City v Bristol City 1st leg post match

I hadn't / haven't read the whole thread but it was good to see someone raise the point. Mangala was put in a difficult position because he had limited options but he also has limitations as a player. Without reviewing the situation again, I'm not sure if he could have given the ball back to Stones or turned and gone back to Bravo. Maybe his best bet was to try and run the ball out but he chose to try and pass (this being a Pep team) and that meant playing the ball at a narrow angle, which the Bristol player was able to block. Shit will happen when you play like this and it doesn't and won't just happen to Mangala - just wait until Eddie presents the ball to an oncoming striker who plops it into an open net!

Mangala also had some struggles when given the ball in other tight situations but I'm not sure there was too much wrong with his defending; I know he made plenty of clearances.

I thought Stones was a little unlucky on the penalty offence in the sense that I felt he was very close to getting the ball - may even have got a very faint touch - and so, whilst he took the wrong decision, I can see why he thought he could make the tackle.

Let's hope the incident will be useful experience for both our CB's.

If you look at the incident when Mangala (stupidly) gave the ball away, the thing which sums him up for me, is not the giveaway, it's his instant reaction to it.

Looking from the side, I saw that & thought 'dickhead, ok, sort it out'. Not 'oh shit they are going to score'. I thought 'oh shit they are going to score' a second later, when I saw that Mangala's arse had gone instantly, when he gave away the ball, & was now fouling the bloke (but not properly fouling him, enough to actually stop him) & half running, but not fully comitting himself to sprinting. His brain had gone & he had no fucking idea, what he was doing.

Exactly the same, as several times v Wolves, vs some other bloke we have never heard of.

Neither fouling the guy & stopping him, nor running to get in front of him & defend, just grasping at him, like a drowning man.

He can't handle playing at this level.

Expected more from us going forward, although we had good chances to win the game more convincingly. A good win in the end against a gutsy Bristol team who
Showed far more balls than many Premier League teams have done this season!

I hadn't / haven't read the whole thread but it was good to see someone raise the point. Mangala was put in a difficult position because he had limited options but he also has limitations as a player. Without reviewing the situation again, I'm not sure if he could have given the ball back to Stones or turned and gone back to Bravo. Maybe his best bet was to try and run the ball out but he chose to try and pass (this being a Pep team) and that meant playing the ball at a narrow angle, which the Bristol player was able to block. Shit will happen when you play like this and it doesn't and won't just happen to Mangala - just wait until Eddie presents the ball to an oncoming striker who plops it into an open net!

Mangala also had some struggles when given the ball in other tight situations but I'm not sure there was too much wrong with his defending; I know he made plenty of clearances.

I thought Stones was a little unlucky on the penalty offence in the sense that I felt he was very close to getting the ball - may even have got a very faint touch - and so, whilst he took the wrong decision, I can see why he thought he could make the tackle.

There was a simple pass out wide to Sterling who had a yard on his marker, no need to try the difficult pass to Zinchenko.

Bravo shirks responsibility. He will get rid to a blue who obviously is in no place to receive. Rather than risk being mugged himself. The old "anywhere will do " method.
Think last home cup game v Burnley . Gave it to left back who had nowhere to go so he got it back and gave it straight back ! Knocking it for a corner , Burnley almost scored. The ball on was stone to right in space.
Again last night Bravo just wanted shot so he was in clear and truly stitched up young zinchenko.......I thought senior players were supposed to protect and help the young........

Watched a different game to me last night and v Burnley then.

IMO , Mangala (who stepped up to play although still wearing a mask to protect his injury) made mistakes but so did every other player (some made more mistakes than Mangala!!). He certainly made more clearances than any other defender.

Defensively we were poor but that was across the whole team not just the back four and keeper.

When the forwards and midfielders are on their game defensively, our back four and keeper have less to do and look better. This wasn't the case last night and it was a problem in the Wolves game also.

In his programme notes Pep highlighted that against Burnley " John Stones made a mistake...but that is not the problem. The key factor is how he responded. He didn't let his head go down. That is the way this club will continue to make steps forward over the next years."

IMO I think Pep would prefer us as fans to get behind the players after their mistakes and not castigate them (like some did with Sane also after his errors against Burnley) . Some of the comments about Mangala are ridiculous and are quite clearly from people who weren't even at the game.Watching it on TV just doesn't give you the whole picture .

We win as a team, we draw as a team, we lose as a team. It's the Pep philosophy. If supporters can't buy into it they can always go watch ManUre instead and join the other rags who always see the faults in others but not in themselves.
CTID

Then surely your last line completely blows all your other posts out of the water?????

You say other players can play as a 9 and score goals, but as soon as one does then you complain as it doesn't work as well. If Aguero can't be rested at home against a Championship side then we have no chance playing without him or Jesus away at Anfield.

Stones was in the red zone, hence the muscular injury. The red zone affects that, not ACL/MCL's. It's why there was a 46% increase in soft muscle injuries across the PL in December from November.

Ah, I see, now!

Dry your eyes mate, one day you might just be higher than us, what is it now? Nigh on 7,000 days and counting. The blue few now resorting to sobbing on other clubs forums.

If you look at the incident when Mangala (stupidly) gave the ball away, the thing which sums him up for me, is not the giveaway, it's his instant reaction to it.

Looking from the side, I saw that & thought 'dickhead, ok, sort it out'. Not 'oh shit they are going to score'. I thought 'oh shit they are going to score' a second later, when I saw that Mangala's arse had gone instantly, when he gave away the ball, & was now fouling the bloke (but not properly fouling him, enough to actually stop him) & half running, but not fully comitting himself to sprinting. His brain had gone & he had no fucking idea, what he was doing.

Exactly the same, as several times v Wolves, vs some other bloke we have never heard of.

Neither fouling the guy & stopping him, nor running to get in front of him & defend, just grasping at him, like a drowning man.

He can't handle playing at this level.

I think his main issue is a mental one but I don't think he is stupid by any means; which makes it very frustrating.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.