City Team of the 2000's

MCFC1993

This is a proper international football has bored us all thread.

There's currently an online trend of thinking back to great/iconic Premier League footballers from the 2000's. So slightly inline with that (although we didnt have many great players) who would be your City XI from that era.

One Rule:
Only judge them on their performances in the 2000's, not the 90's or 2010's, so Tevez and Lescott signed in the summer 09 window shouldn't really count, they had 4 months in that era.
Kompany for example only had a 1.5 years in the 2000s, so you might prefer to pick Dunne for the era.

2000/01 squad:
2001/02 squad:
2002/03:
2003/04:
2004/05:
2005/06:
2006/07:
2007/08:
2008/09:

This is what I've come up with:
----------------------James
Richards---Dunne--Distin-----Zabaleta
--------------------Kompany
--------------Ireland----Elano
SWP-------------Anelka---------Robinho

Bench: Weaver, Hart, Howey, Corluka, Tarnat, Pearce, Foe, C. Reyna, Johnson, De Jong, Berkovic, Bernarbia, Huckerby, Petrov, Bellamy, Goater, Vassell, A. Cole

I struggled on the keeper, was never mad on James tbh, always loved Weaver but he had injuries. Hart didn't really come into his own until after the loan to Birmingham.
Left back was rough so I've cheated and stuck Zaba there, I think Richards has to be ahead of him at right back in that era.
I really didn't want to put that twat in midfield.
Breaks my heart leaving the Goat out.
It's a big bench but they're essentially my honourable mentions.

I was young in this era so my memory may be hazy.

Last edited:

There's currently an online trend of thinking back to great/iconic Premier League footballers from the 2000's. So slightly inline with that (although we didnt have many great players) who would be your City XI from that era.

One Rule:
Only judge them on their performances in the 2000's, not the 90's or 2010's, so Tevez and Lescott signed in the summer 09 window shouldn't really count, they had 4 months in that era.
Kompany for example only had a 1.5 years in the 2000s, so you might prefer to pick Dunne for the era.

2000/01 squad:
2001/02 squad:
2002/03:
2003/04:
2004/05:
2005/06:
2006/07:
2007/08:
2008/09:

Richards---Dunne--Kompany--Distin
---------------------Barton

Bench: Weaver, Hart, Howey, Corluka, Zabaleta, Pearce, Foe, C. Reyna, Johnson, De Jong, Berkovic, Bernarbia, Huckerby, Bellamy, Goater, Vassell, A. Cole

I struggled on the keeper, was never mad on James tbh, always loved Weaver but he had injuries. Hart didn't really come into his own until after the loan to Birmingham.
Left back was rough so I've cheated.
I really didn't want to put that twat in midfield but he carried us in the Pearce era.

Careful. You'll have some on here after you!

One Rule:

2000/01 squad:
2001/02 squad:
2002/03:
2003/04:
2004/05:
2005/06:
2006/07:
2007/08:
2008/09:

Richards---Dunne--Kompany--Distin
---------------------Barton

Bench: Weaver, Hart, Howey, Corluka, Zabaleta, Pearce, Foe, C. Reyna, Johnson, De Jong, Berkovic, Bernarbia, Huckerby, Bellamy, Goater, Vassell, A. Cole

Left back was rough so I've cheated.
I really didn't want to put that twat in midfield but he carried us in the Pearce era.

James

Richards
Distin
Dunne
Jensen

Foé
Benarbia
Elano

SWP
Anelka
Petrov

Hart, Zaba, Kompany, Johnson, Berkovic, Goater, Wanchope

James

Richards
Distin
Dunne
Jensen

Foé
Benarbia
Elano

SWP
Anelka
Petrov

Hart, Zaba, Kompany, Johnson, Berkovic, Goater, Wanchope
Petrov's not a bad shout, missed him off.

Jensen, Garrido, Pearce (best season in Championship), I really didn't want to pick a natural left back.

Tiatto got to be in there, player of the season 2001 & the PFA stopped him from being fans player of the season that year too because of block voting!

Creating an all-time best XI for Manchester City since 2000 is a tough task due to the club's evolution and the many standout players who have donned the Sky Blue shirt. Here’s a lineup that blends the best of both their pre- and post-2008 eras, when the club began its significant rise:

Formation: 4-3-3

Goalkeeper:

• Ederson – His distribution and shot-stopping have been crucial in City's success over the past few years.
Defenders:

• Right Back: Pablo Zabaleta – Known for his tenacity, reliability, and leadership.
  • Center Back: Vincent Kompany – A rock at the back and a key figure in City’s title wins.
  • Center Back: John Stones – Excellent in possession and has been instrumental in recent successes.
  • Left Back: Benjamin Mendy – Before his injuries, he was a significant attacking threat on the left.
Midfielders:

• Central Midfield: Yaya Touré – Dominant and dynamic, with an incredible goal-scoring ability from midfield.
  • Central Midfield: David Silva – The creative genius who orchestrated City’s play for nearly a decade.
  • Central Midfield: Kevin De Bruyne – One of the best midfielders of his generation, known for his passing and vision.
Forwards:

• Right Wing: Raheem Sterling – Explosive pace and finishing made him a key player in City’s attacking play.
  • Striker: Sergio Agüero – City’s all-time leading scorer and one of the Premier League’s best strikers.
  • Left Wing: Robinho – Not as consistent as some others, but his flair and impact in his early years were significant.
Bench:

• Goalkeeper: Joe Hart
  • Defenders: Micah Richards, Joleon Lescott, Aleksandar Kolarov
  • Midfielders: Samir Nasri, Fernando, Ilkay Gündogan
  • Forwards: Emmanuel Adebayor, Gabriel Jesus
This lineup balances players from different eras, reflecting City’s growth from a mid-table team to a dominant force in English and European football.

This is just something i typed up before...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.