Chelsea (H) Post-Match Thread

They were a match for us today and their midfield was actually better than ours.

Their midfield had more energy and passed the ball better.

Sterling had a shocker, Mahrez, other than his brilliant winner, had a shocker.

Both full backs were poor at times with the ball.

However, Stones and especially Fernandinho were superb and Kun worked his bollocks off and also held the ball up well.

The number of times they bypassed our laboured pressing with simple one two’s deep in their own half, and then steamed 40 yards downfield unmolested was alarming. Fernandinho may well have been MotM at centre half, but his absence in midfield this season has been incalculable.
Thought Jorginho, Kante and Kovacic bossed the match as a unit. Curious game in as much as we had the clearer chances, but they looked the sharper team. Come the summer we need an overhaul. A centre forward, a centre half, a wide player (to replace Sane) and, yet again, a left back, should all be on the list.

It’s overwhelming proof of the BBC’s new Anti-Mount agenda. Or at least it would be if he played for City. Not seen a replay either but it looked fairly close to me, I suspect it’s just one of the numerous very good chances that get cut on the editing floor

I said in the pre-match thread their midfield is the second best in the league and we would struggle with more than one from Rodri/Gundogan/silva in there and that ultimately proved to be the case. The instance we had just one which was when both Rodri and Silva went off and Gundogan came in flanked by the energy of Foden and kdb despite it being a seriously flagging kdb by that point we looked a lot more in control. We’re simply not mobile enough in midfield with any 2/3 combination of those 3
All being well, back to full strength by Feb/March. Will we sign anyone in January?

Foden looked decent when he came on. Gave us extra legs and mobility. Needs a run of games to cement his place in the side. Has to start mid-week for me.
England suddenly has more decent midfielders than for a long long time. I keep saying it, but Foden is the most naturally gifted English player in the Prem. Not only that, he is the best English midfield player. David's influence is clearly there, but there is something of Modric about him as well. Some say he does not play like an English player. He would look at home in the Spain team.

The number of times they bypassed our laboured pressing with simple one two’s deep in their own half, and then steamed 40 yards downfield unmolested was alarming

it’s happening almost every game this. Chelsea had 4 really good opportunities in the game other than the goal. The shot from
The corner that looked like it clipped the post. Willian’s shot wide, the shot by Willian tipped over by Ederson and the Kante shot blocked by Fernandinho.

Fairplay to pep for changing it in 2nd half and sitting deeper. Chelsea were far less of a threat then

I have rarely felt so deflated after a game, especially one we have won, as I did tonight! VAR is totally ruining the ‘beautiful game’.
Time to sort it out. :-)
I’ve got better things to do with what’s left of my life than waste it applauding a goal or seeing a shout for a penalty be overthrown by a silly machine & stupid, probably corrupt officials. I’m getting too old for this rubbish!!
I was all for VAR - but VAR used properly. I'd like to see the Rugby Union TMO and cricket off the field ref systems. All the main officials have to broadcast what they're seeing to the world - they might get it wrong but it's transparent. In football, we have to put up with a faceless VAR official in a caravan 200 miles away who doesn't have to justify his decision.

A little bit lucky today imo. They bossed the midfield for the first third of the game and were a little unlucky to be down at half time. Having said that we could easily have had a couple more but then so could they. Happy with the result which is all that matters at the moment.
Good performances from Rodri, Fern and Stones. Glad to see Stones getting back to his best.

What a weird game of football? Couldn't figure out the rhythm of it all. Lots of mistakes, and I felt weirdly serene for the whole game.

He might be likable but if Mendy is the answer then we are asking the wrong question. His passing going forward is atrocious. Sterling terrible today and people telling him he is in same bracket as Messi are wrecking his head. He is a very good player. He has a long long way to go and much to prove to be considered a great player.
Sterling is now a bona fide world class player - regularly immense for England as well. He was superb in the World Cup but there was an agenda against reporting his performances objectively. No player in the world has been in the same bracket as Messi in his prime, except Ronaldo (but very much second best, despite his colossal record for Portugal).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.