City Ownership

Damocles

Administrator
Something jumped out at me immediately last night, and I must admit that I was confused by it.

Mancini, on the pitch, said "I would like to give credit to the Royal Family of Abu Dhabi; Sheikh Mansour, Sheikh Mohammed and Khaldoon Al-Mubarak..."

Now, Man City have always maintained that they are 100% owned by Sheikh Mansour, and NOT through ADIA or any other subsidiary of the Abu Dhabi Royal Family. This is important for several reasons; firstly, it would mean that we are essentially owned by the government of another country and secondly, it would mean that we are directly funded by "oil money".
I'll come to the oil money thing later, but I read something on the OS that I've quoted here:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/2011/May/Roberto-Mancini-says-this-was-for-the-fans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/20 ... r-the-fans</a>

"All the credit for what we have achieved this season has to go to the players," said Roberto, "who worked so hard for us to win what we did. But I also want to give credit to the Royal Family of Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Mansour and our chairman, Khaldoon al Mubarak. But what this team has done is dedicated to our fans, who have suffered for so long but can now start to dream about a better future."

That isn't what he said. He thanked Sheikh Mohammed as well as part of the ownership team.

Sheikh Mohammed is the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Commander of their military. A few weeks ago, he was caught building his own mercenary army using companies charged with human rights abuses. Now, he has been called "the defacto ruler of Abu Dhabi and the UAE", and he's almost certainly the next President. The human rights abuses that occur there (from human trafficking, to confiscating passports, to creating a slave class, to 'sketchy' employment conditions, disallowing unions, sexual abuse of female workers, etc, etc) fall directly at his door. Under pressure from Western leaders about the Human Trafficking, he made a 55m donation to the UN to help fight the issue. That's about £10m, or Tevez's wages last year.

I was never worried about this type of thing when Sheikh Mansour was seen as the 100% owner of City. Although his wealth did come from oil originally, he's made billions in smart business moves. He was a personal owner using his personal wealth, and whilst he certainly does have power in Abu Dhabi, he isn't the guy in charge so these abuses cannot be laid at his door.

However, if we are owned by more than Sheikh Mansour, and he is a figurehead for our ownership as was suggested earlier, who exactly owns ADUG? Is Sheikh Mansour the 100% owner or are there other investors? Why does it say on the OS that Mansour 100% owns the club, when we have our manager thanking a completely different guy as part of our "owners"? Why was this edited out of the comment on the OS?

I would quite like to know if we are owned by a human rights abuser again or not.

I noticed he said that, I obviously didnt know anything about the other bloke he mentioned.

But I definatley thought it was odd when e mentioned the Royal Family and Sheikh Mohammed?

it never bothered me when thaksin owned us..no but serious do you remember the friendly in abu dhabi, there were blues that went that actually thought everything was rosy in the kingdom with no poverty etc.. anyway, i was always unsure if it was his own personnal wealth that bought us, we are all aware that he is a figurehead.. right now sorry but i just dont care..the thing is maybe mancini was just thanking them for their support but if they do all own us if mancini knows it so do the powers that be.it cant be that much of a secret

Fuck me Damo fleet street has just gone into overdrive....

If I were you, I'd be really careful in implying that the al Nahyans engage in any human rights abuses. There is no basis to this whatsoever, just a report that they are assembling a personal army. The US military is guilty of severe human rights abuses and has no doubt played a significant role in training/outfitting the UAE's armed forces and the armed forces of many countries.

We are owned de facto by the royal family of Abu Dhabi. The pool of wealth we draw from mostly comes from oil and natural gas wealth.

The UAE is generally considered a shining example of progressive thought in relation to the other states in the region, and that is satisfactory to me. It's telling that there are few if any protests against the rule of the al Nahyan family. They are actually good rulers.

Could it just be a slip of the tongue in that maybe mancini has never just met Mansour, he has only met the whole family at the royal palace other than khaldoon who he obviously has a working relationship with.

Blue Haze said:
If I were you, I'd be really careful in implying that the al Nahyans engage in any human rights abuses. There is no basis to this whatsoever, just a report that they are assembling a personal army. The US military is guilty of severe human rights abuses and has no doubt played a significant role in training/outfitting the UAE's armed forces.

We are owned de facto by the royal family of Abu Dhabi. The pool of wealth we draw from mostly comes from oil and natural gas wealth.

Yes, that would be silly. On an unrelated note, here's a video of Sheikh Issa, Sheikh Mohammed's brother, torturing somebody:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.buzzchow.com/crime/sheikh-issa-bin-zayed-al-nahyan-torture-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.buzzchow.com/crime/sheikh-is ... ure-video/</a>

Not really too bothered, just means we have access to even more money rather than just mansours personal wealth.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.