City launch legal action against the Premier League | City win APT case (pg901)

Zglinski is clearly a bitter **** and should never be referenced on here again.
He's in his mid-30's and has spent all his career in academia, as a student, research fellow or a lecturer. Whereas Leaf is a practicing lawyer in Sports Law.

I think someone said on here a while back that an academic could have a very different standpoint on an issue compared to a "real" lawyer.

Not even sure if the fourth one is a lawyer. I’d say he’s almost certainly not a practising one. I’m always wary of academics talking about the implications of determinations because they don’t have a feel for things like those at the coal face do. Only a lived experience can give you that instinct.
Just posted on this. He's purely an academic.

And that is exactly what is wrong with the structure of the PL. The PL should be proposing rules that are for the benefit of the league as a whole, not just any old rule stupid rule that 14 myopic clubs will vote for.

You can be sure Masters is talking to the legal people from Liverpool, Arsenal and United to decide what to do next. The ****.

I suspect they will be explaining that his suicide appears to be his next best move. All three clubs seem very keen on welfare issues .

He's in his mid-30's and has spent all his career in academia, as a student, research fellow or a lecturer. Whereas Leaf is a practicing lawyer in Sports Law.

I think someone said on here a while back that an academic could have a very different standpoint on an issue compared to a "real" lawyer.
We've all worked with them, all the certificates from university and zero experience - when things in real life don't go as per the text book - they're fucked.

In fairness, either City didn’t challenge the evidence effectively, thought it futile to challenge or the Tribunal rejected City’s arguments on the reality of RPTs. If City had made material submissions on the point, I suspect we’d have seen them in the judgment so, most likely, we tactically decided to fight other battles especially as it sounds like there were no documents disclosed on the topic before 2021.

In reality, it seems to me that it couldn’t be said to be that hard to challenge a designation of a RPT given that UEFA did exactly that in 2014 (assuming the press was true that it concluded both Etihad and Etisalat were actually RPTs "In 2014 Uefa’s consultants, reported to be PwC, are understood to have advised the CFCB that Aabar and Etisalat were “related parties” to City because Mansour was the chairman of the investment funds which owned them. After further research Uefa was also advised that Etihad should be considered a related sponsor because of relationships of Mansour’s with members of the extended ruling family involved in the airline." https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...accounting-sponsorships-uefa-champions-league) - although it didn’t bother in 2020.

City couldn’t make that submission however without bringing focus to UEFAs conclusion that City’s accounts were wrong on that point.
I agree the tribunal probably thought they had bigger fish to fry, but City plainly did challenge the explanation of why the new rules on APTs were introduced. What surprised me was that these apparent concerns the PL and the clubs had about why the previous RPT rules were ineffective was given so little scrutiny. The tribunal seems to have ignored the possibility that the evidence from the redshirts and others was self serving, and they seem to have ignored the possibility that concrete examples of the RPT system being abused appear to have been non existent. As you say, there may have been reasons on both sides not to rely too much on UEFAs failure to land the RPT allegations re Etihad but it has been known for a tribunal to be all the more interested in evidence that both sides appear not to want to dwell on.

Since we are looking at three exceptionally experienced lawyers I can’t see how they could have considered the evidence the PL was relying on without being at least aware of the possibility that City’s competitors were giving evidence against City for reasons of self interest. Nor is it obvious to me why such evidence as the PL relied on was subjected to so little critical analysis. The only conclusion that makes sense to my mind is that they thought it just didn’t matter.

Personally I can only find one piece of objective evidence that might be thought to justify the move from an ex post to an ex ante system, namely the length of time the 115 charges have taken to come to trial, and even that wasn’t subjected to any sort of analysis, eg that the PL plainly did nothing while the UEFA case was ongoing.

However in the final analysis I don’t think they were interested in second guessing why the PL chose to move to a different system. They were plainly satisfied that it wasn’t simply a change made for capricious or bad faith reasons - I just don’t think they needed that much persuading on that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.