chemotherapy for dogs

SteWadda

Anyone ever got chemotherapy for there dog? Took ours to the vet yesterday with a lump in his neck vet is pretty sure it's lymphoma. Test back tomorrow.
I've been reading about chemotherapy and it looks like they never cure him just prolongs their life a bit. He is only 2 though so wondering if they are talking about older dogs or would it be the same. The vet asked if I had considered chemo but I hadn't considered anything and was just in shock as theres nowt I can see wrong apart from a lump.

Brutal mate. The wife has been in the animal care industry for a long time and has always sworn she would never get chemo for any of ours because (as you mentioned) it generally costs a bomb and only maybe adds a few months to their life. Also, you have to take into account how shit it is going to make the dog feel while they go through it.

That being said, my current dog is older - for a 2 year old you have to consider all the possibilities. If there is any chance it can work and add 5-7 years to the lads life you have to give it some thought. All the best whatever you decide.

TFC said:
Brutal mate. The wife has been in the animal care industry for a long time and has always sworn she would never get chemo for any of ours because (as you mentioned) it generally costs a bomb and only maybe adds a few months to their life. Also, you have to take into account how shit it is going to make the dog feel while they go through it.

That being said, my current dog is older - for a 2 year old you have to consider all the possibilities. If there is any chance it can work and add 5-7 years to the lads life you have to give it some thought. All the best whatever you decide.

From having a look it doesn't effect dogs the same as humans as it's a much lower dose which is why it doesn't kill the cancer. It a year at best from what I can see, 4-6 week with nothing but we would obviously have him put to sleep before that.

If you love your animal, you do what's right and put an end to its suffering and pain.

blueinsa said:
If you love your animal, you do what's right and put an end to its suffering and pain.
He isnt in any pain or suffering. You wouldnt know there was anything wrong with him apart from the lumps.

SteWadda said:
blueinsa said:
He isnt in any pain or suffering. You wouldnt know there was anything wrong with him apart from the lumps.

Sorry to hear this.

I'd take advice from the vet, maybe even a second vet - see what the pro's and con's are - as you have insurance it should cover the costs, but obviously it best to do what is right for you and your pet.

I wouldn't use it mate, 2nd oldest had a lump on his leg a couple of years ago and luckily enough surgery and medication managed to sort it, but we decided he was getting put to sleep before he would get chemo and not because of the cost, I've seen how nasty it is for humans to go through and the Dog can't understand what and why you're doing it to him.

My cat had cancer cut out of his stomach. Spent a grand on that. He then went onto chemo but only lasted about 3 more months. Needed to give him the chance.

Should have put him down a couple of weeks before we did as he looked gaunt at the end and was a massive cat before the cancer. Not fat, just a big cat.

Took out pet insurance and our next cat.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.