Chelsea (A) Post Match Thread

Bah! Was hoping that we'd go undefeated this season.

Still - our squad is far deeper and injuries will take their tool on Liverpool. We should still win the title.

Hopefully the Scouse will qualify for the knockout stages of the C/L as to keep their resources maximally committed.

Tactially, what I thought I saw was a concerted effort by Chelsea to nullify our winger threat. I was quite surprised to see how quickly they sent a midfielder out and brought a winger down to essentially double and triple team us on the wings. This left all of our wingers frustrated and forced into a lot of back passes as they just didn't have numerical advantage. Theoretically they should have been really vulnerable to threat down the middle or rapid switching of play but we never really seemed able to free a man into space consistently. I know many of our supporters were bemoaning Mahrez or the other wingers at times but I think they were being crowded out very deliberately and didn't have the conditions to play intelligent football and create chances -- the intelligent thing was to recognize that they were outnumbered and move the ball on. This is where we really need FBs who can distribute and personally I wish we had someone who could drillble a man in CM more because we needed the beating of a man somewhere centrally to create space.

I agree with this in general - but why the drop off? First half we were massively in control - without our best players. At half time they didn’t change players, we didn’t change; and so it’s not clear to me that it was the lack of the major players was the cause of the change

Firslty their goal against the run of play changed things massively. Put us under a lot of pressure, which is exactly when you need the likes of Aguero and KDB to break things open. Secondly, I think Chelsea got emboldened and started playing a lot more. Unfortunately both Silvas had an off day so we were not able to penetrate down the centre. Exactly where KDB would have made a difference.

Only had a chance to watch the highlights earlier after being at the Bridge on Saturday. Few points:

- We've mullered them 1st Half
- Pull the fucking trigger in the box
- Sane may not have tracked properly but Kyle Walker is abysmal twice in the build up to their 1st goal.
- Kyle Walker over free kicks in dangerous positions. Why?

1st goal was like a Japanese Aircraft Carrier being sunk at the battle of Midway. CAP (defence) pulled down to the deck (goal line) and in comes a squadren of dive bombers (Kante unmarked/not picked up) that drops a great power shot (dive bomb) straight into the carrier (our net) and Kaboam (1-0). Where was David Silva (nominally being man marked by Kante) or any other of our midfield attack?

Both Silvas were man marked. West ham did it with some success, Bournemouth did the same, Chelsea did it brilliantly.

went to the game but first half so fuck all of the ball until chavs scored. Managed to pluck up courage in danger of pissing myself off even more by watching the highlights last night. And yes it pissed me off even more, why on earth did we create the best chances by far but yet go in one nil down. We could quite easily have been two up by then, but we weren't and that how footy goes sometimes.

The two hardest games this season Liverpool / Chelsea away. So if you had to lose a game this season one of these you would chose rather than a team you expect to beat. We have now played both games away and only got one point, not a good stat overall. But both games we have been the better team.

It was simply one of those games where we were the better side yet conceded with their first shot on goal. Second half they nullified us and we got somewhat frustrated. The tempo slowed. It was the first time this season I thought we really missed KdB and to a lesser extend Aguero. It is what it is.
Obviously you get the question if we have been found out. Just take away our KdB, Aguero and Mendy with any other team and they will struggle. Even more so vs a team that can win the title as well. Pity but we will get over it by showing a good reaction in the next few games. We normally do nowadays.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.