City player you most disliked

Thanks for your post mate. Everyone has a different view, and I guess we can't always agree. I completely respect your opinion, and I can totally understand why you and others love Dickov. I will never forget that goal, I was at Wembley that day, and pre takeover it was by far my most treasured memory as a City fan.

However, my view on Dickov pre dates that goal. As we slid out of the Premier League and went from one disaster to another and eventually slipped further down to the third tier, I saw Dickov as a player of 3rd or 4th division standard, with a world class work rate. I understand people's view that it's hard to dislike someone who worked so hard, but this guy was getting paid 20k a week. I know people who work much harder than Dickov who don't earn 20k a year.

He was our main centre forward and he averaged 5 goals a season in the lower leagues. To me, that played a major role in us getting in to the predicament we did. It was great that he scored that goal, but in the interests of fairness and balance, I think it's important to remember that he was regular starter in the team that got relegated the season before. It's not fair to give him all the credit for the good things, and none of the criticism for the bad.

Dickov's goal scoring record at City was as follows:

35 goals in 140 games. Mainly played in the 2nd and 3rd Divisions, for the biggest club with the biggest budget in those divisions at the time. I appreciate he had a great work rate, but my view at the time, and one I still believe, is that if we'd had a centre forward with a slightly lower work rate but more ability, we wouldn't have fallen to such depths.

I appreciate Dickov has spoken well of the club, but let's not forget him celebrating wildly when scoring against us for Blackburn and Leicester. His love of the club wasn't too evident then. I couldn't see Micah RIchards celebrating like that against us, for example, and he genuinely loves the club.

To be fair the fact that he was on £20k a week and playing for us at all was down to the person that signed him.

I've met Dickov and he does talk passionately about us. He brought his kids a game in the CL last year and sat with the fans rather than in the directors box.

As for celebrating against us, he is a professional footballer. I prefer it when players celebrate rather than give it all this hands together and walking back to the centre circle with no celebration. Most of the ones who do this are playing for the club for money, nothing else.

They are never going to love the club as much as we do.

Gerard Wiekens, loved by many fans for his gracious style..shat myself every time i saw him down as centre back on the team sheet for us

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.