City playing away at Maine Road

Didsbury Dave said:
Gary James said:
After seeing the thread about City playing games at Old Trafford against teams other than Utd, I thought I'd post this about City playing away games at Maine Road.

I'm not certain I've got a full list, but from top of my head there's been the Utd-City derbies of the 40s & the Newcastle FA cup tie of jan 1975 (played at Maine Rd because the FA punished NUFC for crowd problems, but still officially a NUFC home game - I show a match ticket in "Manchester The City Years" showing NUFC V City as the game not City V NUFC).

The 1956 Charity Shield should also count as the game was scheduled for the ground of the champs but It had to be played during the season and the only possible dates were midweek and OT didn't have floodlights, so it came to Maine Rd instead.

I'm sure there are others. Anyone know of any more?

I know it's not what you are asking, and I think we've done it before, but I remember City leaving the field after five minutes play against Spurs in the late 80s and returning wearing our away kit.

Think it was in 85 mick mccarthy/ mark lillis /sammy mccilroy era
It was ridiculous spurs thinking their sky blue away kit wouldn't clash
Think we may have won also<br /><br />-- Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:38 pm --<br /><br />
Didsbury Dave said:
Gary James said:
After seeing the thread about City playing games at Old Trafford against teams other than Utd, I thought I'd post this about City playing away games at Maine Road.

I'm not certain I've got a full list, but from top of my head there's been the Utd-City derbies of the 40s & the Newcastle FA cup tie of jan 1975 (played at Maine Rd because the FA punished NUFC for crowd problems, but still officially a NUFC home game - I show a match ticket in "Manchester The City Years" showing NUFC V City as the game not City V NUFC).

The 1956 Charity Shield should also count as the game was scheduled for the ground of the champs but It had to be played during the season and the only possible dates were midweek and OT didn't have floodlights, so it came to Maine Rd instead.

I know it's not what you are asking, and I think we've done it before, but I remember City leaving the field after five minutes play against Spurs in the late 80s and returning wearing our away kit.

Think we may have won also

slighly off topic but does anyone remember Middlesbrough wearing the Rags kits at Maine road, I think in the 80's. Apparently they'd forgotten their kit!

that newcastle cup game we lost to them i think we beat them 5-0 in the league the week before if i am not mistaken

City 1 Chelsea 1 1971 said:
I can't think of any specific game, but it's always puzzled me why City played in red and black stripes at home to Wigan in the FA Cup in 1971.
Also why did we play in red and black stripes for both legs against Chelsea in the ECWC in 71?

As per my user name my first ever game was the previous saturday against the same opponents
On that occasion City played in sky blue and Chelsea played in yellow shirts and royal blue shorts.

The first game I saw at Maine Rd was in the FA Cup against Reading in January 1968 and City came onto the pitch clad in their all maroon away strip of the day. This confused me for many years, especially as the programme stated that City would be be playing in sky blue.

A few years ago I was in the company of a very engaging gentleman who had been a football league referee in the '60's. During the course of our conversations, I mentioned the confusion I had experienced on my first visit to Maine Rd, to which he replied that in those days, if there was deemed to be a colour clash, the home team changed shirts.

citykev28 said:
We played in all maroon at home to Spurs in 1990 as well.

Yes, it happened twice against Spurs and we won both games!!

There was also that disgraceful decision to play in the following seasons away kit against Middlesbrough at home in the ''UEFA Cup Play Off final'', when Fowler missed the Fergie time penalty, last game of the season

droylsdenblue said:
slighly off topic but does anyone remember Middlesbrough wearing the Rags kits at Maine road, I think in the 80's. Apparently they'd forgotten their kit!

It was actually because of sponsorship issues. The game wasn't supposed to be televised and in those days teams couldn't wear a sponsor's name for TV games.

The Bolton match was due to be on but that was called off, so the TV cameras came to Maine Rd to film City V Boro instead. Boro had no un-sponsored kit with them so Utd allowed them to borrow their un-sponsored home kit.

Some occasionally say the game was televised live but it definitely wasn't - in those days it was just highlights on either the Saturday night (usually MOTD) or Sunday (Usually The Kick Off Match/Big Match).

When City played the Jamaica National team as part of their warm up to the 1998 World Cup, it was actually an away game. Jamaica had hired the Maine Road and were free to play whoever they wanted. They invited City, who accepted. I don't think City were involved in the production of the matchday programme.

yes i was there, lost 2-0, we were having a bad season away from home, couldnt win any away games ..... we got called the team that couldnt even win away games at home !
reedy said:
I remember the Newcastle game. It might just as well been a home game for them as they turned up en mass. There were thousands of them and most of them we paralytic as i recall. If i'm not mistaken, they won 2-0 as well

tonea2003 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Gary James said:

-- Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:38 pm --

Didsbury Dave said:
Gary James said:

This was my first game at Maine road, sure Paul Power scored. Also remember Chris Waddle playing for Spurs. We won 2 - 1 in red and black kit. Slightly off topic, I sat in J block that game and remember being totally mesmerised by the Kippax, I was only 14 but remember the noise coming from there......

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.