Changing my Sky+ Box - can I keep my old recordings

TueartsOHK

Team supported
Citizens of Hope and Glory
Finally catching up with technology and getting a new HD Sky + box this week.

My problem is that I have the whole title winning QPR game (about 3-4 hours worth) on my old box plus Blue Moon Rising film and others. Is there any way of getting these programs off my old box and putting them on the new one? Are the programs stored as files on the hard drive in the box?

I'm not bothered about taking the old box apart - it's probably going to be binned anyway. Any suggestions welcome.

I don't believe there is.

When I upgraded my SKY box about 12 months ago I had the exact same issue. I had the City v QPR game, in full, as well as the SKY Premier League Years 2011/12 saved. The SKY bloke who we spoke to on the phone said it was fine, wouldn't be an issue, and the bloke who came to replace the box could simply transfer it all over for me. The bloke who arrived told me he had no idea why I'd been told that, and that it wasn't possible to transfer the data across, so I lost it all! Managed to re-tape them both now however, as SKY love a good repeat!

Matty said:
I don't believe there is.

When I upgraded my SKY box about 12 months ago I had the exact same issue. I had the City v QPR game, in full, as well as the SKY Premier League Years 2011/12 saved. The SKY bloke who we spoke to on the phone said it was fine, wouldn't be an issue, and the bloke who came to replace the box could simply transfer it all over for me. The bloke who arrived told me he had no idea why I'd been told that, and that it wasn't possible to transfer the data across, so I lost it all! Managed to re-tape them both now however, as SKY love a good repeat!

This was the same for me,told on the phone he would transfer it but the engineer said no way
I lost the QPR and 1-6 but have since re-taped them

Sadly it's gone mate.

Changed my Sky Box and lost the 6- 1 and QPR. Luckily, the QPR game was repeated last Christmas by Sky.

You can't transfer onto another box. I had same issue as I used to watch the QPR, 6-1 and cup final all the time when i was bored but unfortunately there is no way.

Bit old fashioned but I'm sure you can use the scart out to record to a DVD recorder, vaguely remember doing this aged ago.

I think the skysports/movies ppv have copy protection built in called Macrovision.

you could try taking the hdd out, connecting it to a pc and see if this <a class="postlink" href="http://www.skycopyplus.co.uk/extract.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.skycopyplus.co.uk/extract.php</a>
will extract the files. viewing them may be another problem altogether, someone like TCIB may know more

Thanks for some of the suggestions on here (sounds like a few other people have had the same dilemma). Also glad that there are some old gits like me who still say "taping" rather than "recording" :-)

You would have thought that Sky would offer this as a free service as it must put some people off upgrading. My experience of Sky is that you don't ever get something for nothing.

jknight said:

My problem is that I have the whole title winning QPR game (about 3-4 hours worth) on my old box plus Blue Moon Rising film and others. Is there any way of getting these programs off my old box and putting them on the new one? Are the programs stored as files on the hard drive in the box?

I'm not bothered about taking the old box apart - it's probably going to be binned anyway. Any suggestions welcome.

You can record onto an external PVR (such as an Archos) play back through the scart plug in the back of the HD BOX onto the PVR and it will record. You can then playback from the PVR onto your tv.

failing that keep the old box and link that into a tv<br /><br />-- Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:17 pm --<br /><br />
jknight said:

You can record onto an external PVR (such as an Archos) play back through the scart plug in the back of the HD BOX onto the PVR and it will record. You can then playback from the PVR onto your tv.

failing that keep the old box and link that into a tv

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.