Check This Out

JM Mcr said:
A very selective use of transfer fees to try and make a point. Between buying Robson and Cole, Utd spent more than the Robson fee but significantly less than the Cole fee on Parker, Pallister and Keane - all signed from British clubs, which I believe is the point of the post (Hughes was signed back from Barca for £1.8m, a profit of half a million on the fee received from Barca 2 years earlier). Roy Keane was actually bought for £3.75m, a huge fee at the time, and record between British clubs, which Blackburn had already agreed to pay so Utd matched to secure the deal. Interestingly enough the press were full of how Blackburns money was going to ruin football back then - the game's still here tho ;-)

It may give some context to remember City werent averse to flashing the cash back then either. In the early 90s you spent more than the Robson fee, referred to by the postwriter, on Alan Kernaghan, David Rocastle, Keith Curle and Terry Phelan - the latter 3 costing £2m+ each. In fact both Keith Curle and Terry Phelan were more expensive than either Parker or Pallister.
Cosmo-Sniff.gif

Didn't City break the domestic record when we signed Denis Law from Huddersfield? £52,000?

JM Mcr said:
A very selective use of transfer fees to try and make a point. Between buying Robson and Cole, Utd spent more than the Robson fee but significantly less than the Cole fee on Parker, Pallister and Keane - all signed from British clubs, which I believe is the point of the post (Hughes was signed back from Barca for £1.8m, a profit of half a million on the fee received from Barca 2 years earlier). Roy Keane was actually bought for £3.75m, a huge fee at the time, and record between British clubs, which Blackburn had already agreed to pay so Utd matched to secure the deal. Interestingly enough the press were full of how Blackburns money was going to ruin football back then - the game's still here tho ;-)

It may give some context to remember City werent averse to flashing the cash back then either. In the early 90s you spent more than the Robson fee, referred to by the postwriter, on Alan Kernaghan, David Rocastle, Keith Curle and Terry Phelan - the latter 3 costing £2m+ each. In fact both Keith Curle and Terry Phelan were more expensive than either Parker or Pallister.

Incorrect. Kernaghan was £1.4m so was not more than Robson, although very overpiced. Rocastle was a straight swap for White, mooted at about £1/1.5m. Rocastle left after only 20 odd games to Chelsea for around the same price. I know we were bad with money but we would
not throw away £1m in less than a year on a player back then, when a £1 was a significant amount. Curle and Phelan were both over £2m though.

bluebanana83 said:
JM Mcr said:

Incorrect. Kernaghan was £1.4m so was not more than Robson, although very overpiced. Rocastle was a straight swap for White, mooted at about £1/1.5m. Rocastle left after only 20 odd games to Chelsea for around the same price. I know we were bad with money but we would
not throw away £1m in less than a year on a player back then, when a £1 was a significant amount. Curle and Phelan were both over £2m though.
Tho I can remember both Utd & City spending big in the early 90s I can't remember exact fees. Scanned the net and my above statement is based on figures recorded on Soccerbase. My apologies if they're wrong tho seem about right to me...

JM Mcr said:
bluebanana83 said:
JM Mcr said:

Tho I can remember both Utd & City spending big in the early 90s I can't remember exact fees. Scanned the net and my above statement is based on figures recorded on Soccerbase. My apologies if they're wrong tho seem about right to me...
Just checked on transferleague.co.uk and they're also quoting Kernaghan fee as £1.6m and Rocastle's as £2m so guess I'll stand by my original statement...

Whilst checking on there I noticed Kinkladze only cost half a mil more than Gerry Creaney - absolute steal!!

Fergie has been getting away with being a clown for years now. He says what he wants and most of what he says is total shit.

JM Mcr said:
JM Mcr said:
bluebanana83 said:
Just checked on transferleague.co.uk and they're also quoting Kernaghan fee as £1.6m and Rocastle's as £2m so guess I'll stand by my original statement...

Whilst checking on there I noticed Kinkladze only cost half a mil more than Gerry Creaney - absolute steal!!

I'm standing by Rocastle was £1.2m swap for White as Gary James says so in his book Manchester City - The Complete Record. Gary James is never wrong. lol.

Kernaghan may have been £1.6m but i'm sure I remember it as £1.4m, and Summerbee was £1.5m the following season. Kinkladze was £2m if I remember, and Creaney was £1m plus Walsh or something bloody bonkers like that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.