Citizens Inheritance - Good idea?

If the 20 somethings I know or observe were given a £10k handout, the last thing they would do is invest it or use it in advancement of their careers or to help get on the housing ladder. The tattoo shops would do very nicely out of it, all the girls in the gym would have new tits and yet more fake hair, there would be a tsunami of cocaine sniffing in every bar in town, 'Marbs' or wherever the fuck they go on holiday would be rammed, and there would be high end cars on eye watering finance deals everywhere. Saving up, living sensibly and concentrating on spending their money in the right places is the last thing they do, let alone with freebies

Build affordable, quality housing, run by, and with rents set, by local government. Don't allow people to buy them. Market pressure will bring down extortionate rents in the private sector and reduce the over inflated house prices in this country. People can then realistically aspire to saving for a deposit on their own home.

It's as simple as that but nobody wants to do it because too many rich people will be a bit less rich and MPs like the dividends they get from all the house builders.

is the correct answer, if you add in long term leases.

If the 20 somethings I know or observe were given a £10k handout, the last thing they would do is invest it or use it in advancement of their careers or to help get on the housing ladder. The tattoo shops would do very nicely out of it, all the girls in the gym would have new tits and yet more fake hair, there would be a tsunami of cocaine sniffing in every bar in town, 'Marbs' or wherever the fuck they go on holiday would be rammed, and there would be high end cars on eye watering finance deals everywhere. Saving up, living sensibly and concentrating on spending their money in the right places is the last thing they do, let alone with freebies

It would be rule that the money could only be used on a house surely. It is hard to save up when rent is covering over half your salary in some jobs. Working none stop and not enjoying anything in life just leads to depression and suicide.

Cash handouts will do nothing to increase mobility onto and upwards the housing ladder. In fact, they're likely to just increase house prices further at the lower end of the market. The planning system needs a complete rewrite. Land prices are hideously high. The only viable solution to land-banking is to radically increase the supply. It's probably better to scrap domestic planning permission altogether than carry on with the status quo, which is completely unsustainable. Unfortunately, we have a large elderly population that have stupidly invested everything they have into their homes on the premise that no party will do anything to harm house prices. A house should never be an investment. A house is where you live and should be worth little more than the value of the bricks and mortar. High house prices suck money out of the economy and do nothing to create jobs.

I think they are forgetting one thing...

People of the previous generations, like my parents, saved like buggery to get a deposit on their first house. Nearly everyone did this. Nowadays most youth spend it on shit trousers that show off their arse cracks and drugs.

Flippancy aside, promoting a saving economy rather than just handing out 10k for a deposit, will help them out in the long run. Or be more like the rest of the world, rent. If any of our governments actually sorted out the landlord/ rental situation then renting would be a viable solution. A long term rental is usually suitable for both parties. The trouble is when a landlord keeps jacking the price up, can kick people out at a moments notice, can provide squalid living conditions without fear of penalty renting is not viable.

Dead against a 10k handout. It will provide the lazy with another excuse not to do fuck all safe in the knowledge that a deposit is ready and waiting for them.

the economic conditions helped them to do so an awful lot though - in previous times house prices went up but wages went up faster - a lot of companies provided non contrib pension funds - people weren't expected to commute 50 miles each way to get to work coz they couldn't get a house nearby - if they did rail fares weren't the equivalent of an extra mortgage and there was just less shit to buy so people saved - maybe had there been shit kicks and games in the shops they would have spent too?

Also as I posted elsewhere the problem with long term rent is you pay it forever. I have paid my mortgage off so from now on its mine at no cost save for the usual bills. If I rent and I get to old age with an inadequate pension/low income the state supports me ( and the landlord by default ) with housing benefits so if the housing thing isn't sorted thats another issue waiting to blow up in politicians faces. However as they can't sort themselves over Brexit and thats very much a short term issue I don't hold out much hope for the long term problem that is housing.

Note sure a £10k inheritance is right or not - you can see it being upped or just stuck at that figure to become less and less effective anyway. However I have to say even as a Labour supporter I am glad to see someone has opened the debate on generational inequality maybe now it will get more consideration

It would be rule that the money could only be used on a house surely. It is hard to save up when rent is covering over half your salary in some jobs. Working none stop and not enjoying anything in life just leads to depression and suicide.

it is suggested that were it to come in there would be conditions on its use ......... no coke and hookers I am afraid ha ha

Force the Banks to finance the building of affordable rented accommodation, since it's their fault the world is in a feckin mess

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.