Cirrhosis of the liver

shilly8903

My father in law who is a great man but a functional alcoholic, well up until this point anyway. He’s aged 20 years in a couple months He yellow he’s lost loads of weight as he can’t eat, he throws up at night times. We managed to get him to have some tests but I believe there’s that too much fluid build up, so they can’t see much! He’s only been to doctors, we’re going to try get him go to a&e tomorrow but I feel he has already given up. I know how addiction works so I know why he can’t see any future for himself but we all feel pretty useless, the only info we have is off the internet! Ive witnessed many people get clean/sober I just wish he too had the drive to do it for his family. Has anyone any help or experience good or bad! It’s not looking likely to end well but and I just want to know what we’re facing or if there’s anything more we can do that might help.

My father in law who is a great man but a functional alcoholic, well up until this point anyway. He’s aged 20 years in a couple months He yellow he’s lost loads of weight as he can’t eat, he throws up at night times. We managed to get him to have some tests but I believe there’s that too much fluid build up, so they can’t see much! He’s only been to doctors, we’re going to try get him go to a&e tomorrow but I feel he has already given up. I know how addiction works so I know why he can’t see any future for himself but we all feel pretty useless, the only info we have is off the internet! Ive witnessed many people get clean/sober I just wish he too had the drive to do it for his family. Has anyone any help or experience good or bad! It’s not looking likely to end well but and I just want to know what we’re facing or if there’s anything more we can do that might help.
A&E now

We’re trying he’s sent a message tonight after my wife’s texting him to let us take him if he’s unwell, but it’s like he’s given up, are we on a short time frame now?? The doctor hasn’t rushed him there, but none of us have been in the doctors room with him. I’m trying to tell them to make him without imposing my views on them to much.

We’re trying he’s sent a message tonight after my wife’s texting him to let us take him if he’s unwell, but it’s like he’s given up, are we on a short time frame now?? The doctor hasn’t rushed him there, but none of us have been in the doctors room with him. I’m trying to tell them to make him without imposing my views on them to much.
Feel for you mate ,had a similar problem though not alcohol related with my dad . hopefully he will listen Good luck .

Mate I have been through this with the wife's father. If he's is drastically losing weight and not eating at all then the window of opportunity is small however it is totally reliant on him accepting the help. Feel for you it's a terrible place to be , wishing you all the best

The experience that I have with this is that he will not listen (due to no fault of his own).
I hope for you that he does.
I agree but as you know we have to try. I’ve seen people go through detox and be pretty normal again after a few weeks it’s then staying sober, I just feel he needs to try that at least once, but I completely get where your coming alcohol completely fogs the mind at this point. The chances are very slim. Addiction is the devil mate.

Mate I have been through this with the wife's father. If he's is drastically losing weight and not eating at all then the window of opportunity is small however it is totally reliant on him accepting the help. Feel for you it's a terrible place to be , wishing you all the best
Thank you for the reply do you have any idea of where it’s goes from here I’m guessing, hospital test, detox, staying sober then is there a chance at a normal life or is this stage usually gone past this point! Pretty sure it’s advanced stage of liver disease.

Doesn’t sound very good that I’m sorry to say. He must stop drinking immediately and go to hospital but it’s unlikely he will listen.

My dad was an alcoholic and it killed him sadly. They have to want to stop and it doesn’t matter how much you want to help, if they won’t accept it then there is very little you can do.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.