City_rabin

I spent a few years in Oldham growing up but it didn't stop me developing very strong feelings for Gabriella Sabatini, who is about as far away from Fitton Hill as you can get in every way,
That post almost put a little bit of lead in the old pencil

Not sure what's gone on here as i don't do twitter / Facebook or any social media as its largely a cess pit full of people with nothing worth saying but who think that shouting the loudest or bullying is the way to win a conversation that isn't going their way or they don't have the intelligence to conclude in a grown up manner.

Anyway rant over and the biggest compliment I can give to Rabin is that i had a twitter account just to read his posts and that he was the only person followed. I can now close that account.

Chin up Rabin and don't let them get you down.

I know what you mean about Maine Road. I hope you find your experience at The Etihad different.

On your final point I have to disagree with you. There are foreign fans and there are foreign fans. Your average foreign fan who buys a shirt to wear whilst watching it on satellite tv and trolling on social media platforms, I have no time for. There are plenty of blues who moved abroad and still follow from afar.

There is another section of supporters who get marginalised. Guys in there seventies who have gone to City their whole lives who don’t go on the internet as they are scared of computer viruses and get their online transactions hacked. I sort out their season ticket renewals for a couple of them. I have participated in club surveys that want to know which social media platforms you are active on, the inference being you be a good blue soldier online.

Do I hold their opinions in more regard to the monosyllabic YouTube comments on the official club channel posting stuff such as “How many likes I get is how many goals City will win by” nonsense?

Short answer is yes. Hop over to the transfer forum and see the posts from FCBarca who writes dewy eyed about Catalonia when he’s from Switzerland. There’s something mentally wrong with these people. If I’d have brought up in Ireland I’d be supporting a Gaelic football team, if I’d been brought up in the States it would be my local American football or basketball team. I can’t understand latching on to stuff that sometimes is on a different continent.

Sorry if that opinion offends.

For what it's worth I feel like this post is worth addressing, even though some others have already done so.

I'll be upfront and say that I am a foreign fan of City. Born and bred in Australia for all my life, I was a footy mad kid. I played in the local team where I grew up (a town of roughly 30,000). I wasn't a great player but Mum and Dad got me into football as a way to develop teamwork skills and general fitness.

At the time (the nineties) there wasn't a lot of 'football content' to consume. The National League was pretty shambolic at the time and barely got any coverage. We didn't have that local football culture inherent in England (at least not in the town I grew up) whereby supporting a club was a 'way of life'. Maybe in some of the lager cities, Sydney or Melbourne that was different but not where I lived.

One of the few outlets I had for my interest in football was the Premier League highlights show which used to be broadcast on SBS here in Australia at 7:30pm on a Monday night. It would show all the goals and extended highlights of the weekends games in primetime! It was a godsend! SBS was the multicultural broadcaster here in Australia and football was, and still is to a certain extent seen as a game for "Sheila's, Wogs and Poofs" (which is the same as the title of a great book on Australian Football history which is worth checking out). So following football in Australia already put you at odds to mainstream society.

So every Monday night I'd follow the league as it was my football fix. At the time, probably pandering to the global audience, the 'Red' teams got a disproportionate coverage as United and Arsenal were the more successful teams at the time and Liverpool had it's 'history' (e.g Craig Johnston probably being the bigger Australian football export at the time who achieved success with Liverpool attracted some Australian fans). However, when it came to selecting a team to support, I ended up choosing City when they achieved promotion at the turn of the century. Maybe given the contrarian streak in me there was something about picking one of the 'top' teams (at the time) to support which didn't sit right with me. I read up about the history of the Club and the whole gallows humour/'Typical City' vibe really resonated with me. My brother ended up picking Villa to support as the claret and blue were the same colours as the kit the club we played for was (why he didn't end up picking West Ham I'll never know).

And what a time to pick them to support! I had the glory of the Keegan, and Pearce years ahead of me! I distinctly remember a highlight being forcing a replay in the FA Cup against Villa when Micah scored that goal and had that post match interview! Imagine that being a highlight of the season given the success we've born witness to now! I couldn't even watch it live as it wasn't broadcast in Australia and had to reply on a internet text gamecast through ESPN. Actually watching City games were few and far between. The Sky equivalent over here only had the rights to about 4-5 games a week, and you can bet who they decided to televise (City rarely got on unless we were playing one of the 'Top 4' sides).

I lurked on here for many a year before joining up, namely because I was 100% sure that I would be accepted as I wasn't a Manc. Even to this day there are some topics that I don't feel I can comment on (such as ticket prices etc) as I feel my opinion doesn't carry as much weight (which is true to an extent).

It was this trepidation that I wasn't sure whether I should approach some Blues that I saw in a beer garden in Munich when I was on the way to watch the pre-season friendly against Bayern a few years ago (the only City game I've had the fortune of attending - funnily enough the time City played a friendly in Oz I was in the UK for a mates wedding!). But we got to talking, had a few beers, started getting a whole carriage on the broken down tram to the stadium singing the the Ya Ya Toure song and had a great experience. If you're reading @JC2 - hope all is well!

I guess I started following City for my own reasons, and to me they're neither right nor wrong. Others may think differently but the funny thing about supporting a football team is that your experience or of it doesn't invalidate my own and vice versa, so I struggle to understand the animosity that some feel.

Hopefully my shared experience can give you some level of understanding as to why I started supporting City, as you state that you can't fathom why anyone who didn't grow up in the shadow of Maine road would support them, because for the life of me I can't reconcile your desire for maintaining these parochial attitudes.

For what it's worth I feel like this post is worth addressing, even though some others have already done so.

I'll be upfront and say that I am a foreign fan of City. Born and bred in Australia for all my life, I was a footy mad kid. I played in the local team where I grew up (a town of roughly 30,000). I wasn't a great player but Mum and Dad got me into football as a way to develop teamwork skills and general fitness.

At the time (the nineties) there wasn't a lot of 'football content' to consume. The National League was pretty shambolic at the time and barely got any coverage. We didn't have that local football culture inherent in England (at least not in the town I grew up) whereby supporting a club was a 'way of life'. Maybe in some of the lager cities, Sydney or Melbourne that was different but not where I lived.

One of the few outlets I had for my interest in football was the Premier League highlights show which used to be broadcast on SBS here in Australia at 7:30pm on a Monday night. It would show all the goals and extended highlights of the weekends games in primetime! It was a godsend! SBS was the multicultural broadcaster here in Australia and football was, and still is to a certain extent seen as a game for "Sheila's, Wogs and Poofs" (which is the same as the title of a great book on Australian Football history which is worth checking out). So following football in Australia already put you at odds to mainstream society.

So every Monday night I'd follow the league as it was my football fix. At the time, probably pandering to the global audience, the 'Red' teams got a disproportionate coverage as United and Arsenal were the more successful teams at the time and Liverpool had it's 'history' (e.g Craig Johnston probably being the bigger Australian football export at the time who achieved success with Liverpool attracted some Australian fans). However, when it came to selecting a team to support, I ended up choosing City when they achieved promotion at the turn of the century. Maybe given the contrarian streak in me there was something about picking one of the 'top' teams (at the time) to support which didn't sit right with me. I read up about the history of the Club and the whole gallows humour/'Typical City' vibe really resonated with me. My brother ended up picking Villa to support as the claret and blue were the same colours as the kit the club we played for was (why he didn't end up picking West Ham I'll never know).

And what a time to pick them to support! I had the glory of the Keegan, and Pearce years ahead of me! I distinctly remember a highlight being forcing a replay in the FA Cup against Villa when Micah scored that goal and had that post match interview! Imagine that being a highlight of the season given the success we've born witness to now! I couldn't even watch it live as it wasn't broadcast in Australia and had to reply on a internet text gamecast through ESPN. Actually watching City games were few and far between. The Sky equivalent over here only had the rights to about 4-5 games a week, and you can bet who they decided to televise (City rarely got on unless we were playing one of the 'Top 4' sides).

I lurked on here for many a year before joining up, namely because I was 100% sure that I would be accepted as I wasn't a Manc. Even to this day there are some topics that I don't feel I can comment on (such as ticket prices etc) as I feel my opinion doesn't carry as much weight (which is true to an extent).

It was this trepidation that I wasn't sure whether I should approach some Blues that I saw in a beer garden in Munich when I was on the way to watch the pre-season friendly against Bayern a few years ago (the only City game I've had the fortune of attending - funnily enough the time City played a friendly in Oz I was in the UK for a mates wedding!). But we got to talking, had a few beers, started getting a whole carriage on the broken down tram to the stadium singing the the Ya Ya Toure song and had a great experience. If you're reading @JC2 - hope all is well!

I guess I started following City for my own reasons, and to me they're neither right nor wrong. Others may think differently but the funny thing about supporting a football team is that your experience or of it doesn't invalidate my own and vice versa, so I struggle to understand the animosity that some feel.

Hopefully my shared experience can give you some level of understanding as to why I started supporting City, as you state that you can't fathom why anyone who didn't grow up in the shadow of Maine road would support them, because for the life of me I can't reconcile your desire for maintaining these parochial attitudes.
Great post. Some are born blue, some are drawn to being a blue. Neither has any hierarchy over the other. If you're a blue, you're a blue. It's that simple. We are one family because we all have the interests of our City in our hearts. Just like any family, we will disagree on some things, we will experience extreme joy together, we will also sink to our knees together but good or bad there will always be that common bond that will bring us back together as one, and that's our lads in blue. @billymumphrey your calling to being a blue is as valid as mine (no choice given to me by my Dad). You, Rabin and every other blue in the world are part of the City family and very welcome too. CTID

Can anyone confirm the ones abusing Rabin on Twitter are genuine Blues and not bogus accounts set up by his enemies?

I left almost 15 years ago and I rarely comment unless it’s a moan about some tosser slagging us off. I suppose It’s the only way I feel I can support them these days. Just watching on the telly doesn’t cut it for me although I watch all the league and chumps league games.I really miss going to the match and have only managed to go a couple of times since leaving. One thing I do still have a real hatred for is red twats wandering about in their shirts chests puffed out after a couple of wins or the dippers with a new found smugness. Glory hunting imbeciles one and all. I said the other day I’ve not met one blue new or old with an ounce of the arrogance of rags or dippers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.