Champions League Qualification or The FA Cup? You Decide!

WNRH said:
Blue>Red said:
realistically, would we win the champions league? we have the resources to go far in it but this would mean less attention on trophies such as the FA Cup next season, meaning yes we may be in the champions league, but would we then not win a trophy next year? Im gasping for some silverware, its hard to say.

Realistically are united going to win the champions league? There is only one team that is realistically going to win it and that is Barca but that doesn't mean we cannot give it a go. Hasn't harmed United this year nor has it hurt Spurs and we would give a better showing against Madrid over two legs.

no i know mate completely agree, but my question would be if it was an ultimatum, would you as a fan risk going another season without silverware?

Blue>Red said:
WNRH said:
Realistically are united going to win the champions league? There is only one team that is realistically going to win it and that is Barca but that doesn't mean we cannot give it a go. Hasn't harmed United this year nor has it hurt Spurs and we would give a better showing against Madrid over two legs.

no i know mate completely agree, but my question would be if it was an ultimatum, would you as a fan risk going another season without silverware?

I would if it meant some of our best players would stay because they would be playing Champions League football. An FA Cup win and playing in the Europa League is not going to convince Silva, Balotelli, Tevez, de Jong ect to stay. They are too good to not be playing in the Champions League.

WNRH said:
Blue>Red said:

I would if it meant some of our best players would stay because they would be playing Champions League football. An FA Cup win and playing in the Europa League is not going to convince Silva, Balotelli, Tevez, de Jong ect to stay. They are too good to not be playing in the Champions League.

hmmm yeah i suppose. Just have to do both then wont we ;)

Re: Beating Spurs or The FA Cup?

Dribble said:
danburge82 said:
I keep on hearing this same old statement, over and over! But say we lose the cup final but finish fourth this season, next season we might finish fourth again maybe even third. We will have built no champion mentality. We would have failed in a final. Whereas actually winning a trophy, I reckon, will catapult this club forward and give us the confidence and belief to actually challenge for the title next season! We will have their air of a champion and it will benefit us in terms of challenging for other trophies forever more.

I also think it would change us as a set of fans. We'd have that monkey off our backs, the banner will be down, new songs can be sung, we will be a happier group of people. Getting knocked out of the group stages of the CL, or even worse losing the qualifying game, after losing the cup final won't change us as a set of fans, it will make the prolongued wait even worse!

THAT's the difference between failing to win the league (because fourth is a failure, so is third, second is respectable!) and actually WINNING a trophy! Winning breeds winning, it's said in all sports and even business. We will win fuck all in finishing fourth!

Last season we finished fifth yet still signed the same players we would have done if we'd won the Prem title. So that didn't effect us one bit! People need to realise that Messi, CRonaldo, Iniesta... will not be coming to us! They won't, not even if we win the league!

Obviously we should try as hard as possible to achieve both but in a straight up choice I'd choose winning the cup over not winning the league, nor finishing runners up, and not even third... every time!
Do you really think winning the FA Cup alone will get the monkey off our backs? Trust me, The Rags will just move it on to 'never won the Prem' and then 'never won the Champions League' then even if we achieved those targets the next monkey would be how many more times they've won it more than us!!

I've waited 35 years for major success and for me getting into the Champions League is success! Uefa have ensured this the day they added the word 'League' into the equation. Progress-wise and FFP-wise we need this and this was our No1 priority at the start of this season.

It's been widely said that if we can throw in a cup along the way then all the better, but for me we HAVE to play our strongest team in every game from now until the end of the season and that includes the FA Cup final but we shouldn't allow ourselves to get distracted from our main aim and objective since last August...... Champions League qualification and preferably no qualifying rounds either!

I truly believe we can achieve success in both, but I have a nagging fear that squad rotation in the quest for a cup could ultimately cause us to run aground where the bigger picture is concerned!!

After the dust of an FA cup win had settled, could you imagine Spuds playing AC Milan & Real Madrid in the Champions League again, whilst we were back to Thursday nights on Channel 5 at Poznan & Saltzburg? I'd be fuckin gutted!!!!

I couldn't give a shit what United think! I'm 29 and seen us win fuck all... that's the monkey!

-- Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:50 pm --

de niro said:
weejh said:
Fair point Jay, but in all honesty, how much will missing champs league set us back? It's a genuine question cos I am not too sure tbh. Will players leave? Not IMO. Will we still be able to attract players on the back of a chamPs league qualifier, who wouldn't come for the money we could offer? Very possibly IMO again. The only big change i can see in having to wait an extra year( hopefully) is that Mancini isnt there, and that would please quite a few on here anyway

i want the cup more than anyone, with our squad we should get both, lets hope so.

to say non qualification to the CL wont set us back is well in honesty unbelievable. it is vital on many fronts.

1, players will leave.
2, players wont come.
3, those that do will ask for 50 grand a week more(platini will love that)
4, our turnover will drop rather than grow.
5, we play on a thursday/sunday rather than wed/sat the former pulling in less at the gate.
6, much much less like millions less tv money.
7 if we dont get 4th spurs will and it will strengthen them for yet another season, thats two in a row we have added to their progress and their coffers.

most of all i want the prestige of first playing, second winning it.
you can't win it if you are not it the bloody thing.

1. If players will leave then they're here for the wrong reasons, so good riddance!
2. The Messi/C.Ronaldo level players won't be coming even if we win the league. All other level players WILL come! If we'd won the league last season we'd still only has signed Silva Yaya Balo Boateng Kolarov... so invalid point!
3. Based on what? Made up bullshit!
4. I think it would grow, but less significantly - so averagely fair point! Here's one for you.. we don't get through the qualifying round in August and we haven't won the cup, we'd be worse off overall!
5. Our Saturday and Sunday games have had no real difference in attendance, we've been at about 44-45000 no matter what the weekend day.
6. True. But in ten years time it will have no baring on us, we'll be a top successful club no matter what. The biggest thing for me is that everyone is looking ten yards down the road I stead of the ten miles you would actually see if you raised your heads!
7. Nope, they got there on merit last season, they were better than us. And again look at the end of my reply to point 6. Spurs can ve as good as they want but regardless we'll be the best in ten years time. Knowing this I'd rather get a trophy now and worry about failing to finish third (which is also a failure!) another day!

Re: Beating Spurs or The FA Cup?

danburge82 said:
Dribble said:
Do you really think winning the FA Cup alone will get the monkey off our backs? Trust me, The Rags will just move it on to 'never won the Prem' and then 'never won the Champions League' then even if we achieved those targets the next monkey would be how many more times they've won it more than us!!

I've waited 35 years for major success and for me getting into the Champions League is success! Uefa have ensured this the day they added the word 'League' into the equation. Progress-wise and FFP-wise we need this and this was our No1 priority at the start of this season.

It's been widely said that if we can throw in a cup along the way then all the better, but for me we HAVE to play our strongest team in every game from now until the end of the season and that includes the FA Cup final but we shouldn't allow ourselves to get distracted from our main aim and objective since last August...... Champions League qualification and preferably no qualifying rounds either!

I truly believe we can achieve success in both, but I have a nagging fear that squad rotation in the quest for a cup could ultimately cause us to run aground where the bigger picture is concerned!!

After the dust of an FA cup win had settled, could you imagine Spuds playing AC Milan & Real Madrid in the Champions League again, whilst we were back to Thursday nights on Channel 5 at Poznan & Saltzburg? I'd be fuckin gutted!!!!

I couldn't give a shit what United think! I'm 29 and seen us win fuck all... that's the monkey!

-- Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:50 pm --

de niro said:
i want the cup more than anyone, with our squad we should get both, lets hope so.

to say non qualification to the CL wont set us back is well in honesty unbelievable. it is vital on many fronts.

1, players will leave.
2, players wont come.
3, those that do will ask for 50 grand a week more(platini will love that)
4, our turnover will drop rather than grow.
5, we play on a thursday/sunday rather than wed/sat the former pulling in less at the gate.
6, much much less like millions less tv money.
7 if we dont get 4th spurs will and it will strengthen them for yet another season, thats two in a row we have added to their progress and their coffers.

most of all i want the prestige of first playing, second winning it.
you can't win it if you are not it the bloody thing.

1. If players will leave then they're here for the wrong reasons, so good riddance!
2. The Messi/C.Ronaldo level players won't be coming even if we win the league. All other level players WILL come! If we'd won the league last season we'd still only has signed Silva Yaya Balo Boateng Kolarov... so invalid point!
3. Based on what? Made up bullshit!
4. I think it would grow, but less significantly - so averagely fair point! Here's one for you.. we don't get through the qualifying round in August and we haven't won the cup, we'd be worse off overall!
5. Our Saturday and Sunday games have had no real difference in attendance, we've been at about 44-45000 no matter what the weekend day.
6. True. But in ten years time it will have no baring on us, we'll be a top successful club no matter what. The biggest thing for me is that everyone is looking ten yards down the road I stead of the ten miles you would actually see if you raised your heads!
7. Nope, they got there on merit last season, they were better than us. And again look at the end of my reply to point 6. Spurs can ve as good as they want but regardless we'll be the best in ten years time. Knowing this I'd rather get a trophy now and worry about failing to finish third (which is also a failure!) another day!

1) no they're not(only a couple are)
2) how do you know?
3) proven in the past.
4) We can finish 3rd, and if Spurs can get to the quarters we should be doing better.
5) Tickets sold and actual attendance are very different things, and a lot more people would turn up for the CL.
6) How do you know?
7) Rubbish, we bottled it in big games at the end of last season which would have comfortably seen us in. How do you know we'll be the best at any point regardless of whether we qualify this season or not?

We need CL to move the club forward however a trophy would create a winning mentality - so - both.

I have a question,

Will Yaya keep playing like this till the end of the season???
I think if he goes 100% for the rest of our games, we will get both.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.