Chelsea (H) | Pre-Match Thread

Result Prediction

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MAG

Chelsea H.jpg

Premier League Stats

We have a poor overall record against them in the Premier League era; not totally unexpected. Looking at the Head-to-Head stats, we have faced them 47 times but have only managed 14 wins while they have won 26 of them and the remaining seven games have been draws between the two sides. In the Recent Meetings though we have had the better of them having won four out of last six meetings in the league (only most recent five are listed below) ... but this is especially true at home as we have won the last three meetings at the Etihad. The most memorable of them being that 6-0 thrashing of Saari's Chelsea on our way to that second (back-to-back) Premier League title under Pep. A certain Sergio Aguero scored a hat-trick in that game.

H2H.jpg

Last time I wrote about Chelsea pre-match in the league, it was just before that reverse fixture at the start of the year ... they were in the middle of a proper wobble back then after being hailed as an outside title challengers early on. That win against them started our long winning run while they went further down to a point where a managerial change was required ... their new manager has since come in and completely transformed their fortunes. The Form Guide and Season So Far stats don't tell the whole story (as these are only for the Premier League). Other than being the favourite for clinching that last spot in the top four this season, Chelsea have already secured their place in the FA Cup Final and are also on the verge of making it to the Champions League Final as well.

Form.jpg

Before & After

They have a tighter schedule than us this week ... their Champions League Semi Final is a day after ours so we would get an extra day on them going into the weekend. And afterwards as well, they play Arsenal a couple of days earlier than we have to play Newcastle.

Here are the two sides' before and after games:

Chelsea

Wed 5 - 8:00pm - Real Madrid (H) - CL SF
Sat 8 - 5:30pm - Manchester City (A) - PL
Wed 12 - 8:15pm - Arsenal (H) - PL

Manchester City

Tue 4 - 8:00pm - PSG (H) - CL SF
Sat 8 - 5:30pm - Chelsea (H) - PL
Fri 14 - 8:00pm - Newcastle (A) - PL

Looking at their series of three games in a week of Real Madrid, Manchester City and Arsenal, I won't be too surprised if ours is a tie where they think of rotating a bit and trying harder to win the other two (one being a must-win knockout tie and other perhaps more winnable than us) ... but then their last summer spending has equipped them with a squad good enough to rotate completely and still be very competitive.

Pre-Match Thoughts

There are ZERO thoughts about Chelsea in my head as I start this game's pre-match thread. Obviously right now (Tuesday afternoon) all my thoughts are about the game this evening against Paris Saint-Germain. And the very reason I am posting this now (earlier in the day) is because I think I will be too occupied mentally after the end of that game to be able to write anything about Chelsea anyway. Will obviously either be deliriously happy having reached the Final of the Champions League or too distraught to ... well, I'm not even considering that alternative right now.

As for this game against Chelsea, and whatever happens in the Champions League tonight ... it would be hard to think about them anyway because all the focus will be on us and the big question, the only question will be ... if we will be the Premier League Champions by the end of this game?

PL.jpg

Yes, it will be ideal that we finish the job ourselves on the pitch on Saturday ... but even if we don't, we could still be confirmed the Champions on Sunday should United lose against Villa (unless their fans go on disrupting that game as well) ... and if that doesn't happen on Sunday either, there'll be another opportunity against Newcastle on next Friday ... it's pretty much inevitable though that we will be crowned the Champions of England for the third time in last four years ... our fifth title out of the last ten ... throw in all the other League Cups, FA Cups and Community Shields and this truly has been our decade ... and with our style of play, this is truly unprecedented ... so watch it, drink it in ... as we truly are witnessing something remarkable that history will remember and appreciate in years to come!

Match Prediction

It will be a tight game ... Aguero will probably start (and probably score) ... and our motivation to win the league and especially so soon after that FA Cup semi-final defeat to them would drive us on to end the day on top.

Manchester City 2 - 1 Chelsea

1 against Chelsea,no injuries,and we ll win em in Istanbul....

I hope we play the same line up we did vs Palace, but I’d especially want us to do this if they have made it to the UCL final - I don’t want them and their coach getting 90 mins practice time against our Istanbul line up.

Agree totally, plus I don’t think emotionally this tonight’s lot would be anywhere near up for a game so soon after what they’ve just achieved.

I think Pep will mix up the two teams now the A team that has played the CL QFs and SFs and the B team that has played Leeds, Chelsea in FA Cup, Palace etc. and then tell them spots in the CL Final are up for grabs and go that way all the way to the end of the season. That would keep everyone sharp and match fit as well and fighting for that starting spot ...

2 options here:

Either go full strength in an attempt to dominate and win the league. Also leaves then slogging it out for top 4 for the next 3 weeks.

or

Completely rotate again, so they don't get a feel for our full strength side (if that would actually matter and assuming they make the final).

Last edited:
2 options here:

Either go full strength in an attempt to dominate and win the league.

or

Completely rotate again, so they don't get a feel for our full strength side (if that would actually matter and assuming they make the final).
I would do the latter, then mix and match for the league games that come after that.

2 options here:

Either go full strength in an attempt to dominate and win the league.

or

They are going to be our closest challengers next season so I think its an important game.

If Chelsea win tomorrow though....then it becomes a massive game, almost like a first leg of the final for a psychological victory.

A win would also put their CL qualification in jeopardy and that would mean they have to fight all month while we take it easy as league champions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.