Cholesterol....

FantasyIreland said:
BlueSniffer said:
FantasyIreland said:
Obviously having a predisposition to such makes things difficult,however,out of curiosity,and if you don't mind replying,what is a typical days diet for you?

People expect me to be overweight and unhealthy but I'm the opposite. I've always been very active and ate well, I'm 5ft 9, 12.10 stone, cycle 14 miles a day, play football. Blood pressure is 125 - 80 average and a resting heart rate of 52 bpm. No matter what I eat, if it was t for statins my cholesterol would be dangerously high.

Today I've ate, yogurt, cereal bar, apple, orange, salad, bag of crisps, soup and wholemeal bread. That's probably an average day for me. Tea is usually rice or brown pasta with chicken or fish. I eat very little fatty foods.

I'm on the strongest statins possible, 40mg rosuvastatins + 10mg anzetimbe. Just started this new self injecting drug as well.

Cheers for that.

As far as diet goes you certainly eat far healthier than most,and those foods certainly should not return such a high level unless,like you,you have a family issue.

You probably are doing but dont be afraid of omega 3 fish and other 'healthy' fats and plenty of green veg.Whole Porridge for breakfast!

Cheers fella, omega 3 is a cracking idea! I need to eat more for breakfast especially as I cycle to work each day and sometimes skip brekky. It just annoying that I look after myself but there's nothing I can do change lower it without the statins. I suppose I'm lucky in the fact that it was discovered while I was young. My grandad died when he was 43 so it puts thing into perspective.

BlueSniffer said:
I suppose I'm lucky in the fact that it was discovered while I was young. My grandad died when he was 43 so it puts thing into perspective.

Definitely,and your sensible approach is what is keeping you in the best nick possible and giving you every chance of a long healthy life.

Best of luck mate.

urmston said:
I had a 50 plus check up a couple of months ago - basically blood pressure, weight and cholesterol.

I was told I was as fit as a healthy 25 yr old when it came to blood pressure and weight.

Then I rang up a week later to get my cholesterol level. It was 8.1.

I was told to eat more fruit and veg, cut down on saturated fat, and they'd test me in another year.

No tablets or anything, the doctor doesn't want to see me.

So I assume I'm not going to drop dead any time soon.

Mate Id be getting a 2nd opinion on that, 8.1 is way high, and altering your diet may not change it as some people are predisposed to a high chol level, seeing you in a year seems crazy and a bit dangerous to me (your arteries could be clogged by then) :)
I was 6.5 and I was put on 20 mg statins a day 10 years ago, still take one every day (I eat a healthy diet but In predisposed to a high Chol)

Don't worry too much, mate. Statins should control it if you can't get it down naturally.

They make your bollocks drop off but hey, that's a small price to pay.

P.S. Millions take them with no serious side effects.

The Flash said:
Rascal said:
Dont die Flash, you are too young and amusing to die
No intention of doing so sir! *salutes*

Either that, or I'm a Mars Bar away from myocardial infarction.

Good work Flash

I will ask Gaykev to retrieve 1 mars bar from your person

Seems like in England you only talk of your RATIO of TOTAL Cholesterol to HDL, whereas in America they are ALL done separately, even though it obviously equates to a ratio if you do the maths, and a TOTAL cholesterol number.

Anyway, you want the LDL (Low Density Lipoprotein) to be LOW and the HDL (High Density Lipoprotein) to be HIGH, and the TOTAL to be LOW. The lower the LDL and TOTAL, and higher the HDL, the better.

So,

TOTAL should be in the 125-200 range (lower is better)
HDL should be at or ABOVE the 40 level (higher is better)
LDL should be at or BELOW the 130 level (lower is better)
RATIO should be at or BELOW the 5.0 level (lower is better)

Total of 200, divided by HDL of 40, would equal 5.0

HOWEVER, if your total is 400 and your HDL is 80, your ratio is STILL 5.0, because your GOOD (HDL) is very high, but your TOTAL is in the stratosphere. That is why I'm confused by the UK ONLY using a ratio (?)

Anyway, of equal importance is your TRIGLYCERIDE LEVELS.

If you have HIGH (greater than 150) triglyceride levels in conjunction with a high ratio (or any combination of low HDL/high Total), you have INCREASED risk factors. Throw in high or borderline Blood Pressure (higher than 140/90) and your risk factors are piling up.

Adding a sedentary lifestyle (no daily, or regular, exercise regime and poor dietary choices) to the above concoction and your risk factors are starting to reach levels that should start alarm bells ringing and red warning lights going off in your head.

Sorry for all the facts and figures, but I've been going through this myself recently, and have had to lower my own bad numbers (so far, 20-25% in the last 6 months, with more needed to get where I need to go!). I recently started taking a statin (atorvastatin, also known as Lipitor) to assist, because I'm a meat and taters lover, but I think that as I approach 50, I'm going to have to make some slightly more "radical" steps like exercising more and eating healthier so I can be drug-free. Hate to have to take a pill (or two, or three...after all, this is America, where we have a pill, and a $$$$$ bill, for everything!) for something I SHOULD be able to control with a little SELF-CONTROL!

Aging is a woman, especially for people who used to be athletic and fit as a fiddle!!

Best of luck to all.

I got checked about two months ago and mine is/was 6.8. I've been on my first ever diet including cholesterol lowering drinks and spreads and stopped smoking, I've also stopped drinking during the week but I'd pretty much cut that out anyway. They're still on at me about binge drinking because I told them everytime I go to the match I have around 8 pints, I've cut out my H/T pint but I'm reluctant to stop drinking at the match as its the only time I get out with my mates nowadays. I've not had any cheese for for 7 weeks which is one of favourite foods. I've always ate quite healthily and have never been overweight so it did come as a shock.

My next test is on the 28th March but this time I'm gunna fast for 12 hours beforehand which I didn't last time as I didn't know you had to

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.