City return 1/3 tickets

green pennies said:
I have been following this story closely for a few days, and as an American, I find it interesting for a few reasons:

- I can't believe how cheap tickets are in England in general. If I wanted to go see my local American Football team, the New York Giants, play a game and if I hoped to sit anywhere remotely close to the field (or even far away for that matter) I would be paying well over $100 (just about what the Arse away ticket costs if I've done my conversions right).. and that's if I could actually get a ticket at retail prices.. fat chance of that actually happening. I would have to buy my ticket on the secondary market and I would be paying $200-$300 per ticket if not more. I could pay in the thousands if I wanted to be very close to the field. That's not counting the $20 for parking or the ridiculously priced food and drink. Oh and have you heard of PSLs? Thousands of dollars people were made to pay just for the RIGHT to then spend more money purchasing season tickets. http://seatgeek.com/blog/nfl/average-ticket-prices-nfl http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/survey_giants_tix_aren_so_cheap_jngjhzl9bmt328iuOQwcdM

- All that said, it does not mean that tickets should be this pricey! I must admit that you guys have the superior game, the superior prices, and what seems to me to be more passion on the whole. I wouldn't go to see an NFL game unless I was given tix. I'd be at every City match if I could. Many of you express worry on BM that your game will tend to become more like American sport in some ways, and I think that's a valid concern. I admire the fact that people will take a stand to keep prices low, as we seem to just roll over and take it whenever they hike up prices over here. You would never hear of people having the ability to purchase a seat to an away game and not snapping your hand off for it at almost any price over here. I admire the stand that is being taken.

- I didn't quite understand this story completely until I realized that they charge different prices to away fans depending on the club. As American sports do not offer "away section" seating on the whole, you would never have the issue of people being charged more based on the team for the original ticket price (though you would feel it if buying on the secondary market for a big rivalry game). This completely justifies people's unhappiness. It's wrong that some get charged different prices than others.

- Also, on a selfish note, as I am so used to American prices, I've been conditioned to view your prices as cheap by comparison. All week I've just been thinking to myself "so I could go see City-Arsenal for 100 bucks if I lived over there?" It just seems like something I'd happily pay (again, just because of what I'm used to). I say that for no other reason than to remind you to count your blessings that you can still see a game of football for a somewhat reasonable price at all. As I said, I still support the stand that you took.

I love this post. You Sir are my new muse. Everything I do, it's all that **** Bryan Adams fault.

green pennies said:
I have been following this story closely for a few days, and as an American, I find it interesting for a few reasons:

- I can't believe how cheap tickets are in England in general. If I wanted to go see my local American Football team, the New York Giants, play a game and if I hoped to sit anywhere remotely close to the field (or even far away for that matter) I would be paying well over $100 (just about what the Arse away ticket costs if I've done my conversions right).. and that's if I could actually get a ticket at retail prices.. fat chance of that actually happening. I would have to buy my ticket on the secondary market and I would be paying $200-$300 per ticket if not more. I could pay in the thousands if I wanted to be very close to the field. That's not counting the $20 for parking or the ridiculously priced food and drink. Oh and have you heard of PSLs? Thousands of dollars people were made to pay just for the RIGHT to then spend more money purchasing season tickets. http://seatgeek.com/blog/nfl/average-ticket-prices-nfl http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/survey_giants_tix_aren_so_cheap_jngjhzl9bmt328iuOQwcdM

- All that said, it does not mean that tickets should be this pricey! I must admit that you guys have the superior game, the superior prices, and what seems to me to be more passion on the whole. I wouldn't go to see an NFL game unless I was given tix. I'd be at every City match if I could. Many of you express worry on BM that your game will tend to become more like American sport in some ways, and I think that's a valid concern. I admire the fact that people will take a stand to keep prices low, as we seem to just roll over and take it whenever they hike up prices over here. You would never hear of people having the ability to purchase a seat to an away game and not snapping your hand off for it at almost any price over here. I admire the stand that is being taken.

- I didn't quite understand this story completely until I realized that they charge different prices to away fans depending on the club. As American sports do not offer "away section" seating on the whole, you would never have the issue of people being charged more based on the team for the original ticket price (though you would feel it if buying on the secondary market for a big rivalry game). This completely justifies people's unhappiness. It's wrong that some get charged different prices than others.

- Also, on a selfish note, as I am so used to American prices, I've been conditioned to view your prices as cheap by comparison. All week I've just been thinking to myself "so I could go see City-Arsenal for 100 bucks if I lived over there?" It just seems like something I'd happily pay (again, just because of what I'm used to). I say that for no other reason than to remind you to count your blessings that you can still see a game of football for a somewhat reasonable price at all. As I said, I still support the stand that you took.
I very much misread your username ;-) but no matter.

We are not interested in franchise sport in the UK, so you can't compare.

We follow our local teams (in most cases anyway) because they are almost part of the family, and have been since many of us were born, or near enough, and football has always been a sport that everybody could afford to go watch live (not on TV), but its getting close to the point where you have to be uber rich now, and this at a time of recession, slowdown, cliff, whatever you want it to be called.

Like most, I've had no increase in pay for 4 or 5 years (luckily I'm on an OK wage), yet everything else is going up. Football however, is going up at pretty well double everything else, there will come a breaking point, there already has for many I know.

Just because your prices for live sport are ridiculous, doesn't mean ours have to be, and Germany, which has a higher standard of living generally than UK, with better wages, pays half what we do for its top level football, and the cheapest season ticket (every home game), costs little more than the price Arsenal wanted us to pay for one away game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.