City v Schalke - football tour guide of Manchester - German magazine

You could visit Maine Road, where we used to play (and where we played Schalke in the 70s). Its now a housing development but we still have fond memories of the place.

One of the streets on the new estate is called Trautmann Close, named after a famous German - Bert Trautmann. He was a Prisoner of War turned goalkeeper, and was said to have learned to dive as a goalkeeper as a result of his training as a paratrooper. Obviously it must have been difficult to be German at that time, but he won the City supporters over, culminating in him playing for us in 1956 FA Cup Final. He broke his neck during the game but played on and we won.

We've had several German players in our history, but aside from Leroy of the current crop, Uwe Rösler is arguably the most popular from recent times (1990's). He has quite an interesting story too growing up in Eastern Germany, then playing for the likes of Nürnberg and Kaiserslautern (in the 1/4 Finals of the Champions League), before surviving Cancer. He has managed several teams in England (including beating City with Wigan), but is still very fondly remembered by City fans (that are old enough to remember him). He fell in love with the club and named his sons Colin and Tony after former city players Colin Bell and Tony Book. As far as I know both play for City's academy and Colin has played for the EDS in the Youth Champions League this season.

If you're after a decent pint whilst you're over, I'd suggest the Albert Schloss. You'll get your Weiß biers, Schweinshaxe and Schnitzels etc.

Once you're done, please can you find a way to post a link on here so we can see the finished piece (even if its in German)? Thanks

Thanks for your help. If you send me an e-mail (ron.ulrich@11freunde.de) with your address details, I could send you a copy of the magazine.

Yes, we know Trautmann very well. My colleague managed to interview him, it is a pity that we only have it in German for he was a very entertaining speaker https://www.11freunde.de/interview/bernd-trautmann-ueber-seine-grosse-karriere-england

Rösler always enthuses about City - and he was often asked about Old Trafford and his grandad.

Myself and @Scaring Europe to Death had a bit of a race - which I won :), to get to all the Bundesliga grounds. I think he has me beat on Buli 2 grounds at the minute and I know he has been to most grounds more than once unlike me.

In my opinion, the worst German grounds are the modern ones, as they're all just a repeat of each other, eg Augsburg, Hoffenheim, Aachen with different colour seats. We have the same over here though with the likes of Derby, Middlesbrough, Leicester, Southampton etc. No real character to them (or soul).

I find it difficult to choose between Bremen or Kaiserslautern as my favourite German stadium (to date). Köln, Frankfurt and Hertha Berlin are up there too.

That's the thing: the modern arenas are confusable. Düsseldorf's stadium looked like a terminal when I first went there. Aue on the other hand is a one-off.

Freiburg has the only pitch in the Bundesliga which is shorter than the others and has a slight slope. They play with a derogation from the association.

Hi,
that's interesting. I always recommend my colleagues from abroad to visit a game in Bochum. It is a smaller and old fashioned stadium with good views from all places, good atmosphere and also only 10 min walk to the city and bars. Union Berlin has also a very strong support. What were the worst grounds you visited?

I think, most of the Germans have sympathies for Liverpool in these days because of Jürgen Klopp who is a popular and charismatic figure here till date.

My weirdest experience was undoubtedly the “Goal Music” at Hannover v Hamburg around 12 years ago, and watching the home fans dancing to the punk version of Nellie the Elephant by the Toy Dolls.

In my experience the most English style/ambience/ atmosphere is at the Rhein Energie Stadium in Cologne, which resembles Villa Park in general layout and structure.

I saw Ronaldinho and Deco score for Barcelona at the Weser Stadium in 2005, and also witnessed a completely anonymous performance by the blonde Bremen midfielder during a 3-0 home defeat to Wolfsburg in 2013. Whatever happened to Kevin De Bruyne?

It was after this game, when the two of us (my mate’s an Evertonian) pub-crawled from the stadium to the hauptbahnhof, and amusingly stumbled into a pub full of Bremen ultras, who initially thought we were Wolfsburg fans.

How ironic, when the English are trying to learn from the German football culture, that we found ourselves surrounded by locals, who were trying to dress, and act, like the English.

Union Berlin seem to be admired by the fans of other German clubs, but it’s a peculiar English habit to go against the grain, especially if we’re being lectured.. Consequently, after hearing so many tales of how the fans had built their own stadium, we found ourselves supporting the opposition.

Similarly, I always prefer Hamburg to the self-righteous St Pauli sub culture

Yeah I get a bit sick of Union Berlin and St Pauli myself. The causes they support are correct and in line with my own views, but you either have them or you don't as an individual. You don't completely change your outlook because your mates at a football club tell you to. I'm indifferent to either Hamburg club but really enjoyed Hertha.

@11freunde/11friends beyond Football, Manchester is probably most famous for Music.

Oasis are the obvious link with City, but you've got huge bands such as the Stone Roses, The Smiths, New Order, Joy Division, and more recently the Courteeners, Blossoms (technically Stockport), to name just a few. My personal favourites - Doves, are just about to get back together and are all match going City fans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_clubs_in_Greater_Manchester

We have many local football teams compared to other Northern cities and their surrounding areas. Liverpool/Merseyside, Leeds/West Yorkshire, Sheffield/South Yorkshire and Newcastle/the North East as a whole, none of them have anywhere near the volume of football clubs that Manchester/Greater Manchester does.

Even the Birmingham/West Midlands (who have only one less club in levels 1-4) cannot boast the amount of clubs Manchester/Greater Manchester does at level 5-8.

Only London beats Manchester for football clubs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you go for a mooch round the Redlight in Openshaw.

Fuck all to do with football but we all need our pipes cleaned out by a crack whore every now and then.

@11freunde/11friends beyond Football, Manchester is probably most famous for Music.

Oasis are the obvious link with City, but you've got huge bands such as the Stone Roses, The Smiths, New Order, Joy Division, and more recently the Courteeners, Blossoms (technically Stockport), to name just a few. My personal favourites - Doves, are just about to get back together and are all match going City fans.

Get yourself to Corbieres Bar then South Nightclub on a Saturday night.

Manchester music heaven.

Thanks for your help. If you send me an e-mail (ron.ulrich@11freunde.de) with your address details, I could send you a copy of the magazine.

Yes, we know Trautmann very well. My colleague managed to interview him, it is a pity that we only have it in German for he was a very entertaining speaker https://www.11freunde.de/interview/bernd-trautmann-ueber-seine-grosse-karriere-england

Rösler always enthuses about City - and he was often asked about Old Trafford and his grandad.

That is a class interview, I must say, I read it in the German (I speak it, I lived in Bochum - hahem, sorry - actually Wattenscheid so right on the Border with Geilenkirschen for 2 years) and then in Munich

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.