City's "Hard Men"

Big Swifty

I was thinking of those players who are hewn from granite or tough as teak, and how many City have had in living memory.
I don't mean big or strong players, like our current cultured defenders, but those who strike fear into opponents and could apparently withstand anything thrown at them. I am also discounting nutters like Barton and Thatcher, or Tiatto, who was also a booking waiting to happen.

Those I have seen include (in roughly chronological order):

Roy Paul and Dave Ewing from the 50s - real hard men, if you never saw them.

Mike Doyle and Dave Watson from 60s/70s - iron men if anyone was.

Gerry Gow a bit later

Then Andy Morrison

Nigel De Jong in more recent times - and possibly Zabba too?

I can't think of anyone else. Only the very tough merit inclusion.

I was thinking of those players who are hewn from granite or tough as teak, and how many City have had in living memory.
I don't mean big or strong players, like our current cultured defenders, but those who strike fear into opponents and could apparently withstand anything thrown at them. I am also discounting nutters like Barton and Thatcher, or Tiatto, who was also a booking waiting to happen.

Those I have seen include (in roughly chronological order):

Roy Paul and Dave Ewing from the 50s - real hard men, if you never saw them.

Mike Doyle and Dave Watson from 60s/70s - iron men if anyone was.

Gerry Gow a bit later

Then Andy Morrison

Nigel De Jong in more recent times - and possibly Zabba too?

I can't think of anyone else. Only the very tough merit inclusion.
Dunny Monster ??

Download.jpg
Jacks ol´fella

Was hard because kicking people all he could do. In terms of striking fear into opponents, well he looked like a Geography teacher, so I guess youd only be really afraid of him if youd had some PTSD following an altercation with a thrown black board rubber during school years.
I do remember him crashing into a united player during a derby. (cant remember who but thought it was nice at the time)

Last edited:
I'm also gonna throw in Kolarov purely because of this
kolarov.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.