Chelsea Blueprint - A missed opportunity?

The OP makes some very interesting points.

I'm certainly no expert on this, but I would have thought the majority of top players were under Nike's wing aren't they?.... so Umbro being a Nike subsidiary would cause no conflict of interest.

Also, is it not widely recognised that you associate the kit manufacturer with the team, but the boot manufacturer directly with the player?

I would have thought also, that given Garry Cooke's background he would have had direct input in the deal.

Interesting thread.

AntonDonJuan said:
Would we really want a player who will only go to a club because of who manufactures their shirts?

I was just about to say the same thing.

alera said:
We certainly seem to be trying the progesssion modelthat worked with Chelsea; buy proven experienced british isle players and a few marque foreigners to try and force out way into the top 4.

The difference is that we were already in the "Top 4" and Top 6 and played Champions League football before Roman ;p

boris karloff said:
The OP makes some very interesting points.

I'm certainly no expert on this, but I would have thought the majority of top players were under Nike's wing aren't they?
Interesting thread.

Adidas have; Kaka, Lampard, Gerrard, Messi, Beckham, Alonso to name a few so they've both got big name players under thier sponsorship.

Obviously Cooke has very strong ties with nike, I do find it strange that we have been shunted to one of their subsiduary companies.

Either nike dont fancy putting us head to head with our neighbours for whatever reason. Which I would kick off over

Or

There is a community feel to tthe deal by being sponsored by a "Manchester Brand".

Either way I do think 10 years is far too long. Ten Years ago we were in Div2! Its a long time. Where could we be in another 10! If we are Uber Succesful Umbro or whoever should pay more for advertising on our kit! We could be losing out

I've read some of the posts regarding players who have deals with brands which may have a conflict. However I do think that once you get to a certain level, actually what the player can do for the team both on the pitch & in a truely marquee players case, in shirt sales they will make an allowance.

I think when it comes to shirt sales & media interest the likes of RM can overlook the likes of Kaka being tied to Sony or Peckham to Vodafone etc.

I know the owners are minted, but it would be nice for us to be self sufficient & professional

At least the advent of MCTV looks a step in the right direction.

Daleblue,

Yeah you're right, big chief GC said in the Points of Blue forum that it was vey important that City, being a Manchester Club, retained its heritage so to speak and that is why we were getting a Manchester brand.

I think it's good that we keep this, rather than "selling out" to some other brand with no connection to us i guess.

Although if we do become huge we could either: Bring the umbro brand up with us (maybe nike would like it to be huge also and we could help that), or if within 10 years we get massive, I'm sure we could trade up to the parent company and go with Nike.

Either way, I'm dead chuffed with the kits.

Umbro have plans to be bigger and better than Addidas and Co. it wouldn't suprise me in the next 5 or so years you will see alot more players on Umbro's books.

Dale Blue said:
Either way I do think 10 years is far too long. Ten Years ago we were in Div2! Its a long time. Where could we be in another 10! If we are Uber Succesful Umbro or whoever should pay more for advertising on our kit! We could be losing out

Garry Cooke is a very good businessman, i am sure he has clauses in his contract that will get more money if we are successfull.

Immaculate Pasta said:
Umbro have plans to be bigger and better than Addidas and Co. it wouldn't suprise me in the next 5 or so years you will see alot more players on Umbro's books.

I could definitly see that happening if they continue making these new quality kits like our new kit and england's new kit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.