City's move to the Etihad

de niro said:
i was going to maine road for almost 40 years, seen many many changes. as people have said the changes did take its edge away. will never forget the alley ways, the houses that you could park your bike for a tanner, the chippy's and the long walk back to aytoun street. i'll never forget my time there, i'll never forget my first game or indeed the last. the ones in between are just a blur, as we won things we thought we'd always win things. mistake. this time round i'm going to do as Martin Tyler says, i'm going to "drink it in" we may never see anything like it again.

well not us old buggers anyway :)

Did you used to live in the dole office? :)

m7mcfc said:
de niro said:
i was going to maine road for almost 40 years, seen many many changes. as people have said the changes did take its edge away. will never forget the alley ways, the houses that you could park your bike for a tanner, the chippy's and the long walk back to aytoun street. i'll never forget my time there, i'll never forget my first game or indeed the last. the ones in between are just a blur, as we won things we thought we'd always win things. mistake. this time round i'm going to do as Martin Tyler says, i'm going to "drink it in" we may never see anything like it again.

I used to work there (I left there the day before we lost at Notts Co 1-0 in the cup). The game where their keeper had that blinder.

It's been closed/boarded up for years and the last time I was in the area about a month or so ago it was being knocked down. Sad to see it that way.

to me this is a fascinating topic as a North American. Most cities and teams here dont have much opposition to new buildings, except for very old and stories buildings like Yankee Stadium. But even in old hockey market cities like Toronto and Montreal the fans were sad to see the old buildings go, but, knew that they needed to be updated with new ones.

I get the sense from a lot of English football fans that the old buildings hold so much history that they'd rather be in cramped seating with less than luxurious buildings than move to a new state of the art facility and lose the history. Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge come to mind; it's hard to imagine people being okay with those stadiums being torn down.

blue b4 the moon said:
m7mcfc said:
de niro said:

I used to work there (I left there the day before we lost at Notts Co 1-0 in the cup). The game where their keeper had that blinder.

It's been closed/boarded up for years and the last time I was in the area about a month or so ago it was being knocked down. Sad to see it that way.
There is a site called 28 days later and in one of the pieces some guy had been inside Aytoun St and had taken photo's for posterity. Sad to see it looking so dilapidated.

silverback said:
blue b4 the moon said:
m7mcfc said:

There is a site called 28 days later and in one of the pieces some guy had been inside Aytoun St and had taken photo's for posterity. Sad to see it looking so dilapidated.

I'll have a gander at that site.

Went by on the Metro for the Stoke game and its just an empty space now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.