City Myths

If a fairweather fan looked at the fixtures pre season and picked just one away game for a day out, good chance he’d have picked York.

Ground very few had been to.
Saturday afternoon KO.
Easy short train ride.
City famous for being a good piss up.
Exactly this.
The acid test for me was Wycombe away. Midweek. Absolutely woman of a trip. Pissing it down in rain. We lost 1-0. You guessed it: I was there! :-)

sadly not quite true

our first major trophy was 1904 (FA Cup)

Liverpool 1901 (league)
Spurs 1901 (FA Cup)
Man Ure 1908 (league)
Arsenal 1930 (FA Cup)
Chelsea 1955 (league)

the facts liverpool fans hate the most are
1)we won the the fa cup 61 years before they won it
2)we won a european trophy three years before they did
3)we won the league cup eleven years before they did.

facts united fans hate the most are
1)we won a trophy first
2)we won the league cup 22 years before they did
3)they have only been the most successful team in the league (most league titles) for 19 out of the total of 144 years and only reached that position for the first time in 1967
4)they have never been top of the all time league table and only cracked the top 10 in the mid 1970's and only rose above us in the mid 1980's
5)they only have 3 managers in their history who have won the league (most of their fans can only name 2). For reference liverpool have 9,arsenal have 7, we have 5, chelsea have 4 and spurs 2.
6)Jose mourinho, who most united fans call a failure, is their 4th most successful manager.

Can I just add;

I'm sure they only overtook us for total aggregate crowds until the mid to late seventies?

Exactly this.
The acid test for me was Wycombe away. Midweek. Absolutely woman of a trip. Pissing it down in rain. We lost 1-0. You guessed it: I was there! :-)
Try Torquay away league Cup first leg. Tuesday night 1983 0-0, took forever to get there.

That was the most rammed the kippax was at least 10000 more in Swales and Halford made a killing that day.
The most dangerous game I have ever attended. Nothing like it before or since. Not even close. How nobody died is a miracle. I was without air for over a minute when the first goal went in. When I got up the people that I had been standing with were about 20 metres away from each other. The Kippax was exciting but terrifying that day.

The most dangerous game I have ever attended. Nothing like it before or since. Not even close. How nobody died is a miracle. I was without air for over a minute when the first goal went in. When I got up the people that I had been standing with were about 20 metres away from each other. The Kippax was exciting but terrifying that day.

And my old mates said I was mad for wanting to stay in my seat the Main Stand rather than going in the Kippax that day...

Lightweights. The only thing that got crushed in H block that day was my meat and potato pie.

Exactly this.

Yeah, pretty sure they did the double over us that year.

The 0-0 in the first leg of the League Cup a couple of years earlier was even more exciting.

I was reading about historical racism in English football, on some shitty web site, and was gobsmacked that our penchant for inflatable Bananas was referenced as an extreme example. That was a particularly nasty/false reinterpretation of nothing but harmless fun, tbh not seen it spreading, but will not be surprised if the City haters try to meme into a myth....There's something about football that makes certain people lose their frickin minds...

If a fairweather fan looked at the fixtures pre season and picked just one away game for a day out, good chance he’d have picked York.

Ground very few had been to.
Saturday afternoon KO.
Easy short train ride.
City famous for being a good piss up.
Week before Christmas too

This is the only time I was scared in the kippax. Went over as one of the goals was scored and sure I would have been injured had a big older fella behind me not dragged me up! 47000 my arse.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.