Christmas 2019

What's the point of all this Christmas and Easter stuff if you take away the Christianity? There is no proof of anything. 99% of people don't even know why they celebrate it.
Disclaimer: I'm sure other people might have said similar but i've only seen your post and haven't read the thread.

Christmas is based on the Germanic pagan celebration of Yule. They feasted for 12 days after the 25th of December for the Winter Solstice (a date since moved by the Gregorian Calendar), decorated a tree (as the evergreen was the only tree that was still green during winter), Odin ( a tall man with a big beard who wore green, also known as the AllFather) rode a chariot on the 24th December, pulled by his eight legged horse Sleipnir, children were encouraged to leave hay in their stockings to feed Sleipnir, and as a reward Odin would leave gifts by the bed.

The Yule log was a log that was carved with runes and burned to bring good fortune (but only if burned all the way through)

Kisses under the mistletoe were a result of Baldr being killed by a spear made of mistletoe (which poisoned him, thanks Loki...) and Freyja/Frigg would bless people who stood under mistletoe with a "kiss" as a way of paying tribute to people honouring his memory. Holly and the Ivy isn't about Jesus, Deck the Halls isn't about Jesus, and Jesus himself wasn't even born on 25th.

Wassailing (anglo-saxon for "good health!", the Norse version would be "Skol!") was a tradition during Yule where people would go house to house with a bowl of cider punch or similar and got pissed. It was a way to make the Northern Europeans accept the story of Jesus by combining the two religions and appropriating it. Christians themselves hated the fact the festival was associated with Jesus. In fact the only thing "Christian" about Christmas is the Nativity Story.

Easter is based on the Anglo-Saxon festival of Eostre, the Goddess of rebirth. Her spirit animal was a hare and the egg represented rebirth. The Pagans called the season of Spring "Lent", the Old English word for Spring, and was celebrated in the last week of the month of April, or Eostremonath. Note; Germanic/Norse pagans did not believe in "Spring/Autumn" there was only Summer and Winter, which is why "Midwinter" is December 21st, not in the middle of January.

TL;DR, they're millennia old, Northern European traditions that we still celebrate even today.

Disclaimer: I'm sure other people might have said similar but i've only seen your post and haven't read the thread.

Christmas is based on the Germanic pagan celebration of Yule. They feasted for 12 days after the 25th of December for the Winter Solstice (a date since moved by the Gregorian Calendar), decorated a tree (as the evergreen was the only tree that was still green during winter), Odin ( a tall man with a big beard who wore green, also known as the AllFather) rode a chariot on the 24th December, pulled by his eight legged horse Sleipnir, children were encouraged to leave hay in their stockings to feed Sleipnir, and as a reward Odin would leave gifts by the bed.

The Yule log was a log that was carved with runes and burned to bring good fortune (but only if burned all the way through)

Kisses under the mistletoe were a result of Baldr being killed by a spear made of mistletoe (which poisoned him, thanks Loki...) and Freyja/Frigg would bless people who stood under mistletoe with a "kiss" as a way of paying tribute to people honouring his memory. Holly and the Ivy isn't about Jesus, Deck the Halls isn't about Jesus, and Jesus himself wasn't even born on 25th.

Wassailing (anglo-saxon for "good health!", the Norse version would be "Skol!") was a tradition during Yule where people would go house to house with a bowl of cider punch or similar and got pissed. It was a way to make the Northern Europeans accept the story of Jesus by combining the two religions and appropriating it. Christians themselves hated the fact the festival was associated with Jesus. In fact the only thing "Christian" about Christmas is the Nativity Story.

Easter is based on the Anglo-Saxon festival of Eostre, the Goddess of rebirth. Her spirit animal was a hare and the egg represented rebirth. The Pagans called the season of Spring "Lent", the Old English word for Spring, and was celebrated in the last week of the month of April, or Eostremonath. Note; Germanic/Norse pagans did not believe in "Spring/Autumn" there was only Summer and Winter, which is why "Midwinter" is December 21st, not in the middle of January.

TL;DR, they're millennia old, Northern European traditions that we still celebrate even today.

Me and the missus go wassailing every year.

Me and the missus go wassailing every year.
tenor.gif

NB: Why do we clink glasses?
You did so to ensure that some of your drink went into each others glasses.
If they then didn't drink, the other person had obviously attempted to poison you.

I'll stop now...

Why did they decorate a tree?

Why did they decorate a tree?
To encourage positive spirits to return the Sun.

Usually with holly leaves, feathers and such. Decorating with candles came much much much later.

Haha, was about to tag you on that line.

Well, they have cause me lots of grief with that shit.
Do you not want the Sun to return?

Get that tree up mister! Don't make the spirits (landvaettir) angry!

They like shiny things.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.