City in New York

Hows football doing in the States at the moment? I mean is it taking off with Beckham or is still isolated to the immigrant communities?

I see the USA has qualified again for the world Cup. They need to sort the Concacaf qualifying group out....maybe merge it with South America.

Marvin said:
Hows football doing in the States at the moment? I mean is it taking off with Beckham or is still isolated to the immigrant communities?

I see the USA has qualified again for the world Cup. They need to sort the Concacaf qualifying group out....maybe merge it with South America.

Never is a long time but football will never be big in the USA. With the internet and great coverage on the cable channels thats fine with me!! I can get my fill of football-especially my beloved City and the Premiership!!

Frank the Yank said:
Marvin said:

Never is a long time but football will never be big in the USA. With the internet and great coverage on the cable channels thats fine with me!! I can get my fill of football-especially my beloved City and the Premiership!!
I thought it was the most widely played game in America. if that's the case it has fertile ground in which to grow. Sooner or later the States will produce a footballing superstar - when that happens maybe the game will make inroads into the media

Marvin said:

Still isolated to mostly immigrants and young wasp children up to the age of about 12. On the bright side I've nearly learned Spanish playing pickup soccer.

Marvin said:
Frank the Yank said:
I thought it was the most widely played game in America. if that's the case it has fertile ground in which to grow. Sooner or later the States will produce a footballing superstar - when that happens maybe the game will make inroads into the media

Its been the most played in the USA for a while now. Its a much cheaper alternative to American football and a much safer option as well for schools. The problem is that our best athletes do not tend to play the sport. thats why we wont be a world power. I think the fact that our region, CONCACAF, is the easiest from which to qualify actually HURTS us in the long run....

Frank the Yank said:
Marvin said:

Its been the most played in the USA for a while now. Its a much cheaper alternative to American football and a much safer option as well for schools. The problem is that our best athletes do not tend to play the sport. thats why we wont be a world power. I think the fact that our region, CONCACAF, is the easiest from which to qualify actually HURTS us in the long run....
So a kid who is really good at football at say 10-12 gets siphoned off towards another sport because that's where the money is?

When I was a kid. The kids who were good at football were also the same ones who were good at Rugby, Atheltics, Cricket etc. Sure it's the same the world over, and the talented kids will opt for the highest profile sports and those with the highest monetary rewards (usually the same)

Marvin said:

I know it's been trendy to dump on CONCACAF in years past when they've sent some teams to the World Cup who didn't really belong, but actually the region is looking stronger and stronger.

It used to be just a one-team confederation, with Mexico the only legitimate soccer power. The the US arrived, and it was a two-horse race. Now we're seeing the ascension of Honduras, who just booked their trip to the WC finals. If you haven't seen the Hondurans play, you just might be shocked in South Africa next summer. They have some quality in the side, with six players in either the Premier League (Wilson Palacios, Hendry Thomas, and Maynor Figueroa) or Serie A (David Suazo, Julio César de León, Edgar Álvarez), plus two very solid strikers in Carlos Costly and Carlos Pavón.

Costa Rica -- the fourth-place finisher in CONCACAF -- are no pushover as well.

You can gauge the rise in CONCACAF quality by the fact Canada and Jamaica didn't even make the final qualifying stage this time, while Trinidad & Tobago, who you undoubtedly remember from Germany 2006, finished dead last in the final qualifying group.

Marvin said:
So a kid who is really good at football at say 10-12 gets siphoned off towards another sport because that's where the money is?

When I was a kid. The kids who were good at football were also the same ones who were good at Rugby, Atheltics, Cricket etc. Sure it's the same the world over, and the talented kids will opt for the highest profile sports and those with the highest monetary rewards (usually the same)

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=420353&root=us&cc=5901

When athletes like Chad Johnson start playing footy instead of throwball/basketball/baseball, then you'll see the US will make the jump from that-plucky-technically-sound-side-who-squeak-through-to-the-World-Cup-quarters-every-so-often to a legit footballing power.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.