City vs Barca - Post Match Thread

newenglandblue said:
Acquitted oursevles well. Stood off a bit for the first 20 mins but that had no impact on the outcome of the game. Atleast their equals for the last 25 minutes of the first half. Started the second a bit slowly and they were building, that said the first goal was avoidable, both with the ref and MD who I thought was having his best game until that point. He cant resist a slide tackle unfortunately and this cost us. Love Lescott, but anyone must have seen his limitations when he came on, did ok but put us under pressure due to his unease on the ball and they knew this and swarmed him - hence why MD started. Second goal was a killer. THink it was one of those where Joe will be dissapointed but not a mistake per se. Overall, we have to feel good about how we played, especially between 65-85 minutes where we looked the more likely to score.

Exactly.

Last night's match also showed we're not quite there yet in the CL... We were a bit too respectful early on, but actually looked more likely to score after the sending off (until the end when our players were really tired). I think that's something the team will take away from this: the realisation that they can compete, and even win at this level. What experiences like last night should teach them is that there is no reason we can't play like that from the beginning.

And I think we the fans can probably learn the same thing: the glamour of having Barca play at the Etihad meant the crows was a bit overawed as well. It's a slow process, building what Mancini used to call the winning mentality, and there's a little way to go still.

Shame about the second goal, but actually an encouraging evening otherwise. Unlikely we'll go through, but not impossible. And if we go out, we can focus on the domestic comepetitions...

moomba said:
Gutted to concede the 2nd, that has killed us in the tie.

Wasnt our best game, but we were solid until the penalty. Loved how we approached the game with 10 men, an equaliser wouldnt have been undeserved.

But that 2nd, argggghhhh

I've just read the whole 66 pages and can't believe there aren't more posters talking about this.

Going to the Nou Camp 1-0 down with a fully fit and fired up Aguero and I actually would have quite fancied our chances. Just wish we'd held on. Got to hope we score early over there and who knows.

I thought MP's tactics were spot on, I think if we'd got to 60 minutes and it was still 0-0 MP would have made changes and taken the shackles off - as it was didn't get chance to and changes were forced upon him.

Most disappointing for me though is that we didn't really test Mascherano and Pique, who I don't think are anything special.

We did not play to our strengths, we played to Barca's strengths they pressed us - we did not press them and on that basis the result was never in doubt. We needed to take the game to them (as Pellers said he would) instead we got passed off the park (over 800 passes to City's less than 400) and anyone denying the fact that Barca deserved to win is in denial.

Yes we had a couple of decisions not go our way but on the other side they had a good shout for a penalty against Clichy and a perfectly good goal disallowed in the second half.

It was only when Nasri came on and we decided to give it a go that we put them under a little bit of pressure.

So on reflection the match panned out pretty much as most of the pundits predicted, we were not outclassed but we were second best for most parts of the game.

We have no other option than to take the game to them in the second leg, I believe that this will work in our favour as we will have to play the game we know best.

Also not happy with the managers post match comments, sounded like sour grapes to me and he was out of order.

warringtonblue said:
A few of the posts on here mention anout tackling and diving saying that you can't tackle in the champions league like you do in the prem or you give away free kicks and pick up booking
Danny Alves managed to give away 4 fouls before receiving the card, I just wish we had been offered the same leniency.
No real complaints about the loss, just s shame we conceded at the death
In a perverse way I was a little disappointed I'm Messi's contribution, I was expecting more from him
We were talking about Messi in the pub, and how poor he was. It would be interesting to see what Messi would do with a team he's not accustomed to, i.e. a transfer. Ronaldo has proved that if you put him in a team, any team, he will perform, regardless of his team mates ability. I wonder if Messi could do the same. He was non-existent in the first half.

I thought we played as though we were scared of them last night,in the Nou Camp we wont have the same biased ref and I think we will play our own game as we have nothing to lose now and I do genuinely think we will beat them over there,maybe not by the 2 goals we need to go through but we will beat them

Pigeonho said:
warringtonblue said:
A few of the posts on here mention anout tackling and diving saying that you can't tackle in the champions league like you do in the prem or you give away free kicks and pick up booking
Danny Alves managed to give away 4 fouls before receiving the card, I just wish we had been offered the same leniency.
No real complaints about the loss, just s shame we conceded at the death
In a perverse way I was a little disappointed I'm Messi's contribution, I was expecting more from him
We were talking about Messi in the pub, and how poor he was. It would be interesting to see what Messi would do with a team he's not accustomed to, i.e. a transfer. Ronaldo has proved that if you put him in a team, any team, he will perform, regardless of his team mates ability. I wonder if Messi could do the same. He was non-existent in the first half.

I'd much rather be talking about a 2-0 defeat due to 2 magical goals that hurt at the time but on reflection, you appreciate the skill and genius of the guy but unfortunately that wasn't the case

davelyncooper said:
We did not play to our strengths, we played to Barca's strengths they pressed us - we did not press them and on that basis the result was never in doubt. We needed to take the game to them (as Pellers said he would) instead we got passed off the park (over 800 passes to City's less than 400) and anyone denying the fact that Barca deserved to win is in denial.

Yes we had a couple of decisions not go our way but on the other side they had a good shout for a penalty against Clichy and a perfectly good goal disallowed in the second half.

It was only when Nasri came on and we decided to give it a go that we put them under a little bit of pressure.

So on reflection the match panned out pretty much as most of the pundits predicted, we were not outclassed but we were second best for most parts of the game.

We have no other option than to take the game to them in the second leg, I believe that this will work in our favour as we will have to play the game we know best.

Also not happy with the managers post match comments, sounded like sour grapes to me and he was out of order.

You can only take this assessment fairly up to the sending off.

If that hadn't happened my guess is that the largely ineffectual Navas and Kolorov would have made way for Edin and Nasri and we'd have opened up considerably more.

You can't go gung-ho against Barcelona for 90 and to my mind Pellegrini set things up perfectly. Until the Bovine Ponytail ruined the plan spectacularly.

Lucky Toma said:
davelyncooper said:

You can only take this assessment fairly up to the sending off.

If that hadn't happened my guess is that the largely ineffectual Navas and Kolorov would have made way for Edin and Nasri and we'd have opened up considerably more.

You can't go gung-ho against Barcelona for 90 and to my mind Pellegrini set things up perfectly. Until the Bovine Ponytail ruined the plan spectacularly.

Fair comment mate, I was just a tad disappointed that we did not play to our strengths and in the end played like most teams play against Barca - on the back foot.

wolfie1988 said:
Can't bring myself to be disappointed with last night.

We had a game plan which was clearly to be in the game by the time we got to the Nou Camp. Losing a man has obviously killed us. 0-1 would have been perfect. We'd have had to score regardless over there but that 2nd goal was a killer.

On another note, i can't be the only one who found it a little boring last night. The game was bitty and niggly. We couldn't go near a player to put a tackle in due to the referee and they created nowt. The press are battering us this morning but for me they are not looking at the wider picture
Agree completely. Football365 are the only ones who seem to have watched the same match that I did: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.football365.com/f365-says/9173115/This-City-Side-Is-Here-To-Stay.." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.football365.com/f365-says/91 ... -To-Stay..</a>.

Vincent Kompany: "Barcelona are not the best team we've played this season."

Roy Keane: "He's obviously tired. Not sure he knows what he's talking about."

Keane looked awfully smug with his terribly clever answer but perhaps he was the one who was tired - too tired to remember that Manchester City had been schooled by a Bayern Munich side who had 21 shots at the Etihad in October and deserved even more than their comprehensive 3-1 win. This was what Nick Miller wrote on this site on that night: 'Bayern Munich simply outclassed Manchester City. They were just better in almost every aspect of the game. It is sometimes pointless to criticise the losers when the winners are simply this good.'

Could you say that about Barcelona's 2-0 win? Not a chance. City were not outclassed by Barcelona; on the contrary, they more than matched them until Martín Demichelis became the fall guy for Vincent Kompany failing to keep City's defensive line and leaving Lionel Messi to run free on goal. There will be thousands of largely dull words written about the wisdom of spending millions and still ending up with Demichelis in your defence but the fact is that the Argentine had been excellent along with the rest of an incredibly disciplined City side until that moment. And just about every centre-half in football feels oddly compelled to make that challenge even with the double jeopardy of penalty and red card.

Yes, City sat back and invited Barcelona to keep the ball in the opening 20 minutes, but at the end of that 20 minutes it was still the home side who had looked most dangerous, with a drive from Yaya Toure and a through ball from the exquisite David Silva showing that Barcelona could be vulnerable to counter-attack. Barcelona did not even muster a shot in the opening half-hour of a game they were 'dominating'. By the time that first off-target shot was registered, City had left the safety of the 18-yard line and were matching Barcelona for intent. They were defending diligently, closing down quickly in midfield (the importance of Fernandinho to this City side cannot be exaggerated), passing crisply and finding Silva in the space between Barcelona's defence and midfield.

Tata Martino admitted after the game that Barcelona 'lost control' for periods of the game. That's not because - as Jose Mourinho would have you believe - this is a poor Barcelona side, but because City made them lose control with quick pressing and equally quick passing. They were scared of Silva, they were frustrated by Fernandinho and Yaya Toure and, for a while there, they were confounded by Demichelis looking like an excellent centre-half. Even after the Argentine had left the pitch, it was Víctor Valdés rather than Joe Hart who had to make a crucial save to keep the score at 1-0.

Had it stayed at 1-0, you would have given a City side boosted by the return to fitness of Sergio Aguero and Samir Nasri half a chance of overturning that deficit in Spain, with Barcelona clearly rattled by the physicality of Toure and the guile of Silva. At 2-0 that chance has pretty much disappeared. But City as a force in European football will not disappear with their almost-inevitable exit in the Nou Camp, for this City side - under an astute manager who learned from his mistakes against Bayern Munich and Chelsea and will surely learn from this one against Barcelona - has arrived on the European stage.

You may argue that City should have arrived on the European stage a few million quid ago, but that argument is utterly irrelevant because it is now a fait accompli. On Tuesday night at the Etihad - in their very first Champions League knock-out game - they took on Barcelona and came out disappointed with and possibly undeserving of a 2-0 defeat against the best club side of the last seven or eight years. They looked far from uncomfortable in such exalted company; they may have only recently arrived at this particular party but they will not be leaving any time soon.

Sarah Winterburn

The second goal is the killer. We could go 0-1 to the Nou Camp and still have a great chance.

Up to the sending off it was all going to plan. Barca weren't creating anything much and we looked good on the break. If it stayed 0-0 another 10 minutes we would have sent on Nasri and Edin and looked to attack more the last 25 minutes or so.

A new centre and left back this summer and I think we will be up there with the best in the world next season.

Need to get three points on Sat now and take it from there

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.