Chris Powell Sacked At Charlton

It's clear there is some form of discrimination in football given the absence of black managers but high proportion of black players. To simply say 'maybe they aren't good enough' is absolute crap, obviously they aren't good enough if no one is willing to give them a chance. If a world class black player retired now and so did a world class white player, I can pretty much guarantee the white player will be offered a job as a manager at a higher ranking team.

Crouchinho said:
If you're good enough you will make it, that goes for all black and white footballers and managers. Don't agree with all this quota bollocks either.

Sol Campbell is having his tantrums either way no doubt playing the race card
The problem with that logic is that "managing" is not a quanitfiable skill is it? Unless someone gives you a job, you have no way of knowing or showing how good a manager you are. All manner of incredibly unsuitable players have been given good management jobs just on the basis of their playing ability or being mates with the right people. I don't think anyone is intentionally discriminating against black people, but it's pretty clear that an awful lot of chairman don't put nearly enough thought into their appointments and maybe forcing them to at least see a variety of candidates, regardless of race, would do them a world of good.

You can't tell me that anyone could possibly of interviewed numerous candidates and ended up with the belief that someone like Paul Merson, Tony Adams or (ironically) Paul Ince would be the most suitable candidates? It reaks of jobs for the boys and untill that mentality changes, then anyone of any minority will probably not get a fair chance. Are there any English managers out there who weren't former professional players? I can't think of any

Matty said:
bayern blade said:
kenzie115 said:
Why?

How many of the 92 managers have big noses?

How many prefer scrambled eggs to poached?

None of the above matter, what matters is how good are they at managing their club.

MotD are apparently looking at ensuring there's always one black pundit on the sofa for each show. It's ridiculous. You shouldn't be given/denied a job because of the colour of your skin, it's completely irrelevant. All that should matter is how capable you are.

Exactly, f##k political correctness, if a manager is good enough he'll get the job. We don't "need" black managers because they are black, anymore than a game show should have an asian, a black, someone disabled and a lesbian on the panel simply because of what they are. All that should matter is talent, if that offends minorities so be it, I wouldn't give a toss what colour or nationality my trainer/manager is as long as he's getting the job done.

The inference is that there are blak managers and coaches that are good enough, but are being denied their opportunities due to the colour of their skin. Personally I think that's bollocks, but there you go, when you have people with huge chips on their shoulder like Sol Campbell, and John Barnes, about this kind of thing then it's always going to be put forward as a "valid point" when in reality it is likely nothing of the sort.

Why do you say sol campbell has a chip on his shoulder?
Do you mean he is outspoken or opinionated?
what does chip on shoulder mean matty?

It's a results game and Powell wasn't earning them at Charlton. For me, they've never replaced the influence of Alan Curbishley and will need to do well to stay up now. They're a nothing club in many ways. Nothing about them at all.

Hearing this news today made me feel physically sick.

Mind bogglingly racist from the Charlton board.

I mean , the fact that they are rock bottom and he was taking them down shouldn't really come into it .

stavros said:
Hearing this news today made me feel physically sick.

Mind bogglingly racist from the Charlton board.

I mean , the fact that they are rock bottom and he was taking them down shouldn't really come into it .

No one is claiming he was sacked because of his skin colour, merely just using it as a chance to highlight the absence of black managers in football.

Como Cat said:
WNRH said:
Como Cat said:
I believe around 25% of players in the UK are black, for there to be only one black manager doesn't feel right.

That doesn't make any sense at all, you are talking about two completely different things.

As virtually all managers are ex-professional players would you not expect there to be some sort of correlation between the proportion of players and proportion of managers that are non-white? It could be that, as JM's Way says, we have a lot of non-white foreigners playing in England who have absolutely no interest in coaching/managing here. I have no idea what the reason is but, in my opinion, it doesn't feel right that there are so few non-white managers.

You mentioned that 25% of players are black but then go on to say how you can't believe there is only one manager. How are those 25% of players supposed to manage when they are playing?

The number of black players has risen and will keep on rising and the numbers of black managers will reflect that. The reason why there is only one black manager is because of stats not racism. The number of ex black professionals will be very small compared to the numbers of ex white professionals, the pool is much larger. If in 20 years time and there is still one black manager then this topic will finally have some credence. I don't think it is going to get any better any time soon as to be a manager nowadays you have to really want to do it as oppose to having to do it to stay in the game and stay on the money you have earned.

Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Emile Heskey, Jermaine Defoe, Wes Brown, Joleon Lescott are 6 of the highest profiled black England players who will retire in the next 5 years, can you see any of them in management? I can't and not because of their colour, there's 5 players removed from a very small pool already.

David James, Sol Campbell, Darius Vassell, Ledley King, Kieron Dyer, Trevor Sinclair are black players of the previous generation, how many managers are there? That's another 6 players removed from a very small pool.

And why are none of those players potential managers? Sol Campbell is an archetypal manager figure, big strong central defender, captain, leader, massively outspoken. The only reason he isn't considered an obvious managerial candidate is the area he is outspoken is racism, if it were just about any other subject then he'd be expected to be a manager. John Terry is expected to be a manager, despite being an odious prick without two brain cells banging around in his head, but apparently it's more acceptable to be a racist, than speak out against racism?

Also, why not David James? Why not Heskey, Sinclair, Wes Brown, Lescott? What has made you write these people off as managers?

blue underpants said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
blue underpants said:
Not had a good season and going out at the quarter final stage to Sheff Utd has done for him
Houghton the only black manager left at 92 league clubs now, that's a bit disturbing the ratio should be much higher
How many black people are actively trying to become managers only then can a ratio be judged
Not sure but Mike Wedderburn on SSN not happy about it and just made the same comment

He got sacked because Charlton are going nowhere at the moment. Colour doesn't even come into it.
FFS.

BigOscar said:
And why are none of those players potential managers? Sol Campbell is an archetypal manager figure, big strong central defender, captain, leader, massively outspoken. The only reason he isn't considered an obvious managerial candidate is the area he is outspoken is racism, if it were just about any other subject then he'd be expected to be a manager. John Terry is expected to be a manager, despite being an odious prick without two brain cells banging around in his head, but apparently it's more acceptable to be a racist, than speak out against racism?

Also, why not David James? Why not Heskey, Sinclair, Wes Brown, Lescott? What has made you write these people off as managers?

The same reason why I don't think Beckham, Owen, Lampard and Rooney will be managers, because they have other interests outside of football or they just don't come across as a manager.

What exactly has Sol Campbell done to be a manager? He's been retired 3 years and has he got his badges? Has he done any work experience? So to say the only reason he isn't considered an obvious managerial candidate is because of his ridiculous outspoken racism views is quite frankly laughable.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.