City players whose best game at Maine Road or the Etihad was as an opposition player

ian-bishop-4.jpg

Cross seems to have gone down as a failure in the annals of City history, but he scored a more than respectable 12 league goals in 31 appearances. I'm not sure where this idea comes from that he barely scored after an initial purple patch.

His general play wasn't the greatest for us and he did get some stick from the fans, true. I personally thought it was harsh when second-top scorer Kevin Reeves, who missed one match all season, scored a princely seven league goals.

We sold Cross to Vancouver Whitecaps after the transfer deadline, a particularly egregious piece of penny-pinching Swales idiocy. Sure, get rid and sign better in the close season, but don't ditch your only reliable source of goals when relegation has become a serious threat and you can't buy anyone else.

We had a declining Reeves and past-it Dennis Tueart up front for the rest of the season, who were largely toothless. I remain convinced that selling Cross when we did substantially increased our chances of going down.

O'Neill came in during the summer of 1981, in effect a replacement for Steve MacKenzie, who Bond had offloaded to West Brom. Boyer arrived in November 1980. "Long past it" is a slightly eccentric judgement of his worth at the time given that he'd been the First Division's leading scorer in the season that ended six months previously. He was available for transfer simply because Southampton had wanted to make a statement signing in the form of Kevin Keegan.

Boyer did perfectly OK for us in his first 6 or 8 weeks in our team, though he did appear to be adjusting to a new style of play. His problem was that he picked up a serious knee injury after just under two months with us and was never the same player again.
Bond had Boyer at nearly every club he managed...Bournemouth, Norwich and then CIty. Obviously rated him highly.

Anyone mentioned Sammy McIlroy ? Scored in the 3-3 at Maine Road on his debut for those lot but did he ever have a good game for us ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.