Check This Out

Transfer fees reported in the media are often wrong. Selling clubs and buying clubs will often release different figures for a variety of reasons (tax, plus sometimes you want to give the impression you've spent more than you actually have; plus there are all sorts of additional appearance based fees/international fees that can come in years later).

Because of this I think it's fair to say that sources in the media can only be approximates unless both clubs publicly agree the figure and that is what is ultimately reported in their accounts. When City bought Steve Daley I remember the exact figure paid by City, including tax, appearing in the match prog, but even then Wolves held a different view. City boasted about how much they'd spent and how much they'd broken the tranfer record.

As for the British record and comparisons between City & Utd - in included a detailed list of everytime the Manc clubs broke the British record either as a buyer or as a seller in the 2nd edition of "Manchester A Football History" (get it out of the library - it'll be worth it) as I was sick of these sort of comparisons being based on modern day websites that only have half the story.

I went back, season by season, and tried to determine what the record was and what transfers broke it. The conclusion I reached based on information available in City/Utd literature, websites, 'independent' material, newspapers and so on is that....

City broke the transfer record 4 times between 1900 and Dec 2010 and United broke it 5 times. The players - Thornley (1904), Barnes (1914), Daley (1979) & Robinho (2008) & Law (62), Robson (81), Cole (95), Veron (01) & Ferdinand (02).

These were records involving English clubs, but there were additional records such as Denis Law arriving at City in 1959-60 which was a domestic record (but in 1957 Charles had been sold by Leeds to Juventus for £65,000 so it wasn't viewed as the record involving a British club).

Having said all of this, the transfer record itself doesn't mean a team is high spending, it merely means it's spent a large amount on one player. So, I researched another angle.

I produced a table of every purchase by City or United with a value of £7m or more. The figures came from reliable annuals like the NotW annual, Rothmans/Sky Sports and I started my search in the early 90s.

The first player bought by either Manchester club for a fee of £7m or more was Andy Cole in 1995.

From 1995 (including Cole) to Dec 2010 United signed 21 players for £7m or more and City signed 22. However, between 1995 and start of July 2007 City had only signed 1 player (Anelka) for £7m or more while Utd had signed 14 (3 of which had cost £27m or more by 2004!)

For me that final stat is the most significant. At a time when most football clubs could spend a few million, United were able to buy 14 players to City's 1 valuable asset.

What everyone sweeps under the carpet (except rag fans who use it for the basis of their 'yoof' policy) is the impact the 'golden generation' had on rag finances also.

The coming through, effectively in a few years, of Neville + Neville, Butt, Scholes, Beckham, Giggs effectively gave the rags half a team they didn't need to buy. That has never been repeated since anywhere (apart from Barca) and is extremely unlikely to be repeated again.

Since then they've had Wes Brown & John O'Shea (squad players) and Fletcher in 20 years following the Beckhams etc. Now maybe add Welbeck and Cleverley (still a big if on Cleverley) and I don't think Welbeck is international class, just a decent striker in a strong team. Even the brazilian twins were £2.5m signings so it's arguable they could be counted as true youth development considering a lot of PL clubs will pay £2.5m for senior players. Any rag that tries to quote Ronaldo, Jones, Smalling, Anderson as youth development just has me laughing in their face considering what those players cost.

Finally, for those that go on about net spend, the rags started with a CL class team at the start of the PL due to massive spending in 88-91. It stands to reason if your tean is stuffed with stars that you will be able to sell some of them for big money thereby funding their replacements to a degree making your net spend look great.

Our rejects and fringe players alone (if including Tevez) probably add up to £70-£80m with Adebayor, Tevez, RSC, Kolarov (maybe), Boyata, MJ, Weiss, Bridge, Savic (maybe), NDJ (maybe), AJ (maybe) and a few kids. With the exception of Tevez and Kolarov most wouldn't need replacing. Not saying we would get rid of all of these, just they are not guaranteed 1st teamers (exception being that argie twat again)

I would bet my mortgage that City's net spend over the next 5 years is going to look hugely different to the last 5 years now we have the top class squad (and a lot of decent youngsters in from various places) to base our buying and selling on - effectively we are now at the same point in regards to a squad as United were in 1992 so providing we make sensible sales and purchases I can see us aiming for cost neutral in terms of transfer spend, maybe a small loss.

I don't think it's been mentioned but one of the record transfers that took place in the rags history, and what sums them up, is the British transfer fee (45,000) paid for Albert Quixall in Sept 1958, this was after the rags had recieved donations and financial assistance from all clubs throughout the country after the Air Disaster.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.