City’s New Kits

Yep, hated it. The Kappa design wasn’t the issue, it was the shade of blue. Our colour is pale/light blue (Sky Blue)
I loved the actual colour but hated it because it wasn't our colour.

Umm...I'm not sure about that. I could be wrong, but way back in the day, before we played on sky blue I believe our original colours were maroon shirts with narrow blue stripes.

I'm not quite that old but I always remember our colours being sky blue with white shorts and maroon trim (socks, maybe collar etc.) - I'm going back to late 60's, early 70's. Away was the black and red stripes, black shorts and socks IIRC, seemed to be the same for years. I don't remember navy blue ever being used back then. That said I prefer it to maroon, not a football thing, I've just never liked maroon very much.
we Have never wore maroon with narrow blue stripes! How long have you supported us? Check our full history below

www.historicalkits.co.uk/Manchester_City/Manchester_City

Still got that shirt. Absolute belter.
Got it a few weeks ago on Ebay. In fantastic nick as well. Always wanted to get hold of one. I'd love to see the club resurrect it one day. Knocks spots off the monstrosities we've been getting these last few years. The one we used yesterday looks okay, to be fair.

we Have never wore maroon with narrow blue stripes! How long have you supported us? Check our full history below

www.historicalkits.co.uk/Manchester_City/Manchester_City
Those sites are not always 100% correct, but I did say I wasn't sure. It was a late uncle who told me we used to play in a maroon/pale blue pinstripe kit. The one I'm thinking of is probably the 1956 FAC final.

Could have been a change strip as we played Birmingham who also play in blue but I think they wore white in that match, unless both teams changed. But we definitely played in maroon with a thin pinstripe in that match at least. Some say the pinstripe appeared white but it was (or was supposed to be I believe) a very pale blue. I did see an actual shirt worn by one of the players from the period (not sure if it was that actual match), I remember the pinstripe actually looked light grey so it's anybody's guess.

Reason I was unsure is because I didn't think we had change strips in those days so I assumed that was the standard kit at the time.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.