City season ticket £9

Big Swifty

I was just thumbing through an old Rothmans Football Annual for 1970-71. In the club-by-club section, it gives the price of each club's season ticket. City's season ticket prices were then £9, £12 and £14.
I know prices and costs have risen, but I was gobsmacked to think you could get an ST for as little as £9. It was only 1970, which to me only seems like yesterday, the heyday of one of our greatest sides.
The year before, I had paid over the odds to get a Cup Final ticket - I reluctantly shelled out £5 for a ticket whose face value was 12/6d. (62p)

I suppose it was a lot of money then. if you'd told me today's prices, wages, costs, I'd have fainted with shock. I wonder what they'll be in, say, 2040? Mind you, in me dad's day, you could buy a plate of fish & chips, 10 Woodbines, two pints of mild, and have a night out at the Ardwick Hippodrome and get change out of a sixpenny piece.. Allegedly.

Big Swifty said:
I was just thumbing through an old Rothmans Football Annual for 1970-71. In the club-by-club section, it gives the price of each club's season ticket. City's season ticket prices were then £9, £12 and £14.
I know prices and costs have risen, but I was gobsmacked to think you could get an ST for as little as £9. It was only 1970, which to me only seems like yesterday, the heyday of one of our greatest sides.
The year before, I had paid over the odds to get a Cup Final ticket - I reluctantly shelled out £5 for a ticket whose face value was 12/6d. (62p)

I suppose it was a lot of money then. if you'd told me today's prices, wages, costs, I'd have fainted with shock. I wonder what they'll be in, say, 2040? Mind you, in me dad's day, you could buy a plate of fish & chips, 10 Woodbines, two pints of mild, and have a night out at the Ardwick Hippodrome and get change out of a sixpenny piece.. Allegedly.
My dad shelled out much more than that, he paid £14 for a 10 bob ticket, 700% mark up from a barrow boy off Market Street
It's why he decided to get season tickets the year after

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
Those prices are pretty near the weekly wage I was receiving. My first monthly salary in Sept 68 was £47 4s 11d! - just short of £12 a week.
In 1968 I was 16 and £6 a week was my wage.Most people got payed weekly didn't they.

1972 I got my first S/T, in the shiny new North stand, £13 adult. That was a decent but not extortionate amount in those days and was good value for money as you usually got 3 or 4 matches "free" based on the matchday prices - about 80p IIRC in the North stand?

lancs blue said:
1972 I got my first S/T, in the shiny new North stand, £13 adult. That was a decent but not extortionate amount in those days and was good value for money as you usually got 3 or 4 matches "free" based on the matchday prices - about 80p IIRC in the North stand?
Also 2 home games more.My first S/T was also North Stand 1973 Birmingham home first game.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
My first season ticket was 80/81 in the Kippax and was 18 quid.
I was 17 and on 28 quid a week

My FA Cup final ticket in 81 was £2.50 and my dads was £3.50. Seats too! Compare that with the £170 I paid last year for me and the lad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.