st.

Bayern looses against Napoli. Napoli had 14 and would be 1st.
Bayern had 10. You would have to win the last game with more than 2 goals.

------------------------

You loose against Villarreal. Win against Bayern and Napoli. Both win against Villarreal.

Bayern wins against Napoli. Bayern has 13.
Napoli has 8 and is 3rd.

Bayern ties against Napoli. Bayern has 11.
Napoli has 9 and is 3rd.

Napoli wins and has 12 and is 1st.
Bayern would have 10 and it would depend on the last game.
Bayern has 10 and it depends if you win the last game with more than 2 goals.

I have a cold and cannot sleep. But I hope I have calculated right.

All of it includes that both Bayern and Napoli win their matches against Villarreal. Bayern had 33-0 in the last 8 games at home - so it looks good that they will get the 4 points they probably need out of the next two CL games. That should be enough for them as Napoli than could get best to 12 with beating ManCity who would have only 10. In the other direction it would be that Napoli could get best 9 or 10 and ManCity 13.

I'm with the simplistic poster in the first page.... way too many permutations

We definitely need Bayern to beat Napoli tonight (unless we still dream of topping the group - that's certainly possible but not likely - unless Bayern lose tonight!), and whatever happens to us in Villareal, we also need to not lose in Napoli, and then we're virtually through based on limiting our opponents points totals.

It's gonna be a lot simpler to work it out after tonight's results, that's for sure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.